Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were the biggest flaws of CQ as team melli coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were the biggest flaws of CQ as team melli coach?

I agree to no doubt he was a great coach for team melli. I will start by saying, I absolutely didn't like how he dropped Khalatbari and didn't invite him to team melli ever again. He could have been a real asset for us and he was the difference maker for team melli in big games. The same goes for Vouria Ghafouri in the last world cup. He could have been a real difference maker. What do you guys think CQ did wrong in his time as our head coach?

Although Khalatbari was one of my absolute favorite players and I was really mad/sad he was dropped in the last minute, I think you have to give the coach the right to choose his own favorite players. I don't think keeping or dropping players can count as a coach's "flaw".

I would have rather seen CQ letting Torabi play a bit more too. But again....

Comment

Player selection

Comment

Beef with league coaches

Comment

Not incorporating Ghoddos more into WC team.

Comment

Too defensive.
            Too much hashieh with other coaches.

Comment

I love CQ and think he's Iran's all time best coach, I think we did well with the squad we had for WC 2014, did great for WC 2018 and were unlucky for AC 2019.

However, he has many flaws (in chronological order):

- Ending Rahmati's international career over Davari who couldn't give a fk about team melli
              - Dropping Khalatbari before WC 2014
              - Not taking Azmoun to WC 2014, taking only two strikers to WC 2014
              - Not playing Ghodos, Torabi more in WC 2018 and AC 2019
              - Not playing Majid Hosseini vs Japan
              - Playing Rezaian and not Ghafouri vs Japan

The three big ones,

- Being one of the best paid managers in the world and not being more appreciative. No one else would give you a job at this salary after Portugal WC 2010, and many many federations would have fired you after AC 2015, but despite that non stop bitching about our federation.
              - Sitting in hotel lobbies in UAE with the Colombian FA during AC 2019.
              - Not living full time in our beautiful country. As a lifelong Ghorbat neshin, I would love to Iran and would gladly do if I had 0.1% of his salary, but he lived 7 months outside the country.

Comment

Originally posted by marand92 View Post
                I love CQ and think he's Iran's all time best coach, I think we did well with the squad we had for WC 2014, did great for WC 2018 and were unlucky for AC 2019.

- Ending Rahmati's international career over Davari who couldn't give a fk about team melli

The three big ones,

- Being one of the best paid managers in the world and not being more appreciative. No one else would give you a job at this salary after Portugal WC 2010, and many many federations would have fired you after AC 2015, but despite that non stop bitching about our federation.
                - Not living full time in our beautiful country. As a lifelong Ghorbat neshin, I would love to Iran and would gladly do if I had 0.1% of his salary, but he lived 7 months outside the country.
                is this true?
                you can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marand92 View Post
                  The three big ones,
                  I think he did the right thing by dropping Rahmati and Aghili at the time. Both thought they were above team melli and were very reckless and had to be put in their places...

Comment

I think he was overall the greatest we ever had, but feels like during the end of his tenure (AC 2019) all our opponents had become aware of our tactics (long thrown-ins, corners etc) and they were not effective at all, compared to how dominant we were in the air earlier, like during AC 2015.

Comment

This is less a flaw of CQ, rather a flaw of Iranian Fans, but the cult personality around him really bothered me.
                      As for CQ himself:

- His ultra-defensive approach stopped him from utilizing the technique of Iranian players who are on an individual level the most talented.
                      - His inability to stay away from Iranian football drama and instead feeding into it by talking shit about people publicly.
                      - His constant complaining and anger outbursts in the sidelines which set a bad example for our already immature Iranian players.
                      - His Team selection. especially not inviting Kaveh Rezaei to the 2018 WC and insisting on starting Taremi and Rezaeian

Comment

-Insulting Iranian people
                        -Insulting respected Iranian legends
                        -Creating a divide between people sort of like the Iranian Revolution
                        -Player selection and bias
                        -Anti-football
                        -Creating a bad image of Perspolis and starting fights at times with Branko
                        -Failed to reach the RO16 of the WC while Russia did it with a vatani coach
                        -Excessive interviews/requests
                        -Hypocrisy
                        -Dishonesty

If you have questions about any of my points feel free to ask.

Comment

I disagreed with CQ's player selection for squads for each tournament he played, but the fact is that everything is relative. I disagreed with him much less than I did for his predecessors for whom there were so many ridiculous call-ups that we got used to it.

And sometimes his decisions were vindicated (Majid Hosseini, Beiranvand, Taremi, Ebrahimi and many others - players all of whom a lot of people criticised him when calling up, or dropping Rahmati/Aghili etc...) , even if I do think what might have happened if he took Sardar and Khalatbari to 2014, but every coach for every national team will make decisions like this for reasons we might not be aware of.

Some of the criticisms here are rather Utopian, we are talking about Iran (one of the world's most isolated, pariah states) here. "I would love to Iran and would gladly do if I had 0.1% of his salary, but he lived 7 months outside the country." You need to be realistic here agha, your points in that paragraph don't really work out in the situation Iran is in at the moment.

My other criticism is that his siege mentality backfired once the social media accounts for clubs started upping the ante. It was great for protecting the players but once social media accounts and newspapers (plus the odd TV journalist) start aggressively bombarding the national team and its players, the vitriol might have had a negative effect.

Apart from that, from decades of watching the national team, I couldn't be more proud going to the 2014 and 2018 world cup and being an Iran fan. He restored pride and brought the name of Iran back to the lips of football pundits, and the changes he made and professionalism he built into our previously deimi haphazard team were surreal, I never could have imagined that. There isn't a cult around him, just appreciation for what he did over his period without having the burden of other allegiances (why would there be a cult for a random portuguese coach with no other affiliation towards Iran or its national team)?

Not perfect, but the best I've ever seen coaching this nation.

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                            I disagreed with CQ's player selection for squads for each tournament he played, but the fact is that everything is relative. I disagreed with him much less than I did for his predecessors for whom there were so many ridiculous call-ups that we got used to it.

And sometimes his decisions were vindicated (Majid Hosseini, Beiranvand, Taremi, Ebrahimi and many others - players all of whom a lot of people criticised him when calling up, or dropping Rahmati/Aghili etc...) , even if I do think what might have happened if he took Sardar and Khalatbari to 2014, but every coach for every national team will make decisions like this for reasons we might not be aware of.

Some of the criticisms here are rather Utopian, we are talking about Iran (one of the world's most isolated, pariah states) here. "I would love to Iran and would gladly do if I had 0.1% of his salary, but he lived 7 months outside the country." You need to be realistic here agha, your points in that paragraph don't really work out in the situation Iran is in at the moment.

My other criticism is that his siege mentality backfired once the social media accounts for clubs started upping the ante. It was great for protecting the players but once social media accounts and newspapers (plus the odd TV journalist) start aggressively bombarding the national team and its players, the vitriol might have had a negative effect.

Apart from that, from decades of watching the national team, I couldn't be more proud going to the 2014 and 2018 world cup and being an Iran fan. He restored pride and brought the name of Iran back to the lips of football pundits, and the changes he made and professionalism he built into our previously deimi haphazard team were surreal, I never could have imagined that. There isn't a cult around him, just appreciation for what he did over his period without having the burden of other allegiances (why would there be a cult for a random portuguese coach with no other affiliation towards Iran or its national team)?

Not perfect, but the best I've ever seen coaching this nation.
                            well put, EEEN..!
                            especially the bold .!!

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                              well put, EEEN..!
                              especially the bold .!!
                              Thanks, though reading the post before mine makes me think we just don't deserve good things and happiness....

We deserve what we get, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X