FIFA rankings- Iran still top of Asia - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIFA rankings- Iran still top of Asia

Power Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks

Meet your Persian Love Today
    This means nothing. Soon we will be 3rd or 4th in Asia.
    "And until I am the monarch, I will never let anyone take possession of movable and landed properties of the others by force or without compensation. Until I am alive, I prevent unpaid, forced labor. To day, I announce that everyone is free to choose a religion. People are free to live in all regions and take up a job provided that they never violate other’s rights."-Koroush Kabir

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,868 Times in 3,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
    The point is that we do need to always be aware of our FIFA rankings, because they define our seeding for tournaments which is usually (though not in the case of WC2018) quite useful in terms of potential group stage fixtures.

But we need to be careful in how we appraise our ranking. Being top in the rankings does NOT mean we are the best team in Asia. It means (both the FIFA and ELO rankings) that we have been the most consistent team and have had the best results on average. Particularly our results against our fellow Asian opposition has on average been better than Japan, Korea etc.... That's good, but we can't get carried away by this.

problem with this thinking is while there is some validity to it ( the seed system), it has negative impact far more than positive.

as for seed system. yes, you're right as it determines how we're placed in a qualification group or 1st round of tournamnts.
    But wait. surely we must not be that concerned with advancing from FIRST round of asian torunaments or groups, whether we're seeded A (1st to 4th rank) or B (5th to 8th).
    so seriously I wouldnt be that worried about this.

But that's all the "positives" I see in it.

now, if we didnt pay attention to this ranking, we remove the EXCUSE/COVER for under-performing and force TM and its coaches to raise their performance.
    That in turn will maintain any ranking points (if we're so concerned about it) AUTOMATICALLY.

So whether we pay attention to it or not, but if we tend to benefit from keeping it away from our priorities.

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,868 Times in 3,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mehdiKia15 View Post
    This means nothing. Soon we will be 3rd or 4th in Asia.
    which is great.
    and far closer to reality.

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 806 Posts
    he left the team, despie the defeat, as Number 22 in the world and number 1 in asia. we will now see without friendlies and so on, how long this will last...one of iran´s highest ranking....without using and wining fifa friendlies we will soon lose position..
    World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
    If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
    - They´d try!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to saeed_noro For This Useful Post:

News Editor
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,373 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Now that CQ is gone TM ranking 1st in Asian may not last long. I hope I am wrong. IFF doesn't deserve a good thing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siavash For This Useful Post:

PFDC Valedictorian
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,361 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Take your screenshots!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GolfePersique For This Useful Post:

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,000 Times in 1,569 Posts
    I only care about fifa rankings when Iran is ranked high and this is one of those times
    ----------------------Beiranvand---------------------
    --Rezaeian----Hosseini--Pouraliganji----Mohammadi
    ---------------Ezatolahi------Hajsafi----------------
    --Ghoddos-----------Dejagah------------Taremi---
    ------------------------Azmoun----------------------

General Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
    we shd STOP fooling ourselves with these meaningless rankings that HURT us more than help us

enough of this shit.

I'd rather be ranked 5th (which we might be in reality. or certainly 3rd or 4th) but SUCCEED in games that matter than be 1st but fail to even make the finals of AC
    I agree.
    People will always remember the teams that lifted the trophy that year rather than who was ranked top of Asia the time.
    Apart from us Iranians who will remember that we were top of Asia for several years? Exactly nobody.....

We were doomed in this Asian Cup since the beginning by this beeing ranked top of Asia thing.
    Since FIFA launched in the World Rankings in 1993 no team that headed to the Asian Cup as top ranked side ended up winning the Asian Cup.
    So there is certainly a curse over it.

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 787 Posts
    top of asia. woohoo

High-Ranked Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Only a few spots away from Italy Just imagine...if we went to final and won we might have surpassed Italy
    EAT. SLEEP. TM. REPEAT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread : 143

You do not have permission to view the list of names.