No announcement yet.

Rest in peace Iraj Danayeefar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He will be remembered forever. He scored Team Melli's first ever World Cup goal. Rest in Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by OFFSIDE_1 View Post
      He was such a feisty player. As was said above, he was extremely semej as a player. One of the talented players that had his career cut short because of the revolution .... RIP
      I wouldn't say his career got cut short. He played in the 1980 Asian Championship after the World Cup and retired from team melli at age 29. In addition to his age the fact that he was playing half way around the world also could have been a factor in his team melli retirement. He retired from club soccer at age 33.
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Rest in peace Iraj Danayeefar! He died young. Wish patience for his family.

Comment

hala ke taraf mordeh rafteh, hameh yadesh oftadan. typical of us!!

RIP Danayeefar

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
            I wouldn't say his career got cut short. He played in the 1980 Asian Championship after the World Cup and retired from team melli at age 29. In addition to his age the fact that he was playing half way around the world also could have been a factor in his team melli retirement. He retired from club soccer at age 33.
            true. He did continue his career in the NASL. His career however would have continued in Iran had it not been for the revolution.
            “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
              Was that due to the phony ‘Tarhe 29 saaleha’? If I am not mistaken somewhere during the first decade of the IR, they passed a regulation which prohibited players above the age of 27 or 29 from playing professional football/TM. Could someone confirm this? I believe one of the reasons Nasser Hejazi also got crossed out of TM at his peak and younger age was because of this idiotic rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It was around 3am Tehran time. We were glued to the TV to watch Iran vs Scotland. Iran had already lost it's WC78 opener game 3-0 to Holland. Scotland had also suffered a 3-1 defeat in the hands of sensational Peru in their first game. Both teams needing a win to keep their hope of advancement alive. Expectation however was for Scotland to win with relative ease. A start-stud Scotland could only mange a 1-0 lead through an own goal until the second half. Iraj Daniefard who was absent in the first game was introduced in the game with Scotland. He brought the whole nation to joy by scoring a beautiful goal. He became the iranian football hero over night..God bless Iraj. He was a great footballers ..he will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Keano View Post
                  Was that due to the phony ‘Tarhe 29 saaleha’? If I am not mistaken somewhere during the first decade of the IR, they passed a regulation which prohibited players above the age of 27 or 29 from playing professional football/TM. Could someone confirm this? I believe one of the reasons Nasser Hejazi also got crossed out of TM at his peak and younger age was because of this idiotic rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  They did make that rule. Hejazi actually claimed it was made to make sure he was omitted from TM as he was vocal about his opposition to IR. Even without it though I think he would have retired from TM when he did as he was half way around the world and the war with arogh had just started.
                  I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Working...
                  X