• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Skocic aiming to get IR Iran back on track

Disappointing start for IR Iran in Qatar 2022 qualifiers
    Dragan Skocic appointed new coach of Team Melli
    Croatian spoke with FIFA.com about his goals

IR Iran have been a mainstay at the FIFA World Cup™ in recent years. With Carlos Queiroz at the helm, Team Melli graced Brazil 2014 and were the first Asian side to secure a berth at Russia 2018. And while they failed to go beyond the group stage in the latter tournament, they had the consolation of impressive performances there against Portugal, Spain and Morocco.

After Queiroz’s departure, the country’s football federation turned to Marc Wilmots, but after some disappointing results in the current round of Asian qualifiers for Qatar 2022, the Belgian was replaced. The new man at the helm is Croatian Dragan Skocic, who spoke with FIFA.com about his appointment and the task ahead.

"Being in charge of IR Iran is a great honour. My commitment towards the 80 million Iranians who support their national team is huge. I’m ready for this project and am looking forward to it with immense determination."

A look at Skocic’s resume reveals that this is his first time in charge of a national team, the 51-year-old having spent all of his coaching career at clubs in Croatia and the Gulf, such as Al Araby in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia’s Al Nasr. Despite his lack of national team experience, he is well aware of the task awaiting ahead.

"In contrast to a club, working with a national team allows you to choose from a large pool of players to instil your philosophy, although the downside is that you always have limited time to implement your ideas."

Staying in the race
    IR Iran suffered two defeats – against Iraq and Bahrain – in their opening four games in the AFC’s second qualifying round for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™. Given the quality of their squad, the team’s performance was not considered good enough. So how does the new incumbent plan to get them back on track?

"We’ll shortly be carrying out a detailed analysis of our team and those of our opponents as well. We’ll also be looking into new players who might join the squad. I have a clear idea of what’s required to improve our performances."

Those two defeats have Team Melli currently occupying third place in Group C, a position that would not take them into the final qualifying round. Asked about the very real danger of early elimination, Skocic says: "Our current position is bad, but we’re not yet despairing. Three of our remaining four games will be at home, where we’ll have massive support from our fans. I also believe we have a quality group of players, which is why I’m optimistic."

Help from the schedule
    Skocic’s side do indeed have grounds for optimism. Their next two fixtures will be against Hong Kong and Cambodia, who on paper at least, should be beatable. They will then host current group frontrunners Bahrain and Iraq, which should give them a shot at claiming one of the group’s two qualifying spots in the next round. "We have to be professional and respect all the teams, including Cambodia and Hong Kong."

IR Iran have reached the World Cup on five occasions. After back-to-back appearances in 2014 and 2018, the aim now is to secure a third consecutive participation for the first time.

"We’ve promised the people of Iran that we’ll go back to the World Cup, and we’ll do our utmost to fulfil that promise."

IR Iran's remaining Group C qualifiers:
    🏠 IR Iran - Hong Kong
    ✈ Cambodia - IR Iran
    🏠 IR Iran - Bahrain
    🏠 IR Iran - Iraq"

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/i...-qatar-3070210

Comment

We need 12 points. Anything else would be fatal. I can’t image not seeing Iran in the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by AMIRHOUSHANG View Post
        We need 12 points. Anything else would be fatal. I can’t image not seeing Iran in the World Cup.
        10 points (Winning the first three and drawing the fourth one) may be enough to make the next round at least as one of the best second placed teams. What do you think? Anyway we need to respect all teams and go game by game with the goal of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by M.U.F.C View Post
          10 points (Winning the first three and drawing the fourth one) may be enough to make the next round at least as one of the best second placed teams. What do you think? Anyway we need to respect all teams and go game by game with the goal of winning.
          We will win the next 4 games for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Babak_Shirazi View Post
            We will win the next 4 games for sure
            I hope so. The concentration should be always on the next game. We should go game by game.

Comment

Do you guys think can Soroush Rafiei be useful or not? We badly need a decent CAM.

Comment

Originally posted by AMIRHOUSHANG View Post
                We will respect all the teams.
                That being said, Hong Kong will be a 2-0/3-0 win in Iran. Hong Kong sets up so defensive we will have our chances.

Cambodia will be an away game but where we can go all offensive and take a win regardless of how little our defensive #s are.

Bahrain and Iraq will be our tests. Even under Wilmots we created many chances vs Bahrain.

Against Iraq, they have been a problem for so long for us but a game in Azadi is where we settle things once and for all.

I'm more confident than before because Skocic is showing he cares about Iran/Iranians as much as CQ did...unlike Wilmots
                Last edited by perspolis#1; 04-18-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.U.F.C View Post
                  Do you guys think can Soroush Rafiei be useful or not? We badly need a decent CAM.
                  Lol no. Ghoddos is your CAM. Gholizadeh, Dejagah, Torabi, Ghaedi can all play there.
                  golbezanpodcast.com
                  twitter.com/GolBezan
                  instagram.com/GolBezan
                  youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

No excuses

If we can’t beat Iraq and Bahrain in Iran , we really don’t deserve to go to the WC anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sarbaz View Post
                      No excuses

If we can’t beat Iraq and Bahrain in Iran , we really don’t deserve to go to the WC anyway.
                      It's sad that every WCQ campaign someone has to make this comment. I wish at some point in our Football history beating Iraq and Bahrain wouldn't be a challenge for us. Granted I know it's cyclical, but for as long as I can remember we have always have problem with these teams.

Comment

Originally posted by mahestan View Post
                        It's sad that every WCQ campaign someone has to make this comment. I wish at some point in our Football history beating Iraq and Bahrain wouldn't be a challenge for us. Granted I know it's cyclical, but for as long as I can remember we have always have problem with these teams.
                        Agree. Of course these teams get better yearly but so should we. I hope we can overcome.

Comment

But having lost to both of them on the road , we can not even afford a draw at home.

It’s crucial for us to win all of our remaining 4 matches an qualify as group leaders.

Comment

“Football is in Iranian players’ blood and we will play attacking football in the future. It was like watching a drama movie when Wilmots’s team were playing but I like action movies,” Skocic said.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                              “Football is in Iranian players’ blood and we will play attacking football in the future. It was like watching a drama movie when Wilmots’s team were playing but I like action movies,” Skocic said.

1. He said he prefers to play attacking football but whenever we have to defend, we will be ready for it.

2. He said he watched the last 49 games of TM. He also brought the CD of last 100 IPL games and he is watching them. He said new blood needs to be injected to the team although he said before he is experienced enough to understand that he should not make too many changes in the beginning. Hopefully the first thing is dropping Masoud Shojaei, Karim Ansarifard, Ramin Rezaeian, and even Hajsafi.

3. He said he does not think the difference between CQ's team and Wilmots's team was that CQ's team was more defensive. He said CQ's team had good discipline in most games but TM games under Wilmots were more like drama movie but I try TM games become like action movies.

https://90tv.ir/news/%D8%A7%D8%B3%DA...A9%D9%86%D9%85

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post

I'm loving Skocic so far but I would say TM's games(last 2) were more like popular tragedy movies like Msnchester by the Sea and Titanic

Comment

Working...
                                X