Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which is bigger?2 back to back world cup or 3 asian cup championship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which is bigger?2 back to back world cup or 3 asian cup championship?

with CQ we have been to 2 back to back world cup, could we say this is harder than 3 consecutive asian cups?if 2 back to back world cup qualifiers is bigger and harder can we say this is the golden period of TM football?

Winning the Asian cup is harder than qualifying for the world cup.

That should be enough to answer your question.

Comment

Similar to what matters most finishing in top four or winning the cup title

Comment

Three Asian Cup Championships. Especially now that 4.5 teams from Asia make it to the World Cup while only one team can/could be the Asian Champion.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Both answers above are very logical. I want to make some additions. Back then, it was harder to qualify for the world cup. AFC and OFC had only one spot. We didn't enter 1970, we probably would have qualified if we did. In 1974, from what heard we had an unlucky first leg semi-final game against Australia and lost it 3-0. In the return leg, we won 2-0 and that was not enough. Iran was a powerhouse in 1970s. There was a huge gap. The B team was able to beat any other Asian team.
          Anyway, I think the team we had in the late 90s and early 2000s was much stronger than this team. Australia was a superb team and we eliminated them. Some might say we were lucky but, we were very unlucky not to qualify from the group and the playoff against Japan. I don't even want to talk about 2002 (that Bahrain game). We could have eliminated Ireland if Karimi didn't miss those two one on ones in Dublin.
          The team we have now is good but not the best.

Comment

For me winning a silverware is a more special occasion that gives more memories than qualifying especially if you follow a big team that is expected to qualify.

There are some qualifying moments like yours vs Australia or England vs Croatia that are an ever lasting memory for the fans but a title win is memorable every time.

I don't think when you guys booked your place for the last world count as the top three memorable games of Iran ?

Comment

the reason i am comparing is because back in the late 60s to end of 70s, there were not alot of strong asian teams, and we won 3, but the 1970 world cup ,1974 world up we failed to qualify. however now there is more spots, however now teams have improved and is not as easy as long time ago. that is my atgument i believe qualifying for world cup is harder and is a bigger achievment.

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan singapore View Post
                the reason i am comparing is because back in the late 60s to end of 70s, there were not alot of strong asian teams, and we won 3, but the 1970 world cup ,1974 world up we failed to qualify. however now there is more spots, however now teams have improved and is not as easy as long time ago. that is my atgument i believe qualifying for world cup is harder and is a bigger achievment.
                We didn't enter the 1970 World Cup qualifiers. We were in the round of 16 of the 1978 World Cup.
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Being in the world cup is more important the winning the asian cup
                  WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

3 AC .… hands down & without a second wasted

Now, if you had said 2 consecutive round of 16 WC, then I'd have chosen that.
                    but mere qualifying for WC, vs 3 championships? AC

Comment

I would put it this way Qualify to round of 16 in world cup >>>> winning 3 cups in a row in afc asian cups

Comment

3 AC of course, then we can play in the confederations cup ( FREE FRIENDLIES LOOOOL) and we will qualify for wc, tamam.

Comment

You do know that the WCQ is also played against Asian teams right?

Comment

3 ACs.

No other Asian team has been able to do it ever since Iran did it.

Comment

Originally posted by maziar View Post
                              Both answers above are very logical. I want to make some additions. Back then, it was harder to qualify for the world cup. AFC and OFC had only one spot. We didn't enter 1970, we probably would have qualified if we did. In 1974, from what heard we had an unlucky first leg semi-final game against Australia and lost it 3-0. In the return leg, we won 2-0 and that was not enough. Iran was a powerhouse in 1970s. There was a huge gap. The B team was able to beat any other Asian team.
                              Anyway, I think the team we had in the late 90s and early 2000s was much stronger than this team. Australia was a superb team and we eliminated them. Some might say we were lucky but, we were very unlucky not to qualify from the group and the playoff against Japan. I don't even want to talk about 2002 (that Bahrain game). We could have eliminated Ireland if Karimi didn't miss those two one on ones in Dublin.
                              The team we have now is good but not the best.
                              Previous teams might have had bigger stars but our current team has a top 5 asian player in every position, and not hard pressed to say our top 2 player in every position is within top 10 in Asia

Comment

Working...
                              X