No announcement yet.

Asian Cup Playoffs and Iran's losing streak in Penalties and Overtime losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian Cup Playoffs and Iran's losing streak in Penalties and Overtime losses

Hello guys. I been a follower for a long time but never posted here. I been meaning to create this post and with so many fans it would be great to discuss. You guys can download the excel at the bottom and just plug in the numbers to see who Iran will face in the playoffs.

Based on my calculations Iran will play China in the quarters and Japan in the Semis. If in the final it will be a good chance we will face Saudi or Australia there. If Korea does not win against China then there is a good chance we will play S. Korea in the quarters. Korea has lost to Iran 4/5 games under CQ. The last game was a draw and the 4 before Iran won. From those 5 games (4 were world cup qualifiers) which Iran won 3 of them and 4th was a friendly. Going before that and CQ time we lost to them in the quarter finals of the Asian Cup in 2011. I think Korea will come out and try to beat China as they do not want to face Iran.

Going back to 1996 Asian cup we have played Korea in 5 consecutive cups to 2011. We won twice and lost 3 times. In 1996 we won in the infamous 6-2 route while in 2000 we lost in overtime after Bagheri firing that missile. In 2004 we won off of Karimi brilliance 4-3 and in 2007 we lost to them in PK's and in 2011 in an overtime goal loss. So technically the 3 times the game has gone to OT we lost once in Pk's and twice in OT. We can say Iran is not a good side at all when it comes to overtime and Pks.

From 1996 till now which means 6 cups have been played we have lost every single time in Overtime and Pk's. Twice in OT and 4 times in Pk's. Pretty pathetic!

1996 (Saudi PK loss)
    2000 (Korea OT loss)
    2004 (China PK loss)
    2007 (Korea PK loss)
    2011 (Korea OT loss)
    2015 (Iraq PK loss)

I hope this time around we can just crush every team and go forward. This kind of reminds me of Italy losing in every world cup from 1990 to 2002 (4 cups in OT or PK’s) and finally winning the WC in a PK shoot out after 4 losses in a row. For Iran its 6 losses so hopefully this time around it will be a charm!

I highly believe under CQ things can be different. We should just try to finish the job in 90 minutes and go from there. In the last cup we had the game until that UNJUST red card was given against Iraq and we played almost 90 minutes with 1 man down. Still managed to come back from behind twice in Overtime and only lost in Pk's in which Haghighi could not save one if his life depended on it (0/8).

This time around with CQ and Beiranvand I have much more confidence but truly hope it does not come to that.

http://www.weglobalfootball.com/downloads/
    (Excel Link for Asian cup simulation)
Working...
X