Iran vs Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sly View Post
    That would be a dream. Unfortunately I'm not sure it will happen and it was obvious today. This weak Syrian team created at least 2 dangerous scoring chances which hardly happened during CQ era. Beyranvand would hardly touch the ball against these kind of teams. He had to make an effort to save our goal today.

I hope I'm wrong and that this is just a first "getting to know you" game for Wilmots but my eye doesn't drink water.
    It doesn't hurt to have faith

Of course, Wilmots can be better judged once we play those gritty AFC games in the 2nd/3rd round. Especially if we play a tricky opponent like UAE/Iraq/Uzbekistan in an away game who are generally not so great but turn it up when they play us. I think Wilmots doesn't know how lucky he is that Qatar is already qualified. One less team to pull all the grassrolling tricks I bet we will see over the next 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by euphory View Post
      That is true, remember the team hadn't played a game since the asian cup. so it's obvious that it'll have some holes in it. we have to improve and improve fast.. and knowing the potential of our players, if they don't act stupid like the Japan game and grow up then we will have a very successful team.
      Well, we have had first friendlies in CQ's era as well but we hardly experienced these kinds of holes in our defense. The whole idea of his defensive strategy was for TM to always press the opponent ball holder with 2 men, while others gave support in case of a mistake by those 2 men. Today was the first time in a long time I saw almost a one on one situation in front of our goal. and this was from the lousy Syria. Again, I hope I'm wrong but I guess we will be better tested against S. Korea. I'm sure they are looking for a real revenge after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Futbaldoost View Post
        So far so good. Several good combinations by TM. The hypocrisy on the forum as usual: If we don't have results against slightly above average Asian teams like Syria, people on the forum say, oh we can't even score against sh***y Asian teams and then we dominate and score against such teams, we hear: so what that we score against sh***ty Asian teams. Come on guys, be fare. It's a descent friendly considering that we will face such teams many time during the WC qualifications. I have a sense that Wilmots is gradually introducing attacking football while keeping the team defensive cohesion and unanimity of spirit in place.

Go TM!
        Hez e baad mentality that affects us in many aspects of life: sports, socially, religiously, politically, economically, ect. Sticking to core principles & patience are a fade of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
          It doesn't hurt to have faith
          Believe me, I invented that idea.

Comment

Love this pic for many reasons, but mostly for the Unity it portrays:

Comment

What a difference between the last 2 meeting of these teams!

Comment

It's obviously too early to make any major judgments amigos but if I'm not mistaken, the last time we beat any team that's not ranked in the 150 range with a 3+ goal margin (never mind 5 goal margin) was Bahrain in 2011 a few months after CQ had taken over.

In retrospect, the future from that point on was pretty bright so I remain optimistic that we are on the same trajectory and Wilmots will just build-on or continue CQ's legacy adding the attacking dimension that we have badly needed against weaker teams.

Wilmots is obviously committed to bringing and testing new players (like CQ was, although maybe not as much in the last 2 years with major tournaments around the corner) which has been and will be a very good thing for our football short, medium and long term.

BIG Congrats to Sayyadmanesh... to score your first goal for TM not just in your first game but after just 9 minutes was brilliant but to become the youngest ever goal scorer for TM in the process... WOW!

What I really liked about this match was that the attacks (and therefore goals) were coming from everywhere... little Tiki-taka through the middle, low crosses, high-crosses and when possible scissor-kicks!

Looking forward to the Korea game and a little more solid opposition to see how we do against stronger opponents.

Comment

CQ laid the foundation for future success with the discipline he put forth. Wilmots will basically take that and sprinkle his ideology on top of it.
                  Our players were already great defensive minded players with CQ, so now you add that attacking mind with Wilmots and you got recipe for success.

Comment

I am and will be always grateful for the amazing contributions of CQ to our football. This has given TM a solid foundation to build on. At the same time we need to have a forward looking approach and focus on the future. I am impressed by Wilmots approach so far:

1- Bringing in Hashemian as his left hand is brilliant. Being consummate professionals, both of them have approached their relationship with 100% responsibility causing a great chemistry that has been evident in all the photos, videos, interviews and now the first game.

2- While focusing on the same structure that CQ built, he has started to make his own mark in a piecemeal fashion by:
                    a- Introducing a more free flowing and attacking football
                    b- Brining in the most talented young prospect with a great result in 10 minutes

3- Showing genuine care for unity of the team and individual connection with all players. His body language and behavior shows compassionate leadership! You can see this in the videos and photos and how he thanks his players, hugs them and is really present to them.

Overall, Wilmots has demonstrated wisdom and leadership in his first week with TM. I am impressed.

Go TM!

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                      Wilmots said he's going to play the same style against South Korea...!
                      Clearly a different psychological approach than “we are the underdogs”. It will be interesting to see how Wilmots prematch strategies become evident.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                        None of these games matter. We can't really judge Wilmots until we see how he does against the trickier teams during WC Qualifications.
                        We could beat France 10-0 in a friendly right now and it wouldn't really matter.
                        I don't disagree but, you can already see a few things that are different in approach to attack like how CQs team would go for crosses and play through the flanks whereas yesterday we were trying to go through the middle. that in itself is a nice change to see and im not saying it as a bash to CQ but it forces the team to be a bit more creative and takes pressure off the strikers. agree though, the real test will be in wcq's but still good to see us do well in a new system against a pretty decent asian side in syria and i'm interested to see how we do against one of the best in SK.
                        Team Meli Iran
                        Perspolis FC
                        Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Its still way too early.
                          CQ had us playing much more attacking from 2011-13, then we lost to Lebanon and Uzbekistan and he completely changed our style.

Comment

BTW S. Korea 1 Australia 0

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                              I don't disagree but, you can already see a few things that are different in approach to attack like how CQs team would go for crosses and play through the flanks whereas yesterday we were trying to go through the middle. that in itself is a nice change to see and im not saying it as a bash to CQ but it forces the team to be a bit more creative and takes pressure off the strikers. agree though, the real test will be in wcq's but still good to see us do well in a new system against a pretty decent asian side in syria and i'm interested to see how we do against one of the best in SK.
                              True but I never really rated Syria tbh. They are just a more gheyrati Arab team who uses the same tactics that teams like Bahrain/Qatar use to get them through 90 minutes. That and they have an above average for Asian standards striker(which Arab countries usually lack).

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                                True but I never really rated Syria tbh. They are just a more gheyrati Arab team who uses the same tactics that teams like Bahrain/Qatar use to get them through 90 minutes. That and they have an above average for Asian standards striker(which Arab countries usually lack).
                                definitely agree with you on the typical arab approach to tactics and also time wasting/anti football antics but disagree on their talent level - they're on par with Iraq, UAE, and Uzbekistan in terms of talent level player for player. physically strong and technically gifted like masoud said in the pre-match conference yesterday IMO
                                Team Meli Iran
                                Perspolis FC
                                Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Working...
                                X