World Cup Final (and most games) validate Quieroz tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup Final (and most games) validate Quieroz tactics

France won 4-2. Yes the penalty was wrongly given. And the own goal was luck. But Croatia had the ball so much. and STILL couldn't score.... when France had the opportunities they made them count. This is what football has come to now. Let the other team punch themselves into a George Foreman type of trap. The point is to win the game. You won't LOSE if your team doesn't let a goal in.
    Quieroz has managed to teach our top team how to defend. Now all we need is to make sure we make our chances count. Quality like MBAPE , POGBA and GRIEZMAN are rare but we have players with good speed and good technical ability. Here is hoping the team shines in the Asian Cup.

I'm thinking in 2-3 years Tiki Taka will be dead.

Russia did what we did vs Spain and got through. Uruguay did it to Portugal. Mexico dash countered Germany. Hell look at our game and Portugal vs Morocco. Tactical realignment usually happens every 2 world cups

Comment

I think football style will slowly shift to result-oriented tactics, rather than Tiki-taka. The German football analysts and critics are blaming Pep Guardiola for having changed the German football to Tiki-taka and possession football, kind of blaming Germany's miserable performance and early elimination on this style of playing.

Sir Alex Ferguson was the mastermind behind this style of football, and it paid off for him with Man United. I have a feeling next World Cup we will witness many teams doing what France and some other teams did this World Cup!

Comment

totally agreed, as soon as croatia opened up, france killed them. As soon as argentina opened up, they were killed by croatia and france. Germany opened up against mexico way too much, killed on the break, could have been much worse. Brazil were too open against belgium, also dispatched. So many examples. Now these are teams that have top quality defenders and midfielders to build play, recover, etc. Imagine if teams like Iran tried to play open ... Oh wait, tunisia did and we saw what happened.

Our tactics were great at this world cup and CQ had the players perfectly ready. Our mistakes were player selection (ghoddos excluded from starting xi all 3 matches, milad excluded for hajsafi for Portugal game), and individual problems which were Mainly conversion rate of our forwards (Ansarifard and Taremi in particular). Also we needed ARJ to be more assertive. These last two points were out of CQ's control, being more bold with player selection was not.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
          totally agreed, as soon as croatia opened up, france killed them. As soon as argentina opened up, they were killed by croatia and france. Germany opened up against mexico way too much, killed on the break, could have been much worse. Brazil were too open against belgium, also dispatched. So many examples. Now these are teams that have top quality defenders and midfielders to build play, recover, etc. Imagine if teams like Iran tried to play open ... Oh wait, tunisia did and we saw what happened.

Our tactics were great at this world cup and CQ had the players perfectly ready. Our mistakes were player selection (ghoddos excluded from starting xi all 3 matches, milad excluded for hajsafi for Portugal game), and individual problems which were Mainly conversion rate of our forwards (Ansarifard and Taremi in particular). Also we needed ARJ to be more assertive. These last two points were out of CQ's control, being more bold with player selection was not.
          Fair points. I think CQ needed to risk in the last game and start Milad and Saamaan. Of course hindsight is 20/20 yet I strongly felt even back then that Milad should have started in at least two of the three games, specifically the games against Spain and Portugal. Of course I don't have access to all the facts and metrics that CQ and his technical staff has. If everything was relatively equal (e.g. physical, technical and psychological readiness) it probably came down to experience and coach's judgement call and that's were your point gains more validity.

Comment

It's also important to hold strong against the naysayers, typically stronger teams, which will call CQ's tactic "anti-football". The Spanish players were all over the press talking about how we played "anti-football" in our match against them...it's only a sign of a sore loser (even though they actually ended up winning that match with some help from a sympathetic, Spanish-speaking ref!)

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
              It's also important to hold strong against the naysayers, typically stronger teams, which will call CQ's tactic "anti-football". The Spanish players were all over the press talking about how we played "anti-football" in our match against them...it's only a sign of a sore loser (even though they actually ended up winning that match with some help from a sympathetic, Spanish-speaking ref!)
              There is some irony here...Spain says we play antifootball...of course Belgium said this about France too...and yet we always tend to blame the ref. Either refs hate us or when you don't mount enough chances typical referee mistakes tend to be magnified. Every ref makes a mistake...for us it seems to always cost us cause we lack quality chances up front. Think about all the time CQ bashes refs.

So our game externally is viewed poorly and internally we reflect and blame the ref. Net result is always the same...just a bit short of the goal!

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
              Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

That wouldn't be a good precedent for the sport.

France is being universally criticized by fans around the world for Deschamps' team "anti-football," diving/cheating and time-wasting tactics on display in both the semifinal and final match. Check the FIFA World Cup feeds on Social Media, with so many people continuously saying "France won the match but Croatia won our hearts."

In the end, it's just a game that's meant to entertain. A bunch of guys kicking a ball around. So let's keep the 'Beautiful Game' exactly that.

Anyway, to compare Les Bleus' path to lifting the World Cup trophy with CQ's wanna'catenaccio' strategy doesn't really make sense. France has a team packed with attacking talent and scored whenever they wanted to. Team Melli meanwhile struggled to even generate a legit shot on goal, coming away with one Own Goal and controversial Penalty Kick in extra time.

Teams like Russia also showed that whenever they wanted to, they could rack up goals and do it with surprising style and flair. Belgium got 3rd place with an awesome attack. These are the teams we remember long after this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Vestvood Vizard View Post
                  That wouldn't be a good precedent for the sport.
                  France is being universally criticized by fans around the world for Deschamps' team "anti-football," diving/cheating and time-wasting tactics on display in both the semifinal and final match. Check the FIFA World Cup feeds on Social Media, with so many people continuously saying "France won the match but Croatia won our hearts."
                  In the end, it's just a game that's meant to entertain. A bunch of guys kicking a ball around. So let's keep the 'Beautiful Game' exactly that.
                  Anyway, to compare Les Bleus' path to lifting the World Cup trophy with CQ's wanna'catenaccio' strategy doesn't really make sense. France has a team packed with attacking talent and scored whenever they wanted to. Team Melli meanwhile struggled to even generate a legit shot on goal, coming away with one Own Goal and controversial Penalty Kick in extra time.
                  Teams like Russia also showed that whenever they wanted to, they could rack up goals and do it with surprising style and flair. Belgium got 3rd place with an awesome attack. These are the teams we remember long after this summer.
                  As I was scrolling down while reading the comments of the rest of the members, I was getting ready to counter their respectable opinions over the discussion in hand and then I saw your comment.
                  And you said it all and I couldn't agree with you more.
                  The way we defended our goal, compared to the way teams like Croatia and France defended their goals was indeed very different.
                  Ours was parking the bus with the entire team defending deep in our halves.
                  While teams like France and Croatia had 2 of their strikers constantly moving and maneuvering in the opposite half waiting for opportunities to strike.
                  After more than seven years in charge of the National team and using the same deep defending tactics with eleven players, there is no reason to believe that under CQ's leadership, we will ever see a shift of having two strikes occupying the minds of the opposite central defenders like the Croatian and French strikes would do in this past world cup.

Comment

^You guys are wrong. Actually all the teams in WC didn't know how to defend just like the Saudis. It was only after Iran's game that they understood how to defend and didn't get their ass kicked. Unfortunately for the 8-0ers their first game was before our game, but they also learned and didn't get their ass kicked again.

On the more serious note, the reason Croatia made the final was because Engeland stopped 'opening up' and started to play more defensively, thinking all will be fine and they would score on a counter. The first half when they were 'opening up', they had a relatively easy game.

Now for Iran, of course, we had to park the bus (not the same as playing defensively) as we saw what happens if we don't park the bus against even weak European teams like Turkey. So yes, CQ for sure chose the right strategy and it even ALMOST got us through to the KO stages!!
                    However the question arises then, why do we suck so hard that the only strategy that suits us is parking the bus? Is it that our players just lack quality or has it something to do with CQ?

Comment

eQUOTE=Irandoust;2577026]As I was scrolling down while reading the comments of the rest of the members, I was getting ready to counter their respectable opinions over the discussion in hand and then I saw your comment.
                      The way we defended our goal, compared to the way teams like Croatia and France defended their goals was indeed very different.
                      While teams like France and Croatia had 2 of their strikers constantly moving and maneuvering in the opposite half waiting for opportunities to strike.
                      After more than seven years in charge of the National team and using the same deep defending tactics with eleven players, there is no reason to believe that under CQ's leadership, we will ever see a shift of having two strikes occupying the minds of the opposite central defenders like the Croatian and French strikes would do in this past world cup.[/QUOTE].

Some of those comments are controlling "narrative" in a world of one respectable member, as to tell an alternative reality, turning a defeat to a win, unattractive to a beautiful.
                      This Parking Bus tactic is not new and often used by many Iranian lazy teams when they face a stronger opponent as desperation tactics and some with success.

Two years ago Veisi did it with Esteghlal Khuzestan and won the championship by Bus tactics, then, P Musavi continued in ACL with relative success 9 man D line. They did not concede more than 2 goals and scored in every game! , even scored first goals in Saudi Arabia & Qatar against strong Al Hilal & Al Duhail.

30.05.2017 AFC ACL Al Hilal Riyadh 2_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                      23.05.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1_2 Al Hilal Riyadh
                      09.05.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1_1 Jazira Abu Dhabi
                      25.04.2017 AFC ACL Al Fateh (KSA) 1_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                      10.04.2017 AFC ACL Al Duhail SC 2_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                      14.03.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1_1 Al Duhail SC
                      27.02.2017 AFC ACL Jazira Abu Dhabi 0_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                      20.02.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1:0 Al Fateh (KSA).

Iranian teams/clubs lacks proper organization and training facilities for fitness. Their players are unfit and lazy and unable to compete with the teams in ACL. Because mostly lack passing skills they waste some of their energy chasing the ball then lay back and park the bus.

Because of this fitness issue, CQ believes he needs a long period of training with IPL squad to compensate for that.

Expecting from CQ different style of game is unrealistic.
                      Last edited by St_Mark; 07-18-2018, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keano View Post
                        I think football style will slowly shift to result-oriented tactics, rather than Tiki-taka. The German football analysts and critics are blaming Pep Guardiola for having changed the German football to Tiki-taka and possession football, kind of blaming Germany's miserable performance and early elimination on this style of playing.
                        Sir Alex Ferguson was the mastermind behind this style of football, and it paid off for him with Man United. I have a feeling next World Cup we will witness many teams doing what France and some other teams did this World Cup!
                        Tiki-taka has never been the norm, especially not in World Cups. Results driven strategies have been the norm for a long time (Italy, Germany in the past, all Italian clubs, Man U, Chelsea etc. Etc.)

Tiki-Taka only works for extremely talented teams that are head and shoulders above their opponents and only comes around once in while.. (Joga bonita Brazil, Untouchable Arsenal, Barca, Bayern)
                        It never has and never will be the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Mark View Post
                          Some of those comments are controlling "narrative" in a world of one respectable member, as to tell an alternative reality, turning a defeat to a win, unattractive to a beautiful.
                          This Parking Bus tactic is not new and often used by many Iranian lazy teams when they face a stronger opponent as desperation tactics and some with success.

Many of our Iranian players especially those in IPL were not brought up in proper schools that systematically teach the same skills/tactics growing up. That's why our tactics, park the bus or not, are very individualistic. CQ worked with what he had.

Croatia has good schooling of footballers as well as having many high profile legionnaires. So their players have lessons that ours never received. Thats why all of their skills are close to each other( and they can swap out for each other. They dont have giant gaps in skills between our players.

Look at Gucci vs Taremi. Taremi is the better equipped striker with speed, jumping, strength etc. Unfortunately finishing is partially a taught skill and Gucci has 1000x more lessons than Taremi.

Look at Ghoddos vs Azmoun. Azmoun's footballing personality is a combo of coddling and individual skills. Ghoddos was taught in academies to always chase the ball, always look to goal. Always get in on the action. These make huge differences to how a player plays.

I bet in the next year, if both called to Team Melli, Noorafkan/Gholizadeh will outperform Torabi. Just because they are taught things about play that Torabi does not have access to.

This is why things like the Kia Academy and actual academies being made in Iran are so important. If you can increase the base knowledge/skill set of players throughout the pool we will always be more competitive than waiting for individual talents to come through the system. Unfortunately our culture is also very narcissistic and that is a barrier to this ideology.

Many in Iran are not taught proper trapping, dribbling, cross, shooting technique. Even in my 6th-8th grade league we had academy coaches teaching kids these things in the US. I doubt the infrastructure exists in Iran. This is why in IPL you see so many shots that go 40 yards over the goal, crosses that go wildly off balance, weak passes, momentum killed during the game. These are things that need to be taught ages 10-17

Comment

Originally posted by St_Mark View Post
                            eQUOTE=Irandoust;2577026]As I was scrolling down while reading the comments of the rest of the members, I was getting ready to counter their respectable opinions over the discussion in hand and then I saw your comment.
                            After more than seven years in charge of the National team and using the same deep defending tactics with eleven players, there is no reason to believe that under CQ's leadership, we will ever see a shift of having two strikes occupying the minds of the opposite central defenders like the Croatian and French strikes would do in this past world cup.

Two years ago Veisi did it with Esteghlal Khuzestan and won the championship by Bus tactics, then, P Musavi continued in ACL with relative success 9 man D line. They did not concede more than 2 goals and scored in every game! , even scored first goals in Saudi Arabia & Qatar against strong Al Hilal & Al Duhail.

30.05.2017 AFC ACL Al Hilal Riyadh 2_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                            23.05.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1_2 Al Hilal Riyadh
                            09.05.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1_1 Jazira Abu Dhabi
                            25.04.2017 AFC ACL Al Fateh (KSA) 1_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                            10.04.2017 AFC ACL Al Duhail SC 2_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                            14.03.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1_1 Al Duhail SC
                            27.02.2017 AFC ACL Jazira Abu Dhabi 0_1 Esteghlal Khuz
                            20.02.2017 AFC ACL Esteghlal Khuz 1:0 Al Fateh (KSA).

Iranian teams/clubs lacks proper organization and training facilities for fitness. Their players are unfit and lazy and unable to compete with the teams in ACL. Because mostly lack passing skills they waste some of their energy chasing the ball then lay back and park the bus.

Because of this fitness issue, CQ believes he needs a long period of training with IPL squad to compensate for that.

Expecting from CQ different style of game is unrealistic.[/QUOTE]
                            Having three foreign coaches in charge of the three most popular clubs in Iran for the up coming IPL season, could perhaps bring an alternate system to that deep defensive style with their more offensive approaches.
                            The head coaches of Esteghlal, Perspolis and Teraktor, should be able to gradually solve the technical problems that you mentioned.
                            The reason is because we can not depend on that one dimensional defensive system and hope to cause miracles in the 2022 world cup.
                            We must learn how to make more presence in the opposite half.

Comment

^

Granted there are various shortcomings, structural, administrative…in Iran and incompetence IFF, however often CQ plays the same defensive tactics against much weaker teams ( i.e. Tunisia or U21 Uzbek..). the Difference is those weaker teams are unable to put pressure against TM otherwise it's the same scenario.

Infrastructure, administrative shortcomings in Iran to the large degree does not justify CQ misconducts, occasionally, unprofessional conducts, and psychotic (narcissist) behavior.

For a coach who has been for about 8 and wishes to stay for 12, his relationship with Iranian clubs, their manages is mesmerizing and unconstructive( that is not limited to the Iranian coaches).

For a coach who desires to be NT coach for 12 years is essential to be closely involved with Youth programs (16-19-21) and be constructive not just for a photo op. According to IFF officials monitoring youth programs is part of his responsibilities.
                              Unless changes are made, four years more with CQ is the same. IF he is unhappy with Iran; there are options for Him, Egypt, Australia, Tajikistan, Tunisia…. No many other major clubs or National teams have shown serious interest in his unattractive tactics.
                              Given the fact that fans want him, IFF fear him and SM is ok with him, he will stay and the only issue remain is a dispute over his extra conditions and Money.
                              It seems We will end up of putting up with his tactics and his narcissist behavior for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X