A blast from the past...The Helicopter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A blast from the past...The Helicopter

I was reminiscing about early 2000s when Iran was hopeful for AC'04 and WC'06.

In the early 2000s, in preparation, there was one guy missing; Vahid Hashemian (VH)

For personal reasons, VH and TM had drifted. All while, he put 34 goals for Bochum in Germany. Afterwards, onto Bayern (only 9 caps) and later Hannover96 (almost 80 caps).

A little blast from the past in this gallery.

The controversy ended eventually as we all remember it. He came back - rising 'helicopter' header in WCQ defeating Japan was a one I personally remember. Those were the times where Iran was putting 5+ past the Persian Gulf nations and likes of Bosnia (who have now become the Eastern European giant of a team with Dzeko and others).

He never put in 34 goals in one season, his max was 16

Comment

That's correct, 34 goals, I'm not sure if any other Iranian has been able to do the same in Europe.

Or intern with Pep for that matter.

Comment

He had an amazing season scoring 18 for Bochum and then Bayern Munich signed him.

I actually think Bayern kinda stifled the momentum for him more so than Daei (whose 7 goals in 26 games at Bielefeld was pretty respectable and went on from Bayern to his fantastic CL performance at Hertha) and Karimi (who finally woke up after wasting away in Dubai, but unfortunately was only ever destined to return to the Persian Gulf...)

Comment

I love Vahid but tbh in highest level he had only one good or better to say amazing season which he finished as 4th best scorer in league, his other seasons were quite dissapointing. But that amazing season helped him to get Bayern contract and later on Hanover's one.
          He wasn't good enough for Bayern lets be honest.

Comment

I remember the fiasco Ivankovic went through to get Hashemian rejoin the national team in 2005. We had plenty of discussions about the issue here on PFDC around that time. Vahid's presence in the Asian Cup 2004 would have been really helpful... His best ever moment for the Iran national team was the brace scored in an encounter with Japan, for an eventual 2-1 win. A truly capable striker for Bochum but a mixed record with Iran NT.
            sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

he had this pompous sorta personality which i despised in him, and could never warm up to him as a TM player..!
              he was nonetheless, one of the very few above-avg. target strikers in recent history of TM..!
              in his career peak, he prioritized his club career well ahead of the national team cause, hence his somewhat impressive EU scoring stats..! he was your typical Big Fish in the Small Pond sorta player who simply couldnt cut it as regular @ ByernM..!

after his playing career, he went about building his coaching resume in a very professional and methodical way and academically excelled in the process but he is yet to attain a respectable enough of a coaching gig regardless.... at least as of yet..!! wonder why..??? humm..... could it be his (for lack of better word) "Onogh" personality..??
              which oddly most of you lot in here always took as a clear sign of Professionalism..??

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                he had this pompous sorta personality which i despised in him, and could never warm up to him as a TM player..!
                ?
                Bro I always thought he had a reputation of being really humble and softly spoken? That's the impression I got anyway. Why did you perceive him to be pompous?

Comment

Hashemian saved Branko's job in 2004 also. We were about to be eliminated by Qatar in the third round of AFC qualifyinh until he scored a last minute goal.

Comment

I was expecting him to be coaching by now, at least a 2nd/3rd Bundesliga team with the idea of progressing to better teams. Kinda disappointed with the speed he's been progressing.

Our ex-players have either been taking the Irooni fast route of coaching without badges and education or doing the education and badges but taking their sweet time!

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                      Bro I always thought he had a reputation of being really humble and softly spoken? That's the impression I got anyway. Why did you perceive him to be pompous?
                      about the BOLD, on the surface, yea perhaps come across that way..!, but the exact opposite in reality, i always felt..!!
                      its hard to explain, (cant think of a good word to describe it)but he was like that annoying fking student in the class, who would suggest to the teacher that he should give more homework or test ..??
                      he definitely thought too highly of himself and wanted certain specific (mostly unrealistic) conditions on ground before agreeing to grace his presence in TM..!!

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                        Hashemian saved Branko's job in 2004 also. We were about to be eliminated by Qatar in the third round of AFC qualifying, until he scored a last-minute goal.
                        Good point, also Arash Borhani scored an important goal in that match, if I remember correctly.
                        sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
                          I love Vahid but tbh in highest level he had only one good or better to say amazing season which he finished as 4th best scorer in league, his other seasons were quite dissapointing. But that amazing season helped him to get Bayern contract and later on Hanover's one.
                          He wasn't good enough for Bayern lets be honest.
                          "4th best scorer in Bundesliga. his other seasons were quite dissapointing". Wow ....

Today, we're just hoping to get a player in the Bundesliga. May be a few minutes here and there. We'll even take a player in the Bundesliga with a disappointing season.
                          “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X