Top 5 Iranian soccer heartbreaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 5 Iranian soccer heartbreaks

To me it needs to fulfill at least a few of these criteria. It should be a game we expected to get a result. We end up not getting the result. It should be decided late in the game. The result should have an impact on advancing or not. There shouldn't be a chance (meaning another game afterwards) to undo this game's impact. The ref played a part in us not getting a result. With that being said, here's my list starting with the worst.

1992 Asian Championship: Going into our last game we just needed a tie against Japan to advance but the AFC did all it could to allow Japan to advance instead. We were constantly subject to uncalled Japanese fouls while the slightest of our contacts would get whistled. A simple bump lead to our first red card which was to be followed with 2 more red cards and suspensions to players who weren't even involved in the alleged red card offenses. A clear offside ball was called onside, allowing Japan to beat us with a 87th minute goal and eliminate us.

2015 Asian Championship: On paper we were the better team against arogh and showed it on the field as well up until Pouladi's red card which should have in fact been a yellow on the aroghi keeper for shoving Pouladi. Playing a man down we twice came back from behind, the second time with only 2 minutes left. It never should have gone to penalty kicks and our eventual elimination.

2004 Asian Championship: Much like the 1992 version, the hosts needed help from the ref in the form of a red card to eliminate us. Even worse was the red card that wasn't given to them after they chopped down Karimi from behind on his one on one breakaway chance. We were better on the field and should have advanced.

2001 World Cup qualifier: We held our own destiny and would have qualified had we beaten the grass rollers. Something happened to us, something that to this day I can't even figure out. We had beaten harder opponents and yet did everything wrong in the last match against inferior opposition. The loss eliminated us from direct qualification.

1984 Asian Championship: Leading the 8-0ers with just minutes remaining in a game that we were all over them from the beginning, we conceded a late own goal and eventually lost on penalties.

Honorable mention:
    2014 World Cup: Iran 0 Argentina 1
    1973 World Cup qualifier: Iran 0 Australia 3
    2000 Asian Championship: Iran 1 South Korea 2
    2018 World Cup: Iran 1 Portugal 1 (technically not a loss but felt like one)
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

^ Dadash we played Argentina in 2014 WC

Comment

I've been following TM since 2009 and AC 2015 was definitely the biggest heartbreak..

Comment

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
        ^ Dadash we played Argentina in 2014
        Corrected.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

For me, personally:

Iran 1-1 Portugal @ World Cup 2018
          Iran 3-3 Iraq @ Asian Cup 2015
          Iran 0-1 Argentina @ World Cup 2014
          Iran 1-1 China @ Asian Cup 2004

Comment

My top 5:

5. Portugal-Iran 2018
            4. Iran-Argentina 2014
            3. Iran-Saudi Arabia 2009
            2. Iran-Iraq 2015
            1. Korea Republic-Iran 2009 <--- I hope we never miss the world cup again.

Comment

1. Iran - Bahrain 2001.

2. Iran - Argentina 2014

3. Iran - KSA (Semi final) 1996

4. Iran - China 2004

5. Iran - South Korea (both legs) 2009

Comment

Top for me was that goddamn miss by Taremi against Portugal, holy shit I still get upset when I see his face these days

the rest:
                2. 2015 asian cup, Pouladi red card. One of the most demoralizing refereeing decisions I have ever seen
                3. Home loss against the Saudis in 2010 WCQ. Heart breaking, in front of 120k fans. God we were bad that year. Was probably best we didn't embarrass ourselves at that world cup with the weak team we had.
                4. Messi.

Comment

Iran - China 2004: This was the BIGGEST ROBBERY i've ever witnessed in football. I'll never forget that UNBELIEVABLE move Karimi pulled to actually rip through two defenders and go on a clear breakaway. He was CLEARLY INTENTIONALLY tackled directly from behind, and somehow the Chinese defender (home team) was not given a red. To this day, I still cannot understand how on earth AFC or that ref were not punished, or investigated for match fixing.

Iran - Bahrain 2001: This was one of our best individual teams ever, with Karimi and Mahdavikia in their prime, and Daei still playing well, along with Bagheri, etc. It was somehow 2-1 for Bahrain, and their 3-1 goal was incredibly sketchy: It went in waaaaay to easily, and honestly looked like there was something fishy going on behind the scenes but we'll never know for sure.

Iran - Iraq 2015: Completely unfair red card to pouladi ruined it for us, and i'm pretty sure we would have gone on to win the Asian Cup

Iran - Spain 2018: We defended sooo well and had we gotten a point VS Spain, things could have been different, but they got a super fluky goal with that deflected clearance off of Diego Costa's foot, and then Taremi blew an amazing chance to draw level.

Iran - Argentina: We did get a bit lucky that Argentina hadn't put one of their several decent chances away, but we limited them to just that, decent chances, and no clear cut opportunities. Yet, Messi came up with an amazing shot with just a couple minutes remaining, forcing us to abandon our defensive style VS Bosnia in the next match, resulting in a really disappointing 3-1 there.

Comment

I know how important the WAFF tournament and Asian cup 1955 was to you but there is no single moment that hurt more then Messi scoring that 90th minute goal in the biggest stage of them all with over 1 billion people in the world watching that moment

But yeah I mean the 1992 heart break was pretty comparable (sarcasm)
                    WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

2004 Asian Cup exit.

2006 WC game vs Mexico........

Comment

1. Iran vs Iraq 2015
                        2. Iran vs Portugal 2018
                        3. Iran vs KSA 2009
                        4. Iran vs Korea 2007
                        5. Iran vs Argentina 2014

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
                          I know how important the WAFF tournament and Asian cup 1955 was to you but there is no single moment that hurt more then Messi scoring that 90th minute goal in the biggest stage of them all with over 1 billion people in the world watching that moment

But yeah I mean the 1992 heart break was pretty comparable (sarcasm)
                          There was no 1955 Asian Cup. Happy to continue educating you.

Comment

Nothing was more heartbreaking than that 2001 game against Bahrain!

Nothing can beat that!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
                              For me, personally:

Iran 1-1 Portugal @ World Cup 2018
                              Iran 3-3 Iraq @ Asian Cup 2015
                              Iran 0-1 Argentina @ World Cup 2014
                              Iran 1-1 China @ Asian Cup 2004
                              100% agree

Comment

Working...
                              X