Alireza Jahanbakhsh @ Brighton & Hove Albion | 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diz View Post
    Wonder what AJs new name pronounciation will be in Britain. I gotta admit, as much as I love that he’s playing in EPL, I’ll miss commentators yelling “YAHANBAX!!!”

Comment

Hi all, I translated the Khabar Varzeshi interview for the BHA forum, I don't think anyone actually saw it but figured I'd post it here too for members who can't read Farsi.

Alireza Jahanbakhsh is the sixth Iranian player to go to the EPL. It's been a few years since we've had a player in EPL or Bundesliga, but Alireza has broken this trend by signing a 5-year deal with Brighton. With his presence, we hope that the conditions are set for even more Iranian players to go to the EPL. We had an exclusive interview with Alireza:

WE HEARD THAT AFTER YOUR SIGNING, BRIGHTON'S FANBASE INCREASED BY SEVERAL THOUSAND!
      Yes, a lot of Iranians live in the UK. Fortunately my joining has created a really positive and optimistic atmosphere. Brighton is an EPL team and so will travel to various cities and play the biggest teams in the EPL. Many people told me that what has happened is really good news, and Iranians and the English have really supported me, and surely there will be a lot more fans for Brighton.

FINALLY WHAT ALL OF US FOOTBALL-LOVERS WERE HOPING FOR HAS OCCURRED!
      Yes, every time I spoke with you, we discussed my presence in the EPL or another big European league. Perhaps I could have come to the EPL earlier, but I think that now was the best time to transfer to this difficult league. I've prepared myself for the transition but know well that I have a lot to learn and see, so that I can perform my best for Brighton.

DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH WELL?
      (laughing) I speak English well but with my own particular accent! Kidding aside, I speak English well and won't have any problems in communication.

IS ENGLISH EASIER THAN DUTCH?
      Yes fortunately it is easier than Dutch, although over the past few years I've become nearly fluent in Dutch.

BRIGHTON'S COACH SAID THAT YOUR PRESENCE WILL MAKE A HUGE IMPACT IN THE TEAM'S ATTACKING LINE, IT SEEMS THIS MEANS HE HAS HIGH EXPECTATIONS OF YOU?
      Brighton's coach wanted me three years ago. Thank God the coach hasn't changed! Three years ago we spoke at length and he told me he trusts my abilities. I am very familiar with the coach's expectations and I need some time in order to fulfill these expectations. Surely, having a coach who believes in your abilities can only help me achieve our goals. I also believe in myself and that I'll be able to fulfill my coach's expectations.

DOES BRIGHTON'S COACH INTEND TO USE YOU AS A WINGER?
      Yes, I have to help the team with my abilities as a strong winder and I have to continue playing at the high level I exhibited in the Netherlands.

IN THE EREDIVISIE YOU WON THE GOLDEN BOOT, WILL YOU BE ABLE TO SCORE MANY GOALS IN THE EPL?
      Certainly a player is more visible if he scores more goals and has better stats, but we should also keep in mind that this will be my first year in the EPL. I will try my best.

YOU ARE THE MOST EXPENSIVE TRANSFER IN BRIGHTON HISTORY. DOES THIS FACT WEIGH ON YOUR MIND?
      The financial matters were between AZ Alkmaar and Brighton, as I had two years left on my contract with Alkmaar. For me the important thing was to enjoy my playing football.

THE WAY YOU ARE SPEAKING IT SEEMS YOUR TRANSFER TO BRIGHTON DID NOT BENEFIT YOU MUCH?
      Alkmaar put a lot of resources and efforts into my development, and for that and the two remaining years of my contract, they wanted to be compensated. Brighton also wanted to prove their interest in me and there were a lot of other matters which all parties tried their best to complete.

WHY DID YOU DECLINE LEICESTER'S OFFER, WHO ARE A BETTER TEAM THAN BRIGHTON?
      Leicester's offer was financially a better one, but after getting advice from various people I decided to choose Brighton.

BUT MANY PEOPLE BELIEVE LEICESTER WOULD HAVE BEEN THE BETTER MOVE FOR YOU?
      People were talking about signing bonuses and various other matters, which was really funny because none of it was true or discussed.

WHAT "OTHER MATTERS" WERE THERE THAT CAUSED YOU TO DECLINE LEICESTER?
      Leicester came in with a last-second offer, but I had to consider all factors and make the right step. I had priorities other than simply financial matters. Brighton was 14th or 15th last year in the table, and both the club and the coach very seriously pursued and wanted me. At Leicester, only the general manager had a positive impression of me and I hadn't spoken to the coach. When I put all of these factors next to each other, and after getting advice from my parents, my manager, Carlos Queiroz and Mehdi Mahdavikia, I chose Brighton.

WHAT NUMBER WILL YOU WEAR?
      It's not clear, I think it will be decided in the next ten days.

WHERE DOES BRIGHTON SEE ITSELF ON THE TABLE AT THE END OF THE SEASON?
      Brighton has advanced strongly these past few years. Our club has high expectations and this season we want to be in the top 10 or 12 teams.

HOW MANY PRACTICES HAVE YOU PARTICIPATED IN?
      So far only three.

IN THIS TIME WHAT DIFFERENCES HAVE YOU SEEN IN THE EPL AND EREDIVISIE?
      I haven't really spent much time in practice at Brighton, but based on what I've seen, the level of play is really high and the training facilities are also better. I don't think any country has the training facilities and opportunities of the UK, with Brighton in the top 5 within the UK. We can compete fully with teams such as Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.

IS MORTEZA POURALIGANJI GOING TO JOIN YOU?
      Surely Morteza has some surprises in store. There have been some rumors about him, but I'm not at liberty to discuss this.

DO YOU AGREE THAT POURALIGANJI HAS THE ABILITY TO PLAY IN THE EPL?
      Morteza is an excellent in both skill and manners, and he is very technically gifted. I strongly welcome his presence in the EPL or other European league. I believe he is very strong mentally and he can do great things.

YOU'RE SCHEDULED TO PLAY MANCHESTER AT HOME IN WEEK 2 AND IN WEEK 3 YOU TRAVEL TO ANFIELD TO PLAY LIVERPOOL. AREN'T THESE DREAM GAMES FOR YOU?
      Certainly we have very tough and exciting games week-to-week. We are participating in excellent trainings. Our players are physically in top shape but I am not as I have had some vacation and I joined my teammates relatively late. Our team started training 26 days ago while I have only spent three practices with them.

YOU WILL BE MISSING SEVERAL BRIGHTON GAMES DUE TO YOUR PRESENCE IN THE NATIONAL TEAM FOR THE 2019 ASIAN CUP, HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THIS?
      Yes, I and my team are well aware of this issue. Interestingly Brighton's goalie is the keeper for Australia's NT and he will also be missing. We've already started some banter between us.. I told him I'll be seeing him at the Asian Cup!

WHO ARE THE BEST WINGERS IN THE EPL?
      There are a lot of big names in Man United, Liverpool, Man City and a few other teams, each of which is a star.

THERE WAS SOME SPECULATION ABOUT MILAD MOHAMMADI JOINING A TEAM IN THE EPL, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?
      I am so happy to hear he has some interest from the EPL. The more of us join EPL teams, the more Iranian football will be mentioned and in the end will benefit our country's football and the national team.

WHAT EPL TEAM ARE YOU A FAN OF?
      I am a fan of two EPL teams, which I followed even when I was a kid. But now that I'm a Brighton player, I can't say their names.

YOUR TEAMMATES IN THE NATIONAL TEAM SENT YOU A LOT OF NICE MESSAGES...
      It's such an amazing feeling. I thank each and every one of them for their messages, which were full of kindness and love, and I will never forget it.

IS PLAYING FOR BRIGHTON THE FINAL AMBITION OF ALIREZA JAHANBAKHSH?
      One of my big ambitions was playing in the EPL, but that is not my final step. There will be other steps along the way, including winning the championship, etc. which are all really important.

WHAT EPL TEAM IS FAVORITE TO WIN THE LEAGUE?
      It's really hard to predict who will win the league, it seems like every year a different team wins, so for now I can't say.

MY FINAL QUESTION: YOUR FAVORITE TEAMS SEPIDROOD AND DAMASH ARE NOT DOING WELL. ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT THEIR SITUATION?
      I've always felt something special towards Sepidrood and Damash. I hope Damash gets promoted again and that Sepidrood's situation improves. The first rounds can be difficult for any team, but I send my best and biggest hopes for the teams from Gilan and the north.

Comment

Team to play Nice in 1 hour:

Ryan (GK); Schelotto, Duffy, Balogun, Bong; March, Kayal, Bissouma, Jahanbakhsh; Andone, Hemed.

Subs: Button, Bruno, Bernardo, White, Knockaert, Propper, Stephens, Gross, Gyokeres, Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

Ryan (GK); Schelotto, Duffy, Balogun, Bong; March, Kayal, Bissouma, Jahanbakhsh; Andone, Hemed.

Subs: Button, Bruno, Bernardo, White, Knockaert, Propper, Stephens, Gross, Gyokeres, Murray.
          When does the match start and is it broadcasted, if so which Chanel?

Comment

Originally posted by Shantaram View Post
            When does the match start and is it broadcasted, if so which Chanel?
            The match will be starting in 15 minutes, we don't think it is being broadcast or streamed anywhere but if we find anything we will post on here.

Comment

Confirmed. He us in lineup.

https://www.facebook.com/95602073138...6593839438139/

Sent from my Google device using Tapatalk
              Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

02: Jahanbakhsh switches the ball to March - his volley is saved and Albion win the first corner of the game.

16: Fairly quiet opening to the game - Jahanbakhsh and March have now swapped wings - the latter is now on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Tehranto View Post
                  02: Jahanbakhsh switches the ball to March - his volley is saved and Albion win the first corner of the game.

16: Fairly quiet opening to the game - Jahanbakhsh and March have now swapped wings - the latter is now on the right.
                  I thought this is behind closed doors. Is there a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Futbaldoost View Post
                    I thought this is behind closed doors. Is there a link?
                    It is behind closed doors and no link.
                    These reports are from the Brighton twitter account

Comment

Looks like Alireza is number 8.. although if anyone wants to know for buying a shirt purposes, I'd say hold off until the club confirm numbers.

Comment

Will the coach completely swap out the first team at half time?

Comment

Originally posted by ShervinJ View Post
                          Will the coach completely swap out the first team at half time?
                          I don't think so. Next friendly is Friday evening and the subs (plus Dunk and Izquierdo) will probably start that game.

"HALF TIME: All square at the break in a game of few chances so far."

Comment

We play Nantes at the Amex on Friday in our last pre-season game and if he wants to give the other players minutes you'd guess the line up will be:

Button; Bruno, White, Dunk, Bernardo; Knockaert, Propper, Stephens, Izquierdo; Gross; Murray.

However as he may want to play the team that will play Watford I would guess Ryan may start in goal and Duffy instead of White.

That would be close to the team to start the season I think. Possibly March rather than Izquierdo on the left.

Comment

We play Nantes at the Amex on Friday in our last pre-season game and if he wants to give the other players minutes you'd guess the line up will be:

Button; Bruno, White, Dunk, Bernardo; Knockaert, Propper, Stephens, Izquierdo; Gross; Murray.

However as he may want to play the team that will play Watford I would guess Ryan may start in goal and Duffy instead of White.

That would be close to the team to start the season I think. Possibly March rather than Izquierdo on the left.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Manager essentially subbed out entire team that started. Jahanbakhsh is also subbed off.

Comment

Working...
                                X