1994 Asian Games Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 Asian Games Campaign

The picture shows Delikhoon although his name is not on the roster. Perhaps they took him for experience.

Following Parvin’s dismissal as national team coach, the Croatian Stanko Poklepovic took charge. His first challenge would be the 1994 Asian Games in Japan, a year after the disastrous World Cup qualifying campaign. With the dissolution of the Soviet Union, three of its former republics (Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan) had chosen to participate in the Asian Games although Kazakhstan would withdraw prior to the start of the tournament. Initially there had been five groups with Iran being grouped with Bahrain, Oman, Uzbekistan and Yemen. However, due to withdrawals and late entries a revised draw was announced which now had Iran facing Bahrain, China, Turkmenistan and Yemen. The AFC had suggested that all countries send their U23 teams, but this was ignored by all participants except Saudi Arabia. Iran entered the competition as the defending champions and with Abedzadeh still recovering from injury, Gholampour was once again the starting goalkeeper.

Iran’s first game was against Bahrain. The lineup and formation suggested that Poklepovic had not yet settled on a system or starters. It would be a dull affair with the one notable incident being Daei’s mid-air collision with the Bahraini goalkeeper’s kung fu kick. The result for Daei would be several broken ribs, three broken fingers and a ruptured spleen. In spite of the injuries, he would last the remainder of the match before being admitted to a hospital and subsequently missing the rest of the tournament. The two teams would settle for a 0-0 tie.

The second game would be against Turkmenistan. Contrary to the fist match Iran played with much more vigor while the game-plan seemed to be crosses from the flanks. In spite of the increased effort, it would be Turkmenistan who would score first in the 62nd minute. Iran would equalize in a matter of minutes. Bagheri would connect with a header from a freekick which after taking a deflection would cross the line. The times would settle for a 1-1 tie.

In a crucial match Iran would face China. Following the initial two ties, Iran needed at the very least another tie to stay alive although a win would greatly increase the chances of advancing. Iran would play a similar game and tactic to its prior match although none of Iran’s forwards were able to take advantage of the numerous crosses. While China didn’t have too many dangerous opportunities, however, in the second half they benefited from Gholampour’s weak reaction to score the only goal of the game. With this win China would finish atop the group. With only two points from its first three games, Iran was mathematically eliminated and its last game against Yemen was rendered meaningless.

Iran would make a number of changes in its match against Yemen including fielding Basharzad in goal and Salek Jabbari in defense. With goals from Pious, Shahmohammadi, Moharrami and Manafi, Iran would earn its only win of the campaign although it would prove to be too little, too late and ultimately mark the end of Poklepovic’s coaching tenure with the national team.

Iran roster: Gholampour, Basharzad, Zarrincheh, Shahroudi, Mohammadkhani, Manafi, Varmazyar, Peyrovani, Salek Jabbari, Moharrami, Ghalenoei, Dadashzadeh, Bagheri, Eftekhari, Shirmohammadi, Alemi, Shahmohammadi, Modirroosta, Daei, Pious. Coach: Poklepovic
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

One of Iran's worst performances. The team was old and the core of the team was almost the same as 1993 WCQ. Any way this tournament became less and less important in Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
      One of Iran's worst performances. The team was old and the core of the team was almost the same as 1993 WCQ. Any way this tournament became less and less important in Asia.
      I think at the time it was still important. By 2002 it became meaningless as U23 teams were sent instead of national teams.
      This tournament completed a hattrick of consecutive failures for us after the 1992 Asian Championship and 1994 World Cup qualifiers. If I'm not mistaken after these Asian Games we didn't even play another game for over a year.
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

This was probably the worst period for TM in terms of results.

1989 - failed to get to final round of world cup qualification
        1992- failed to get out of group stage in Asian Cup
        1993 - failed to qualify for World Cup 1994
        1994 - Asian Games failure

The 1996 team really came out of nowhere. No one was expecting us to have the talents that emerged. Whenever people get surprised how people could like Mayeli Kohan, they forget what a disaster our football was in the early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
          This was probably the worst period for TM in terms of results.

1989 - failed to get to final round of world cup qualification
          1992- failed to get out of group stage in Asian Cup
          1993 - failed to qualify for World Cup 1994
          1994 - Asian Games failure

The 1996 team really came out of nowhere. No one was expecting us to have the talents that emerged. Whenever people get surprised how people could like Mayeli Kohan, they forget what a disaster our football was in the early 90s.
          I wouldn't go as far back as 1989. In 1990 TM won the Asian Games and in 1991 we lost the Afro-Asian Games to Algeria only on away goals. Even the 1992 Asian Championship when put into perspective is the equivalent of our past 3 Asian Championships where we finished amongst the final 8 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
            I wouldn't go as far back as 1989. In 1990 TM won the Asian Games and in 1991 we lost the Afro-Asian Games to Algeria only on away goals. Even the 1992 Asian Championship when put into perspective is the equivalent of our past 3 Asian Championships where we finished amongst the final 8 teams.
            How do you not consider 1989 a disaster? We didn't make the final round of qualification. We failed to get out of the group because of goal difference. With the talent we had it was unacceptable.

Comment

How do you not consider 1989 a disaster? We didn't make the final round of qualification. We failed to get out of the group because of goal difference. With the talent we had it was unacceptable.
              My objection was to including it as a stretch from 1989 to 1994. That stretch also included a successful period.

Comment

My objection was to including it as a stretch from 1989 to 1994. That stretch also included a successful period.
                The Asian games were ok and no one really cared about the Afro-Asian cup. Compared to other periods in our football, it was pretty bad.

Comment

The Asian games were ok and no one really cared about the Afro-Asian cup. Compared to other periods in our football, it was pretty bad.
                  You are wrong. I was living in Iran for both and both were a huge deal.

Comment

I guess Delikhoon was on the roster after all.

Comment

I think at the time it was still important. By 2002 it became meaningless as U23 teams were sent instead of national teams.
                      This tournament completed a hattrick of consecutive failures for us after the 1992 Asian Championship and 1994 World Cup qualifiers. If I'm not mistaken after these Asian Games we didn't even play another game for over a year.

Yes, it was an important tournament. However it was in this particular tournament that Saudi Arabia sent their U23 team.

It was good that that they re-did the draw for groups. Uzbekistan at the time was very powerful with Igor Shkvyrin as striker who became the tournament's top scorer with 8 goals.

True, in 1995 Team Melli was without a Head Coach and did not play a single game. Interestingly though Team Omid played Armenia's national team (Senior team) that year in Tehran. I think they defeated Armenia 2-1.

Comment

I guess Delikhoon was on the roster after all.

Pretty old squad.

Comment

Pretty old squad.
                          Actually mostly were in their 20s. The players who were above 30 years old were:

Reza Ahadi and Farshad Pious (Both 32)
                          Nader Mohammadkhani and Amir Ghalenoei (Both 31)
                          Seyed Ali Eftekhari (30)

and possibly Jalal Basharzad was above 30 as well (does anyone know Basharzad's DOB?)

Comment

Originally posted by rooyintan View Post
                            Actually mostly were in their 20s. The players who were above 30 years old were:

Reza Ahadi and Farshad Pious (Both 32)
                            Nader Mohammadkhani and Amir Ghalenoei (Both 31)
                            Seyed Ali Eftekhari (30)

and possibly Jalal Basharzad was above 30 as well (does anyone know Basharzad's DOB?)
                            Zarincheh and Moharrami both around 30 also.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Zarincheh and Moharrami both around 30 also.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk
                              Zarrincheh was 28. Moharrami I believe was 29 if not 28.

Comment

Working...
                              X