Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asia takes 1st steps on road to 2022 World Cup in Qatar

Asia takes first steps on road to 2022 World Cup in Qatar
    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — The first steps on the road to the next World Cup were taken on Wednesday when the Asian Football Confederation held a draw for the first round of qualifying for Qatar 2022.
    Twelve of Asia's lowest-ranked teams will face each other home and away on June 6 and 11.
    The six winners will progress to the second round in September, grouped with powerhouses such as Japan, Australia, South Korea and Iran.
    Malaysia, the highest-ranked team in the first round at 168th in the world according to FIFA, will face East Timor, while Cambodia, coached part-time by former Japan international Keisuke Honda, meets Pakistan.
    In the other games, Laos hosts Bangladesh, Bhutan faces Guam while Mongolia takes on Brunei. Sri Lanka, Asia's lowest-ranked team at 202, meets Macau.
    The second round of qualification starts in September with 40 teams divided into eight groups of five.
    The winner and the four best second-place teams will progress to the next stage and will also qualify for the 2023 Asian Cup that will be held either in China or South Korea.

at the current trajectory, in short few years we gonna be forced to join these lot in Early Rounds for the WC and AC qualifications..!!

Comment

I really hope it's not a 48 team world Cup. It only means 2 round robin games! All so they can force China and other minnows qualify.

Comment

^ 48 team world cup would suck, it would take away the fun intensity of the qualifiers.
        --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
        --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
        ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
        --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
        ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Karimi 8 View Post
          ^ 48 team world cup would suck, it would take away the fun intensity of the qualifiers.
          It would be the beginning of the end of international football (which I believe is the intent). Milking a poor product for all its worth until people abandon it in huge numbers.

They're going to put more and more focus on their stupid club world cup tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
            I really hope it's not a 48 team world Cup. It only means 2 round robin games! All so they can force China and other minnows qualify.
            Decision will be given on June 5th.

Comment

Canada-US-Mexico would be ideal for 48 teams. Qatar is way too small to host that many teams.
              "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

48 team is a bad desicion, world cup must be the best teams. not any one who can qualify

Comment

Cambodia, coached part-time by former Japan international Keisuke Honda
                  Hahaha "part time by keisuke honda..." 😂
                  Honda: "okay lads, today we're gonna focus on short-passing *phone ringing* oh shit, it's my girlfriend I gotta go.

Comment

A World Cup should have 16 teams, 24 at the most.
                    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                      A World Cup should have 16 teams, 24 at the most.
                      then Iran should say bye bye to the world cup

Comment

Originally posted by Galactika View Post
                        then Iran should say bye bye to the world cup
                        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

16 is too little but 32 is just nice. 48 is pushing it

Comment

And world cup groups should be 5 teams and not 4.

4 is just too quick and unfair. You lose one game, almost impossible to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post
                              And world cup groups should be 5 teams and not 4.

4 is just too quick and unfair. You lose one game, almost impossible to recover.
                              It can't be an odd number because the last games of the group won't be at the same time as one team would have already played all of its games. I don't know how they are gonna get around this for a 48 team World Cup.

Comment

Working...
                              X