Alireza Jahanbakhsh @ Brighton & Hove Albion | 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
    Its embarassing that a short guy like Sterling can score two headed goals on a team that claims has "excellent Centerbacks"
    Genius Potter spent round 20M on one of his excellent center backs, Webster. But his style, just watch his style, don't worry about the results.

As I said, the only thing Potter has going for him is a good PR team
    Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

Watching these games, I have to admit that City, ,Liverpool and Man U before them, just did not push to make the score much worse. It could have easily been 7-8 goals each one of those games. If those teams had something to fight for, it would have been much worse.

Hey, but they made more passes and looked really slick while taking in 5.

Comment

Originally posted by nisfejahan View Post
        ^^^ What can I say except LOL

You wrote two pages trying to explain the piss poor results.

Here is my reply...... City 5 BHA 0

See results speak for themselves. You want points for style, go to a fashion show.
        You didn't read what I wrote as most of it was about the season and in relation to previous posts (before this game) rather than this expected gulf in performance, which has been pretty common for anyone facing City this season. Have you watched their games?

I suppose that and the fact that you choose to engage in ad hominem rather than provide any meaningful response to what I've written suggests you either don't want to or aren't capable of engaging me in a debate about our differing views. That's fine, just not sure why you keep quoting me if you have nothing noteworthy to say in response. Anyway, let's leave it there.

Comment

would be surprised if JB is there next season. nice afternoon jog for him

maupay has an attitude like knockaert

Comment

Originally posted by carsten_jancker View Post
            would be surprised if JB is there next season. nice afternoon jog for him

maupay has an attitude like knockaert
            What's wrong with maupay? I thought he's a good lad.

Comment

In all honesty I can’t wait for Alireza to leave Brighton so we can start a new thread and talk football instead of how much some people hate Potter.

Same sentiment from earlier , Alireza did well when he came on, I like the free role he was taking up with playing on both flanks and through the centre at time’s and this really suited him. Him and Maupay and Mooy from the limited time they played together before looked like they could work very well together.
              He made some very good runs but the ball was never there , shame he came on when he did because the team was downbeat from the beating they had taken and he was there to make a point. He played some good passes, sometimes played the easy ball when he could have took his man on but this is a confidence thing that comes with playing more minutes.

He has come across as nothing but a top class professional, hopefully he gets some more playing time so he can showcase himself before the end of the seasons and the transfer window.

Comment

Pothead should have done BHA a favor and forfeited the match before the first whistle.

That would have helped their GD as a 3-0 loss instead of this embarrassing display.

Comment

Damn i forgot u can sub in more than 3 &left back to Work dejected after ..!
                  When did he get subbed in .!? Any vids of his minutes played !?

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
                    You didn't read what I wrote as most of it was about the season and in relation to previous posts (before this game) rather than this expected gulf in performance, which has been pretty common for anyone facing City this season. Have you watched their games?

I suppose that and the fact that you choose to engage in ad hominem rather than provide any meaningful response to what I've written suggests you either don't want to or aren't capable of engaging me in a debate about our differing views. That's fine, just not sure why you keep quoting me if you have nothing noteworthy to say in response. Anyway, let's leave it there.
                    No sure why you insist on defending the indefensible. Here are his results and there is nothing ad hominem about them:

Finishes in the Swedish top league 5th and 8th.
                    Finish in Championship 10th.
                    Same results in EPL as CH (with more money spent).

He has achieved nothing of note yet. NOTHING. His only accomplishment, up to now, is hoodwinking BHA management. Once he actually achieves something, make sure to let us know.

As I said, Ghale Noi has better track record than this.

Comment

watched from the point he came on:
                      Pros:
                      - Great movement off the ball going forward, made some intelligent runs that could have opened up the defense if the right ball was played
                      - Fairly good in buildup, good passing with the exception of 1 instance i believe where he miscontrolled the ball

Cons:
                      - A bit lethargic in pressing from the front though against City it would be madness to chase down their defenders as they will always succeed in playing it out

Comment

1. Strange first para. Your say it's not the argument, despite the fact that I'm citing many anti-Potter comments, and you follow it up with "he's not a great coach" as if it's some sort of undeniable fact rather than your opinion. He's been coaching a decade. I'd argue he was a success in Sweden for the reason I stated above. He's not even finished his 2nd year coaching in England. You may not want to give the guy a chance because he doesn't play ARJ. That's your prerogative. I'm happy to judge coaches on the level they manage, the results they achieve and the quality of their squad in relation to the competition. I don't accept your opinion about British coaches. You support a British club, watch a British league yet display anti-British sentiment... what a peculiar bloke.

2. They're not "my statistics". They're sets of factual data that exist outside of this forum and are used by data analysts employed at many big clubs in major divisions in Europe. While these advanced metrics are key team performance, they are only supplementary to good coaching, tactics and scouting. They're not meant to be used in isolation to drive big decisions like team selection, player signings etc but scientific data is hard to deny. Well, I meant you can deny science, but it's not a side of an argument I'd ever want to be on. Seems odd that people who are aware of xG (I appreciate there are many that aren't) choose to bury their heads in the sand about its value. Data science is still in it's infancy in football but it's taking over and you guys who disagree will be on the wrong side of history.

3. Stats like xG don't "prove" team selection decisions. Potter as the coach of the team has the right to choose players over ARJ. As far as I'm aware, he's has full autonomy on team selection. Reasons for selection surpass in-game performance and stats. Obviously we don't see training or know what the coaches see everyday in training or how players follow their instructions. It's one thing for a player to have ability or score nice goals, it's another for him to respond to a coaches tactics or fit into his philosophy.

4. If I were to look at the stats between ARJ and March (your comparison, not mine) for this season, they're clearly in ARJ's favour but he's played 300 minutes. It's not nearly enough for a reliable data set. He has an xG of 0.59 because he's scored 2 very difficult goals. Solly March has had triple that game time but is hardly Potter's player of choice and been poor this season, no question. You should really be asking why Trossard over ARJ - the simple answer is Trossard is Potter's purchase. He inherited ARJ. As I said before, it's mostly likely that ARJ is out of favour for footballing reasons that we can't see in data analysis.

As for the March comparison, the better data set to look at, if you really want to do this, is last season. Happy to preface that they both played more defensively under Hughton, often out of position. ARJ played 1000+ minutes and March over double that. March had 1 goal, 5 assists. ARJ did nothing. His shot frequency over 90 mins was higher than March's but he paled in comparison on key passes and expected assists (0.19 to March's 5.21). This doesn't make ARJ a bad player, March just fit into Hughton's system as well and March had a much bigger advantage on experience in playing football in this country, ARJ like most foreign players needed time to adapt to the league and style of play.

Yeah, well done. You got me! City beat Brighton and completely out played them... how totally unexpected and proof that Potter is a bad manager.

I suppose the same goes for every other manager whose team has been completely out played by City this season. Spoiler alert: it's almost every team. Have a look at the seasons results.

In today's game, City had 71% possession, 26 shots on goal and 8 on target. Against Southampton in their last game, they had 76%, 26 shots again and 6 on target... they lost that 1-0.

Their xG against Brighton 5.52. Against Southampton it was 3.40. They dominated both games in chance creation and quality of chances. It proves the point I'm making about xG and the randomness of football. In theory both sides should have lost these games convincingly. You look purely at the scoreline and you don't get the full picture not just of the game in isolation but also of the entire season. Brighton have done this to other teams many times this season and been on the wrong side of the scoreline. It happens.

If you care to read above, I've answered your points.

The purpose of this forum is to share our point of views. It's my preference that my point of view hold some merit by being backed up with solid reasoning and hard facts wherever possible. I'm also open minded enough to listen to and concede to an equally qualified retort which opposes the views I hold and makes a sound case for why that I might have overlooked.

It's your call whether or not you do the same. I can't educate you on this subject or make you see sense, nor is it my intention or care to do so. You're (I'm assuming) a grown adult. You have to make those decisions and enlighten yourself.
                        Fair enough, but what about teams like Wolverhampton, Sheffield Wednesday, or even Burnley. Is Brighton an inferior organization? Are these teams heads and shoulders above Brighton? Do their fans have extremely low aspirations? Curious to hear your thoughts. If Leceister had this type of mentality, they would not have pulled off the miracle they did and would not currently be sitting in CL position.

Comment

1. Strange first para. Your say it's not the argument, despite the fact that I'm citing many anti-Potter comments, and you follow it up with "he's not a great coach" as if it's some sort of undeniable fact rather than your opinion. He's been coaching a decade. I'd argue he was a success in Sweden for the reason I stated above. He's not even finished his 2nd year coaching in England. You may not want to give the guy a chance because he doesn't play ARJ. That's your prerogative. I'm happy to judge coaches on the level they manage, the results they achieve and the quality of their squad in relation to the competition. I don't accept your opinion about British coaches. You support a British club, watch a British league yet display anti-British sentiment... what a peculiar bloke.
                          2. They're not "my statistics". They're sets of factual data that exist outside of this forum and are used by data analysts employed at many big clubs in major divisions in Europe. While these advanced metrics are key team performance, they are only supplementary to good coaching, tactics and scouting. They're not meant to be used in isolation to drive big decisions like team selection, player signings etc but scientific data is hard to deny. Well, I meant you can deny science, but it's not a side of an argument I'd ever want to be on. Seems odd that people who are aware of xG (I appreciate there are many that aren't) choose to bury their heads in the sand about its value. Data science is still in it's infancy in football but it's taking over and you guys who disagree will be on the wrong side of history.
                          3. Stats like xG don't "prove" team selection decisions. Potter as the coach of the team has the right to choose players over ARJ. As far as I'm aware, he's has full autonomy on team selection. Reasons for selection surpass in-game performance and stats. Obviously we don't see training or know what the coaches see everyday in training or how players follow their instructions. It's one thing for a player to have ability or score nice goals, it's another for him to respond to a coaches tactics or fit into his philosophy.
                          4. If I were to look at the stats between ARJ and March (your comparison, not mine) for this season, they're clearly in ARJ's favour but he's played 300 minutes. It's not nearly enough for a reliable data set. He has an xG of 0.59 because he's scored 2 very difficult goals. Solly March has had triple that game time but is hardly Potter's player of choice and been poor this season, no question. You should really be asking why Trossard over ARJ - the simple answer is Trossard is Potter's purchase. He inherited ARJ. As I said before, it's mostly likely that ARJ is out of favour for footballing reasons that we can't see in data analysis.
                          As for the March comparison, the better data set to look at, if you really want to do this, is last season. Happy to preface that they both played more defensively under Hughton, often out of position. ARJ played 1000+ minutes and March over double that. March had 1 goal, 5 assists. ARJ did nothing. His shot frequency over 90 mins was higher than March's but he paled in comparison on key passes and expected assists (0.19 to March's 5.21). This doesn't make ARJ a bad player, March just fit into Hughton's system as well and March had a much bigger advantage on experience in playing football in this country, ARJ like most foreign players needed time to adapt to the league and style of play.
                          Yeah, well done. You got me! City beat Brighton and completely out played them... how totally unexpected and proof that Potter is a bad manager.
                          I suppose the same goes for every other manager whose team has been completely out played by City this season. Spoiler alert: it's almost every team. Have a look at the seasons results.
                          In today's game, City had 71% possession, 26 shots on goal and 8 on target. Against Southampton in their last game, they had 76%, 26 shots again and 6 on target... they lost that 1-0.
                          Their xG against Brighton 5.52. Against Southampton it was 3.40. They dominated both games in chance creation and quality of chances. It proves the point I'm making about xG and the randomness of football. In theory both sides should have lost these games convincingly. You look purely at the scoreline and you don't get the full picture not just of the game in isolation but also of the entire season. Brighton have done this to other teams many times this season and been on the wrong side of the scoreline. It happens.
                          If you care to read above, I've answered your points.
                          The purpose of this forum is to share our point of views. It's my preference that my point of view hold some merit by being backed up with solid reasoning and hard facts wherever possible. I'm also open minded enough to listen to and concede to an equally qualified retort which opposes the views I hold and makes a sound case for why that I might have overlooked.
                          It's your call whether or not you do the same. I can't educate you on this subject or make you see sense, nor is it my intention or care to do so. You're (I'm assuming) a grown adult. You have to make those decisions and enlighten yourself.
                          Displaying anti british sentiment, please. get a grip and come off your high horse:rofl. The only reason this league is of any interest to anybody is because of the foreign ownership, management, and players. Otherwise nobody would give a rats ass what happened with the likes of burnley, brighton, etc. Not to say there arent decent british coaches, wilder has been particularly impressive, rodgers solid in his own right (although we saw the difference in class between somebody like klopp and rodgers). What makes somebody peculiar if they supported a team that owed much of its entire success to foreign players and a foreign manager and then criticizes over rated british talent and british coaches??

Anyways, your latest round of stats still failed to prove why ARJ has been in so few MATCHDAY squads. No matter how much rambling you continue with, it is very hard to make a case that ARJ has been so atrocious in his performances that he cannot even get a regular spot on the bench. We are talking about this season, not last. If ARJ has good stats given his minutes, does it make sense to draw the conclusion of , "Well, hes done decent given how much hes played, he deserves more minutes or at least a regular spot on the bench". Or does it make sense to say "well, thats too few minutes to judge, lets talk about last season instead".

You have a clear agenda if that is the way you want to twist your argument. THIS SEASON, in this CURRENT 19/20, covid interrupted footballing year, ARJ has done well with the minutes he has been afforded and it seems bizarre for him to get left out of as many squads as he has. The numbers of the competition in terms of xG, xA, and whatever are else are not so far ahead of him to warrant that treatment. The only peculiar bloke is yourself , ready to go to any length to justify his treatment. Its really as simple as you finally said, potter did not purchase him personally, and for that reason is shunning him, regardless of the teams needs. There are plenty of times this season ARJ could have been very useful at least off the bench and was in good form but was simply nowhere to be found.

And that proves my point about potter even more. Top coaches get the maximum out of their squads and the maximum out of every individual, regardless of if they purchased the individual or not. What kind of ridiculous mentality is that to simply not use one of your highest earners who performs well in his limited minutes because you didnt buy him? He has lost his team points b/c of that very mentality. You can ask brighton supporters how many games they have lacked creativity and a bit of technique to create a few decent chances and change 1 or 0 pts vs a lower midtable team into 3, and all they had was a solly march or aaron conolly.

Comment

Obviously it is always the coach fault when it comes to Iranian players, what has he done in his first season when he was getting reasonable playing time?
                            The guy has not been fair to to him? maybe.. But he failed to impress as well base on his price tag... And didn't help his case either.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
                              Obviously it is always the coach fault when it comes to Iranian players, what has he done in his first season when he was getting reasonable playing time?
                              The guy has not been fair to to him? maybe.. But he failed to impress as well base on his price tag... And didn't help his case either.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk
                              I would buy that argument if Potter was burning the barn without JB. But he has been a failure any way you look at it. His best on the field accomplishment is promoting a team into first division of Sweden. That’s it, nothing more. Nada. Then he finished 8th and 5th.

His best off the field accomplishment is hiring a good PR firm.

Comment

Personally never forgive pothead for gaslighting Ali although thanks to Ali's resolve and self belief pothead has failed. He tried to destroy Ali's confidence and he has almost done that to his fans by putting doubts in their minds that maybe Ali is not that great. When they paid 16m for him he was a great forward player with great scoring abilities. What happened during the first season is not Ali's fault in the slightest. He was placed in a shitty team with shitty players who held a grudge against him because of his price tag and never got him involved in the game.
                                هرگاه شما بازیکنی دیدید که از نظر تکنیک و قدرت بدنی فوق العاده است و همیشه یکسان است و تحت هیچ شرایط هیچ افتی ندارد شما یک فوق ستاره پیدا کرده اید در غیر اینصورت شما به یک بازیکن معمولی
                                نگاه میکنید.
                                sigpic
                                I am Persian. I used to rule the world. I will never be subservient to anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X