Top 5 Iranian soccer heartbreaks - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Iranian soccer heartbreaks

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,502 Times in 2,490 Posts

Meet your Persian Love Today
    Only top 5? I've had a different top 5 list every year since starting to follow TM in 2006!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:

شریف حریف نداره
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,096 Times in 6,316 Posts
    نمودی ما را. گه گاه چیزی نگو.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

High-Ranked Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    The game against Suadi in Azadi in the 2010 qualifiers was reaaly bad too. I was 15, at my grandmas house in Iran and used her blood pressure device after. my blood pressure was 150/95

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    China in AC04 and Iraq in AC 2015. Nothing else comes close. These two results imo stopped us being crowned champions of asia.
    you can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,820 Times in 2,524 Posts
    Bahrain-Iran 2002
    Iran-Spain 2018
    Iran-Yougoslavia 1998
    Iran -Mexico 2006
    SK -Iran 2009

formerly known as heinzeronaldinhoPSG

General Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Bahrain - Iran 2001 will stay forever the most painful memory. It was my first Teammelli game I watched. I started getting more into Football and I was so excited and also surprised to see that Iran was first in the table and hold the destiny in their hands. The game itself looked very fishy to me. Like Iranian players entered the pitch to lose. I heard later that there were romours that the players were forced by the government to lose. I don't think any of the players stated that but according to them it was because of all the "bad circumstances".
    Nothing will ever come close to this Bahrain-Iran game.
    I really thought that this team had a reasonable chance to pass the first round in Japan/South Korea. The playoff loss to Republic of Ireland showed that.

شریف حریف نداره
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,096 Times in 6,316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KC McElroy View Post
    To me it needs to fulfill at least a few of these criteria. It should be a game we expected to get a result. We end up not getting the result. It should be decided late in the game. The result should have an impact on advancing or not. There shouldn't be a chance (meaning another game afterwards) to undo this game's impact. The ref played a part in us not getting a result. With that being said, here's my list starting with the worst.

1992 Asian Championship: Going into our last game we just needed a tie against Japan to advance but the AFC did all it could to allow Japan to advance instead. We were constantly subject to uncalled Japanese fouls while the slightest of our contacts would get whistled. A simple bump lead to our first red card which was to be followed with 2 more red cards and suspensions to players who weren't even involved in the alleged red card offenses. A clear offside ball was called onside, allowing Japan to beat us with a 87th minute goal and eliminate us.

2015 Asian Championship: On paper we were the better team against arogh and showed it on the field as well up until Pouladi's red card which should have in fact been a yellow on the aroghi keeper for shoving Pouladi. Playing a man down we twice came back from behind, the second time with only 2 minutes left. It never should have gone to penalty kicks and our eventual elimination.

2004 Asian Championship: Much like the 1992 version, the hosts needed help from the ref in the form of a red card to eliminate us. Even worse was the red card that wasn't given to them after they chopped down Karimi from behind on his one on one breakaway chance. We were better on the field and should have advanced.

2001 World Cup qualifier: We held our own destiny and would have qualified had we beaten the grass rollers. Something happened to us, something that to this day I can't even figure out. We had beaten harder opponents and yet did everything wrong in the last match against inferior opposition. The loss eliminated us from direct qualification.

1984 Asian Championship: Leading the 8-0ers with just minutes remaining in a game that we were all over them from the beginning, we conceded a late own goal and eventually lost on penalties.

Honorable mention:
    2014 World Cup: Iran 0 Argentina 1
    1973 World Cup qualifier: Iran 0 Australia 3
    2000 Asian Championship: Iran 1 South Korea 2
    2018 World Cup: Iran 1 Portugal 1 (technically not a loss but felt like one)
    I should change that to 1973 World Cup qualifier: Iran 2 Australia 0. After the first game we still had a chance in the return leg but in spite of our 2-0 win we were eliminated so it feels like a loss.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

PFDC Supporter

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,633 Posts
    I still feel the pain of the four AC losses that broke my heart. We could have won all 4 AC's in my opinion.
    1996 vs. Saudi
    2000 vs. Korea
    2004 vs. China
    2015 vs. Iraq

On a club level, even though I was a die hard red fan, Esteghlal's loss in the final of 1999 was painful. Missing 20 good chances on home soil. I wanted Naser khan to win that tournament. 99 out of 100 they would have won that game.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to _Navid_ For This Useful Post:

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,072 Times in 916 Posts
    ^^ Also WCQ 2002 , WCQ 2010
    Iran deserves better, TM deserves better.
    O.G from '97 & still here

PFDC Supporter

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pajamNL View Post
    ^^ Also WCQ 2002 , WCQ 2010
    True, although there the pain was more spread over a tournament rather than a single game or moment. In 2002 we missed so many chances in the first leg game vs. Bahrain and away against Saudi. Otherwise there wouldn't be any need for the cursed last game at all. 2002 team was head and shoulders more talented than 2010. Pity we missed the world cup.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to _Navid_ For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 52

You do not have permission to view the list of names.