Marc Wilmots to be named Team Melli’s manager: report - Page 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Marc Wilmots to be named Team Melli’s manager: report

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks

Meet your Persian Love Today
    My 2 cents on wilmots as someone who follows the Belgian red devils closely.

He was Leekens assistant coach before finally getting the Belgium manager job when Leekens left. Belgium improved a lot under wilmots compared to their time with Leekens. Now was it due to Wilmots qualities as a coach or the Belgian players were reaching their peaks? Can't really tell. He's really good at bringing a team together, create a good atmosphere within a team. He's a hard worker, you can't take this away from him.

On the other hand, it's safe to say that Belgium would have not looked so desperate with Martinez on the bench in the game against Argentina which sent Belgium home in the 2014 WC. He was often spot on while making subs. Keeping players on the bench hungry but again the depth of the Belgian bench was good enough to change a game against the likes of Algeria, etc. The same can't be said in big games. The euro 2016 was a real disaster, losing to Wales 3-1 or 4-1 I can't remember.

All in all, he's not a genius when it comes to tactical choices and managing a team during a game. I even remember something quite shocking, the Belgian national team wasn't training at all on their set pieces. He used to explain this choice by saying that it's a waste of time when you don't have enough time to prepare players during international breaks. Well, Belgium couldn't score a goal from a set piece against a decent team in front.

I'd say that his pros are his work rate, keeping players involved and having a good atmosphere within a large group. His game preparations were usually good too. His cons are his stubbornness, not reactive enough during a game when his A plan isn't going well and more importantly he's not the smartest coach to have on a bench during the game. He's also a short tempered guy, I seriously don't know how he will deal with the IFF and other thugs around getting involved in our football.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dcpp; 05-14-2019 at 02:28 PM.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpp View Post

He was Leekens assistant coach before finally getting the Belgium manager job when Leekens left. Belgium improved a lot under wilmots compared to their time with Leekens. Now was it due to Wilmots qualities as a coach or the Belgian players were reaching their peaks? Can't really tell. He's really good at bringing a team together, create a good atmosphere within a team. He's a hard worker, you can't take this away from him.

On the other hand, it's safe to say that Belgium would have not looked so desperate with Martinez on the bench in the game against Argentina which sent Belgium home in the 2014 WC. He was often spot on while making subs. Keeping players on the bench hungry but again the depth of the Belgian bench was good enough to change a game against the likes of Algeria, etc. The same can't be said in big games. The euro 2016 was a real disaster, losing to Wales 3-1 or 4-1 I can't remember.

All in all, he's not a genius when it comes to tactical choices and managing a team during a game. I even remember something quite shocking, the Belgian national team wasn't training at all on their set pieces. He used to explain this choice by saying that it's a waste of time when you don't have enough time to prepare players during international breaks. Well, Belgium couldn't score a goal from a set piece against a decent team in front.

I'd say that his pros are his work rate, keeping players involved and having a good atmosphere within a large group. His game preparations were usually good too. His cons are his stubbornness, not reactive enough during a game when his A plan isn't going well and more importantly he's not the smartest coach to have on a bench during the game. He's also a short tempered guy, I seriously don't know how he will deal with the IFF and other thugs around getting involved in our football.

Thank you for your measured analysis and background. Probably the most useful summary of Wilmots I've seen here so far.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:

Forum Staff
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpp View Post

Thank you for your well informed post I think this sounds very fair and on point after doing my own research on him these last few days. I said it in the beginning of when his name was being thrown around and I’m l will say it again...CQ was no different than Wilmots in terms of being a controversial figure where majority of the ppl didn’t like him and he had some alleged drama relating to players. Let’s hope he can turn out similarly too
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghermez Agha For This Useful Post:

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 664 Posts
    Should hopefully increase likelihood of some friendlies so at least we can recalibrate our expectations and get used to being served up shite football once again after a decade of spoils. What a time to be alive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 838 Posts
    I don't know what to make of this purported hire, don't know much about him as a coach other than dcpp's insightful post. However, let's give him a chance before we crucify him. He is the new coach of our beloved TM and he deserves a chance to prove himself.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KasraKhan For This Useful Post:

PFDC Valedictorian
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Again, I give credit to IFF for pulling this off AND arranging two friendlies against decent Asian opponents in June. This will be a great test run for TM since the loss in the Asian Cup, and will give MW a chance to show his worth early on. If all goes according to the reports, signing MW and arranging friendlies with SK & Syria is not at all a bad way to restart our continued evolution post-CQ.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:

Banned
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 769 Posts
    Good choice, i think he will do well for TM! He is experienced, has worked with Dick Advocaat, and has a strong and authoritarian personality like Queiroz, which is something we need!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sirvan For This Useful Post:

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,074 Times in 2,132 Posts

WELCOME TO IRAN!!!

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Leicester City For This Useful Post:

PFDC Top Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,359 Posts
    Guys, let's look ahead. The guy is 50 years old and full of energy. He's had failure before (just like CQ before joing us) and is hungry!

At the very least it will be a breath of fresh air to hopefully see TM having an attacking style after such a long time.

I was quite down and kinda disappointed upon hearing the news but now, slowly I'm getting positive and hopeful!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sly For This Useful Post:

PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I remember many of the Iranian football fans were also not happy when CQ became the TM's coach so what's new ?????? nothing !!!!!!

I say it again, based on the current situation of our Government and country , we should be very happy about Wilmots coming to Iran.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarbaz For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 407

You do not have permission to view the list of names.