Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Islamic Republic Engraved on Asian Cup Trophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islamic Republic Engraved on Asian Cup Trophy?

After the game, I noticed on television, as they were engraving the Asian Cup trophy to add Qatar's name to the list of previous Asian champions already engraved on the trophy, that for the 1968 - 1976 champions, the trophy has been engraved with "Islamic Republic of Iran" as the champion. But there was no Islamic Republic back then - so shouldn't the trophy be engraved with "Iran" as the champion for those years instead?

They probably were paid by the Iranian dictators to write Islamic Republic... There is no other reason. Good eye .

Comment

That's fucking disgusting.

Comment

Are you sure it says that? Isn't this the trophy?

Edit: My bad that was just a rendition of it. This is it:

If you zoom in it does say IR Iran.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

You are giving the AFC too much credit. I don't think they realize or care enough to differentiate.

Comment

I think this is being blown out of proportion. It's customary to refer to countries by their current official names and, like it or not, that's IR Iran. Think about this scenario: if Iran were to win this year's edition, would they put "1968-1976 Iran" and "2019 IR Iran"? Of course not.

Comment

Working...
            X