Alireza Jahanbakhsh @ Brighton & Hove Albion | 2018-2019 - Page 32

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 548 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132532 ... LastLast

Thread: Alireza Jahanbakhsh @ Brighton & Hove Albion | 2018-2019

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

His agent Hashemi confirms the fee was 25 million EU, 22 Million Pounds. Also leicester came in at the last minute with a massive bid, with much better financial offer, but ARJ had his mind made up.
    Interesting. The British press was reporting 17 million pounds.

PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 6,981 Times in 2,134 Posts
    His agent Hashemi confirms the fee was 25 million EU, 22 Million Pounds. Also leicester came in at the last minute with a massive bid, with much better financial offer, but ARJ had his mind made up.
    Wow! Hashemi-Moghadam and JB are consummate professionals. It's like a marriage made in heaven. It's amazing that he reveals the transfer amount, knowing how professional he is he probably did not have any binding clause or request not to reveal the amount (or maybe he even got their implicit agreement to do so). Interesting points about the interview is how Houghton was asking about Alireza almost every week in the past year I really like Houghton and I again think JB will grow under his stewardship. Houghton has another dimension of making the best of his situations and standing for racial and social justice (rather than being a victim) throughout his career. The other interesting point from Hashemi-Moghadam is how he and his wife traveled to England multiple times and watched the EPL games to make sure the league suites JB. Finally the term he used to characterize LCFC's bidding war is 'vahshatnak' that means terrible (or more like tremendous in this case). It's amazing that the competition between the two side's fans (there was a third EPL bidder but HM says he can't reveal their name) in social media contributed to the bidding war. HM mentions how the Instagram followers of BHACF account went up by 2K very quickly after the announcement (it is now up by 33K). At the end JB could make more money at LCFC but CHOSE to go to BHAFC because he thought that was a better choice for him (that's professionalism for you, money is important but it is not everything). Last but not least, HG says that JB doesn't need to score 21 goals at BHACF to facilitate another big-time transfer. He uses Watford's player's transfer to Everton for $50M Euro when he only scored 4 goals last season as an example. HM says that it's adequate if BJ 'only' establishes himself as a leader, and guide the team as a young yet experienced player, score and assist a few goals

Go JB!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Futbaldoost For This Useful Post:

PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 3,359 Times in 1,492 Posts

So the teams with an offer for him were Ajax, Feyenoord, Leicester, Brighton, another good PL team and clubs from Germany, Italy and Spain.

I wished he could mention all their names though. Specially the third EPL team that supposedly could afford him together with Leicester and Brighton.

Anyways judging by his reception and the love of the fans, I also think he made the right choice. Not the least I'm sure the choice was made after lots of good advice from CQ, probably his old coach at AZ, Mahdavikia and others.

Hopefully he will continue to progress there for a couple of years or so and then moves on to a better team.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sly For This Useful Post:

High-Ranked Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    I'm really happy he joined Brighton. Brighton has had an interesting history (from that short documentary that I watched) and they have something to prove. They are taken lightly. They have had to fight really hard to be where they are at today. They had facility issues, managerial issues, financial issues, and they have beaten the odds. No, i'm not talking about Iran, i'm talking about Brighton. I just feel like it's a match made in football heaven. JB is also there to prove something. That Iranian players are good, and we are heavily under represented. I firmly believe it's political. If we had a western friendly government Iranian players would litter all over European leagues. Anyway, I just hope/wish/believe that ARJB can shine and help BHAFC reach heights they have never reached before. I really feel connected to this team for some reason.

great read

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daggerhashimoto For This Useful Post:

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KasraKhan View Post
    Interesting. The British press was reporting 17 million pounds.
    A lot of these things are done in layers. One amount due on transfer. Another amount due later. Some bonuses and contingency fees. Maybe a percentage of any future sale. That's why you get different numbers all the time. Depends on what exactly you are talking about.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Farbod For This Useful Post:

High-Ranked Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsan singapore View Post
    is pouraligangi going to brighton?

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks

That makes him the most expensive Asian transfer of all time. Son was the most expensive to Tottenham for 22 million pounds but 25 million Euros is 22 million and change.

High-Ranked Member
    Thanks
    Good article by ESPN from all places

There is a longstanding summer tradition of the big stars from the Dutch top tier heading to the English Premier League. The list of those who have shone -- such as Arjen Robben and Ruud van Nistlerooy -- is mirrored by the misses -- Mateja Kezman, Afonso Alves and Jon Dahl Tomasson. It remains to be seen on what side of that divide Alireza Jahanbakhsh falls as he becomes Brighton and Hove Albion's record signing, but the Iranian winger has shone every time he has stepped up to the next level.

There is more pressure on his shoulders than simply showing that there is still plenty of talent in the Eredivisie, where the winger finished as the leading scorer last season. A bigger responsibility is to show the world there is just as much talent in Iran and to show young Iranians that if he can go from playing on the streets of the country's northwest to unfashionable club Damash Gilan and end up in the world's richest and most popular league by the age of 24, then they can too.

Asia's No. 1 football nation, in terms of FIFA rankings at least, has yet to really produce a player to really star in England's top tier. Ashkan Dejagah and Andranik Teymourian are fondly remembered at Fulham and Bolton, respectively, while national legend Karim Bagheri is best remembered in England as being the answer to a quiz question for his single appearance for Charlton Athletic. None of them arrived in the Premier League with the kind of European experience and reputation that Jahanbakhsh has, however.

It took courage and ambition to leave Iran as a teenager to join NEC in the Netherlands' second tier in 2013. He starred during his two years, and was named the division's player of the year in 2015, before moving to the top flight with AZ Alkmaar. There he went from strength to strength. By the end of the 2016-17 season he was being named as the best winger in the league. The following year he could lay claim to being the best player full stop. Scoring 21 goals last season was impressive enough, but his 12 assists were joint best as well. It was no surprise there was plenty of interest in the player, with Leicester City trying to hijack the deal at the last minute. Indeed, it was more of an eyebrow-raiser that there weren't more suitors.

Perhaps had the 2018 World Cup gone a little better, things might have been different. Jahanbakhsh appeared in all three of Iran's games, but in a tough group with Morocco, Spain and Portugal and with a coach focused on keeping things tight at the back, he got little chance to shine and less time on the ball.

That will be forgotten with his first goal for Brighton. There is no question the goals will come from the right-winger who offers versatility in attack and started out as a full-back, it's more about how many he scores and creates. His speed, his running and ability to find space in and around the box means there will always be chances. The question is how he adapts to the lack of space and time that he will have, or not have, in England compared to the Eredivisie. A technique that still needs some work is found out less often in the slower confines of Holland. In the Premier League, he needs to improve that part of his game. If he can, then Brighton will have a major bargain on their hands.

The signs from his time with AZ are good. It is not that common for a team to lose its best player but everyone left behind smiles and wishes him well. That is nothing however compared to the response back home with excitement at the prospect of seeing whether he can reproduce his Dutch form on a bigger stage and pride at the reported €20 million transfer fee.

It would have been considerably less three years ago when Brighton were interested and he actually visited the club before deciding to join AZ. "I [decided I] would rather stay in the Netherlands for two or three more years, to develop myself with more experience to be ready for this competition and this amazing club," Jahanbakhsh said after signing the deal that makes him the most expensive signing in the club's history. "I was thinking if I got the opportunity again, I would take it. I always had a good feeling about this club."

The feeling may well soon be mutual, and whatever happens, Brighton are going to have their every move followed by millions of fans in Tehran and elsewhere in the country. If he can give them plenty to cheer about, he not only encourages compatriots and colleagues back home, he will shine a spotlight on Iran for other clubs in big leagues to start looking around.

This is a big deal not only for Brighton but for the Netherlands and, especially, for Iran.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to daggerhashimoto For This Useful Post:

PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 3,359 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Then why do so many British media report 17 M? Is Hashemi just trying to make his transfer look more lucrative for us Iranians or is it actually him who's right?

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,687 Times in 2,571 Posts
    My understanding from the start has been that there is 5 million of add-on fees, so i assumed 17 + 5 (add on fees which are unlocked depending on games etc...) = 22 million.

Could be wrong though.

+ Reply to Thread

Members who have read this thread : 8

You do not have permission to view the list of names.