what has CQ done for TM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarbaze-Vatan View Post

When I want to rate a coach, there are two main things I look at. First, quality of football which includes ball possession, number of accurate passes, and creating goal scoring opportunities by teamwork. Second, final results or achievements in the tournaments.
    You have your priorities off then.

Winning trumps everything.

No one ever talks about how great Portugal was in Euro 2004. They only talk about how Greece parked the bus and countered to victory.

No one talks about Euro 2016's high flying teams. They talk about Portugals pragmatic defend and wait for a goal approach.

Even less people speak of Croatias dominating game in WC2018. They speak of France's grinding down of opponents.

You keep making statements like " would have.. ". You cant prove any of those points.

Solid facts are that he had our best performance in a WC (4pts) and is the only coach Iran has ever had to record clean sheets (2 of them) in World cups. Maybe someone older can correct me, but we also never have had a result against a team as strong as Portugal in an official competitive match. Scotland 1978 might be the last one. Portugal are reigning Euro champs so I'd say our performances were very good

If we want to make "would have" statements.. I'd say we would have wrecked the Saudis actually. And in this scenario where "Syria" would have switched to that group... We would have gotten Thailand. Cake walk

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
      You have your priorities off then.

Winning trumps everything.
      No one ever talks about how great Portugal was in Euro 2004. They only talk about how Greece parked the bus and countered to victory.

No one talks about Euro 2016's high flying teams. They talk about Portugals pragmatic defend and wait for a goal approach.

Even less people speak of Croatias dominating game in WC2018. They speak of France's grinding down of opponents.

You keep making statements like " would have.. ". You cant prove any of those points.

Solid facts are that he had our best performance in a WC (4pts) and is the only coach Iran has ever had to record clean sheets (2 of them) in World cups. Maybe someone older can correct me, but we also never have had a result against a team as strong as Portugal in an official competitive match. Scotland 1978 might be the last one. Portugal are reigning Euro champs so I'd say our performances were very good

If we want to make "would have" statements.. I'd say we would have wrecked the Saudis actually. And in this scenario where "Syria" would have switched to that group... We would have gotten Thailand. Cake walk
      Record is not important. Final result or achievements are important.

Iran drew with Portugal by a non-existent handball penalty. At the end of the day, the outcome was group stage exit.

When It comes to qualification to the WC, no body expects Syria and Thailand qualify unlike Japan and Saudi Arabia. CQ had two unsuccessful Asian Cups and qualified Iran to the WC 2018 from weak qualifying group by avoiding Japan and Saudi Arabia. In the WC, his outcome was group stage exit.

He is not a successful head coach. He is only successful as an assistant or planner or talent scout. As an assistant, he can be even in the best teams of the world. This is what his resume indicates.

Comment

Huge difference between single knockout stage game and group stage. If Syria was in the other group, they would have finished below Australia by many points. Also I said CQ got weak qualifying because he was extremely lucky to avoid Japan and Saudi Arabia not Australia. Australia and Iran were in the same seed in the final round of WCQs 2018 where Australia got much tougher group and CQ with Iran got much weaker group.
        Record is not important. Achievements are the most important thing. Any coach got good overall results with Iran because Iran is in Asia and if Japan and Korea from East and Saudi Arabia and Iran from west along with Australia do not qualify to the WC, who do you expect to qualify? You guys should be extremely happy that CQ finally left. He should have been shown the exit door after his second or third year.
        Regard Wilmots, It is still too early to rate him. He has not gotten any challenge so far. Regard Branko Ivankovic, Perspolis fans should build his statue but he was not successful with the national team.
        When I want to rate a coach, there are two main things I look at. First, quality of football which includes ball possession, number of accurate passes, and creating goal scoring opportunities by teamwork. Second, final results or achievements in the tournaments.
        If you know anything about football, you will first look at the quality of players available to a coaches disposal before judging the tactics he chooses. In WC 2014, we had one offensively player capable of hanging with the best. Dejagah. And he was allowed the freedom to do so. Shojaei has always been hit or miss for TM, but even CQ extracted one great game from his vs argentina. Our midfielders of Ando and Nekou were on the back end of their careers, and had to spend entire game covering for weak 1v1 defenders. Obviously they will not be able to play tiki taka stuff. Yet this still managed to have just as many clear chances as argentina and nigeria in the first two matches.

In russia, the teams we were playing are SO FAR superior to us in terms of talent, that somebody who says our campaign cannot be seen as successful bc of our "ball Possession, number of accurate passes, and creation of goal scoring opportunities" doesnt understand anything about football. How can a midfield of omid ebrahimi, vahid amiri, and saeid ezatolahi hold sizeable ball possession numbers vs busquets, iniesta, david silva, and isco Dont make a fool of yourself. AND even with that situation we created multiple quality openings vs portugal and spain that unfortunately we could not convert. This game plan got us to within 3 taremi chances of progression. Had he put any of these on target we would have went through. CQ cannot go on the pitch and score for the players too lol.

Tactics are chosen based on the realities of players available in comparison to the other teams. CQs asian cup record could be a point of legitimate contention for you to base your argument off. IMO, he (as a result of actions from destabilizing forces inside iran) could not alleviate the tension surrounding the team (this has to be our year BULLSHIT) and they collapsed mentally vs japan once something went wrong.

But when you criticize his WC performance your argument loses every shred of credibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM9vO8eZKqM
        This was reaction of didi haman to our world cup performance. CQs tactics and the teams effort brought us this level of global respect amongst those who understand anything about the sport.

Comment

Again you said what I have been saying. They praised him because he was an excellent assistant coach in Man United. As I said, he can be even in the best teams of the world as an assistant or planner or talent scout. As a head coach, he can never be a successful head coach with any team in tournaments and this is what his record as head coach indicates. Anyway you can take whatever you want.
          They didn't say assistant coach. They said coach.

It's well known that SAF wanted Carlos to succeed him at Man U.
          Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginG Inferno View Post
            They didn't say assistant coach. They said coach.

It's well known that SAF wanted Carlos to succeed him at Man U.
            You said they said coach. So they did not say head coach. Also he was an assistant coach in Man United not head coach.
            SAF picked Moyes as his replacement not CQ. After his spell with Portugal, no team in top Europe football was willing to trust CQ as a head coach. They all rated him highly only as a assistant or planner or talent scout not head coach.
            If you give Japan to CQ for 12 years, Japan will never reach second round of WC or Asian Cup final. The next Copa America is in 2020. Argentina and Colombia will host it. When CQ fails in next Copa America again, you still will say that SAF praised him and so on.

Comment

Iran drew with Portugal by a non-existent handball penalty.
              Yet you ignore the Carvalho penalty which we should've got. Here are two independent commentators saying the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezg0b1Lsmg

Yet you ignore the wrong offside call against Spain, where Azmoun's head didn't touch the ball.

You ignore facts that are inconvenient to your view.
              Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Separately from this discussion, what could've been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBjCWAb0oA

Comment

Again you said what I have been saying. They praised him because he was an excellent assistant coach in Man United.
                  Nope. SAF made the comment while CQ was coaching Portugal, and Keane made the comment in 2018 while he was coaching Iran.

Comment

https://youtu.be/cwSOAgVg8Pk

Comment

What was the final outcome? Group stage exit
                      How was the quality of football? Whenever Iran had the ball against Spain and Portugal, how long could Iran keep the ball? How many accurate passes did Iran have? How many goal scoring opportunities Iran had?
                      Do not forget that both Spain and Portugal were nothing special at the WC 2018. If Iran plays with Spain 10 times, Iran may be able to win or draw once. IMO that one time should have been the WC where Spain sacked its coach couple days before the WC and all teams got at least draw against Spain except Iran.
                      Iran needed to win the match with Portugal. Iran should have played its own game against Portugal like attacking whenever Iran needed and defending whenever Iran needed but Iran started the game with parking the bus.
                      Clearly, you had this all figured out. I'm outraged that IFF went with CQ and wasted all that money. They should have just hired you instead. Please submit your resume to IFF ASAP.

Comment

What was the final outcome? Group stage exit
                        How was the quality of football? Whenever Iran had the ball against Spain and Portugal, how long could Iran keep the ball? How many accurate passes did Iran have? How many goal scoring opportunities Iran had?
                        Do not forget that both Spain and Portugal were nothing special at the WC 2018. If Iran plays with Spain 10 times, Iran may be able to win or draw once. IMO that one time should have been the WC where Spain sacked its coach couple days before the WC and all teams got at least draw against Spain except Iran.
                        Iran needed to win the match with Portugal. Iran should have played its own game against Portugal like attacking whenever Iran needed and defending whenever Iran needed but Iran started the game with parking the bus.
                        You are clearly somebody who doesnt understand this sport. I suggest you take up something like badminton. Teams dont just get to attack at will "whenever they need". This isnt FIFA. Portugal is not cambodia, they are the reigning european champions and european Nations League champions. I hate to break it to you but our squad had/has nowhere NEAR the technical capabilities that (especially in the most high pressure game of these players lives) allow us to dictate a match vs a team of portugals caliber.

We started out parking the bus because our players like in every single WC game in 2018 started out unable to pass a ball 5 yards because of the stress of not every being in this situation before. After the initial 15-20 mins of all the matches we stabilized dramatically and started to play our own game, which although heavily defensive with multiple completely necessary defensive layers, still got at all 3 of the teams in our group on various counter attacks.

Comment

He CQ was never a reliable head coach. This is what his resume indicates.
                          Record is not important. Final result or achievements are important.
                          He is not a successful head coach.
                          Two World Championships.
                          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Oh I don't know... how about:

1. Scouting Gucci (especially everyone in Iran talking shit about him being a second tier player and he ended up being our saviour to go the world cup)
                            2. 2 World Cups in a row, first time in Iran's history.
                            3. best ever performance at a world cup Iran has ever had.
                            4. Getting rid of hashieh and BS in the team and plucking out the weed (rahmati)
                            5. Did I mention giving Beiranvand a chance while everyone was saying he is not good internationally?
                            6. The most synced and solid team given the lower talent pool compared to Branko's generation
                            7. Keeping Iran ranked 1 side in Asia through most of his time as head coach.

If bad luck and poor refereeing weren't factored in and Iran capitalized on the great oppurtunities we created thanks to CQ we would be praising this man as the messiah !
                            You just got Caged
                            K.C McElroy's Fan

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFFb40JSeys

Comment

I genuinely don't understand how anyone could have a bad word to say about Queiroz.

He wasn't perfect, but he revolutionised our football and sowed seeds for our future in some tremendously damaged soil, some of which are only just starting to grow into shoots of hope.

He will always be a legend for our football and gave the country some hope in these difficult times. The comments here from Sarbaze Vatan are not borne out of any realism or pragmatism about working in Iran's political/economic/sport systems. They also fail to give any credit to all the multitude of tangible and intangible things Queiroz did which will reap dividends for many years to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X