Best Iranian Club Friendly ever to be played? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Iranian Club Friendly ever to be played?

Forum Staff

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,965 Times in 4,193 Posts

Meet your Persian Love Today
    I remember the game against Bayern Munich. In all honesty it was such a phony and unexciting match. You could tell BM was there for a cause if I am not mistaken and could tell they were trying to be nice and considerate.

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,363 Times in 6,414 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keano View Post
    I remember the game against Bayern Munich. In all honesty it was such a phony and unexciting match. You could tell BM was there for a cause if I am not mistaken and could tell they were trying to be nice and considerate.
    Club friendlies are the most pointless matches in all of football. Even worse are those stupid tours/tournaments that Euro clubs participate in North America, East Asia and the Middle East every Summer/Winter.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nokhodi For This Useful Post:

Forum Staff

ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Feel you. I for one have never bothered going to stadiums here to watch Barcelona/Real Madrid playing those fake games with US clubs. They do that at lease once a year and they just never interest me to go and watch. Unless one wants to go see the super stars up close. Otherwise it's just silly and it's done only for $$$

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Keano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keano View Post
    I remember the game very differently. PP outplayed BM most of the game but unfortunately, the finishing was not good enough.

Forum Staff

ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangekyou View Post
    I remember the game very differently. PP outplayed BM most of the game but unfortunately, the finishing was not good enough.
    Hence my point. What is the point of such friendlies if both teams don’t take the match seriously? Do you honestly believe that a Bayern Munich of then’s caliber would have let a team from. IPL trance them like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokhodi View Post
    Club friendlies are the most pointless matches in all of football. Even worse are those stupid tours/tournaments that Euro clubs participate in North America, East Asia and the Middle East every Summer/Winter.
    It's important because it's a great opportunity for our players to get scouted. Karimi for instance was only approached by Bayern after the Iran-Germany friendly.

PFDC Valedictorian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 486 Posts
    The Persepolis and Bayern Munich was a farewell match setup for Abedzadeh. If Karimi wasn't a Bayern player it probably would have never happened.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Attached Images Attached Images

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Santos with Pele played a ffew games in Iran 1972

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
    Persepolis played Ac Milan in 2013 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Iran has played lots of club teams in unofficial games. These are some of them:

Iran vs QPR 2005 (3-0 to QPR) : [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Iran vs Roma 2004 (5-3 to Roma): [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Iran vs Roma 1998 (7-1 to Roma) - this game Ivic tried a few different tactics, whatever happened we were prepared for the WC
    Iran vs Slavia Prague (1-0 to Slavia) [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A generally U23 Iran also played Man United in 1977 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A few (but not all), here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Thanks for the great info!

The 5-3 Vs roma was a great match.

If I Remeber correctly, daie scored the first goal with a great diving header.

Karimi was amazing, and if he finished the chance where he hit the crossbar, that woulda been one of the nicest goals ever from a TM player. He was amazing during this match!

PFDC Supporter
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,138 Times in 1,592 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam20 View Post
    Thanks for the great info!

The 5-3 Vs roma was a great match.

If I Remeber correctly, daie scored the first goal with a great diving header.

Karimi was amazing, and if he finished the chance where he hit the crossbar, that woulda been one of the nicest goals ever from a TM player. He was amazing during this match!
    Indeed, this was one of the matches which cemented Karimi's talents in our minds "He can do this against the best club sides". At the time I kept watching the clip of him scything through the Roma players. It was the same thing as he did against Ireland three years prior, and also the same year 2004 against Germany. I thought with all sincerity: "This is one of the most talented footballers in the world"

In retrospect though, it's hard to discount that this was a friendly. The Roma players were hardly going to bust their arses closing him down. Look at them and how they back down so easily, in the context of a friendly his amazing skill maybe wasn't as special as I/we thought at the time.

Karimi is still a very special player in Iran's history, just not quite the player we thought he was, or could be. Just my humble opinion

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DR Strangemoosh For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 141

You do not have permission to view the list of names.