No announcement yet.

Ali Karimi...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to make the point that we need to be objective here and just reflect the question:

Who has done what for TM?

Queiroz has changed the way we play football. He has transformed us from a deimi, "chiken running" (as our friend Lezawang used to put it, anyone remember him?) team which struggled against Bahrain, Qatar into a disciplined, well-drilled unit which has tactical pundits drooling for a european club-side defensive structure. I remember speaking to a reasonably famous english commentator who had noticed how well Iran positions and defends corners and was saying that it was better than almost any other team in the WC.

Sure, we haven't won anything yet, but then again neither has Pochettino for Spurs and anyone with eyes can see what he has done to that side - changed them to a different world. Both Pochettino and Queiroz, without having achieved anything tangible yet, have sowed the seeds for the future and built something good. Contrast this with Branko who effectively demolished Iran's future for 5-10 years.

Now, both CQ and Ali Karimi have similar issues with oghdeh. Neither of these two guys are exactly highly classy statesmen, but who cares? CQ lost it in portugal with everyone and isn't well liked in Real Madrid, but these aren't really very important for me. What is important is what he has done in Iran, which just remains amazing. He is the man for a nation: https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/0...-for-a-nation/

I guess the only difference is that Karimi, despite his amazing talent, didn't really eventually do much tangible stuff for TM. His 1 year ban came at an important moment early his career which hampered both him and Iran. He had some good individual performances in asian cup, asian games etc... but that was about it for TM. Contrast with Mahdavikia (and his list of successes from 32-man squad of the world cup 1998 to his various player of the year prizes in the bundesliga) and with Karimi it seems a case of "what could have been". Sadly, despite flashes of unreal brilliance, we can't say that Ali Karimi changed Iran's football much.

I still think it is harsh to compare him with Mayeli Kohan, because at the end of the day Karimi was involved with the green movement (for what that was worth), and just meeting with AN doesn't necessarily mean he supports him. After all, Salah had to shake hands and smile with Kadyrov this summer....

Comment

Working...
    X