Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COPA AMERICA 2019 INVITE QATAR AND JAPAN;COPA AMERICA 2020 INVITE QATAR AND AUSTRALIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COPA AMERICA 2019 INVITE QATAR AND JAPAN;COPA AMERICA 2020 INVITE QATAR AND AUSTRALIA

WHY NOT IRAN

https://www.france24.com/en/20190613...0-copa-america

Australia have accepted an invitation to take part in next year's Copa America alongside Asian champions Qatar, who make their debut in the South American tournament this weekend, CONMEBOL announced on Thursday.

"We have decided to invite ... to participate in our competitions the current Asian confederation champions and the previous ones," said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American football's governing body.

The announcement came the day before the 2019 competition kicks off in Sao Paulo with hosts Brazil taking on Bolivia.

Qatar, the 2022 World Cup hosts, are participating in the Copa America as guests for the first time this year and line up in Group B alongside 14-time former winners Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay.

"Qatar are the last champions of the Asian confederation -- having champions participating in a competition always elevates the prestige and quality of football," said Paraguayan Dominguez.

CONMEBOL has 10 members but the Copa America usually features 12 teams meaning there are often a pair of invitees to the tournament.

This time around, Japan are the other guests, making their second appearance.

It will be the third continental championship Australia have contested.

Australia won four out of six editions of the OFC Nations Cup before leaving the Oceania federation (OFC) and joining the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) in 2006.

The Socceroos then won the AFC Asian Cup in 2015 at only their third attempt.

Although the tournament invitees are now known for next year's Copa America, the final venue is still a mystery.

For the first time, South America's showpiece tournament will have two hosts: Argentina and Colombia, even though they are at opposite ends of the continent.

"The decision has had to be postponed because the agency tasked with proposing the competition's format hasn't yet managed to present its final project," said Dominguez.

However, he insisted it would not be a two-legged affair shared by the two hosts and would instead be "played in one match, in one place."

The Copa America has mostly taken place in odd years throughout its history, which began in 1916.

Recently it was played in the year following a World Cup but is now moving to the same window as the European Championships, two years apart from the global extravaganza

Because Iran would embarrass every South American team out there... Honestly, it's for their own good!

Comment

Because we don't bring any sponsorship money or TV rights.

Comment

Originally posted by allan123 View Post
        WHY NOT IRAN

https://www.france24.com/en/20190613...0-copa-america

Australia have accepted an invitation to take part in next year's Copa America alongside Asian champions Qatar, who make their debut in the South American tournament this weekend, CONMEBOL announced on Thursday.

"We have decided to invite ... to participate in our competitions the current Asian confederation champions and the previous ones," said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American football's governing body.

The announcement came the day before the 2019 competition kicks off in Sao Paulo with hosts Brazil taking on Bolivia.

Qatar, the 2022 World Cup hosts, are participating in the Copa America as guests for the first time this year and line up in Group B alongside 14-time former winners Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay.

"Qatar are the last champions of the Asian confederation -- having champions participating in a competition always elevates the prestige and quality of football," said Paraguayan Dominguez.

CONMEBOL has 10 members but the Copa America usually features 12 teams meaning there are often a pair of invitees to the tournament.

This time around, Japan are the other guests, making their second appearance.

It will be the third continental championship Australia have contested.

Australia won four out of six editions of the OFC Nations Cup before leaving the Oceania federation (OFC) and joining the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) in 2006.

The Socceroos then won the AFC Asian Cup in 2015 at only their third attempt.

Although the tournament invitees are now known for next year's Copa America, the final venue is still a mystery.

For the first time, South America's showpiece tournament will have two hosts: Argentina and Colombia, even though they are at opposite ends of the continent.

"The decision has had to be postponed because the agency tasked with proposing the competition's format hasn't yet managed to present its final project," said Dominguez.

However, he insisted it would not be a two-legged affair shared by the two hosts and would instead be "played in one match, in one place."

The Copa America has mostly taken place in odd years throughout its history, which began in 1916.

Recently it was played in the year following a World Cup but is now moving to the same window as the European Championships, two years apart from the global extravaganza

Comment

Because we haven't won the Asian Cup forever. Simple as.

Comment

No question Qatar deserves to go.

Historically Qatar's national team is just as South American as the rest of the teams in the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
              No question Qatar deserves to go.

Historically Qatar's national team is just as South American as the rest of the teams in the competition.
              Especially if they got that sebastian fellow on the bench lol

Comment

WHY DID COPA AMERICA NOT INVITE US WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN INVITED INSTEAD OF QATAR

I see.
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

I think top two make it to the competition.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUKabP3zTI

Comment

Why are they inviting Asian teams to participate in Copa America?

Why is fifa even allowing this?

The point of these tournaments is to determine continental champions.

I've never looked into why this is happening.

Comment

I am sure glad Iran is not in this tournament.

QAT and JAP will come back with a few injuries.

That might hurt them once WC qualifying begins on 9-5-19.

Comment

They always invite 2 more teams because CONMEBOL only has 10 teams. Alot of teams decline invites so they go for whoever can get them more money.
                        Bringing in Qatar means BeinSports will pay millions more for broadcast rights.
                        Same deal with Japan.

Follow the money people... its not a big conspiracy or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sam20 View Post
                          Why are they inviting Asian teams to participate in Copa America?

Why is fifa even allowing this?

The point of these tournaments is to determine continental champions.

I've never looked into why this is happening.
                          Mo money, mo cash mo...

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                            They always invite 2 more teams because CONMEBOL only has 10 teams. Alot of teams decline invites so they go for whoever can get them more money.
                            Bringing in Qatar means BeinSports will pay millions more for broadcast rights.
                            Same deal with Japan.
                            Follow the money people... its not a big conspiracy or anything.
                            Thanks.
                            I can see the money aspect, and I'm just surprised that fifa would allow this, considering its ruining the whole purpose of the tournament. - Lol then again with how fifa operates these days, I guess I shouldn't be surprised because they're gettin greedy these days!

Comment

Mexico used to be a regular. I don't know why they stopped inviting them.
                              I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X