What group of death?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What group of death?!

I think many of us are confused about what a group of death is. A group of death is a group that has strong teams in it where the difference in them is in a way that any of the 4 teams have a reasonable chance of advancing to a neutral observer. One can have a pure group of death where all 4 teams have a chance of advancing or a group of death relative to a single team, meaning it's a group of death for that team only as its 3 opponents are stronger than that team. The strength of the teams and the subsequent chances they are given for advancement are based on current strength and/or reputation and past performances.

Currently with the number of minnow teams participating in a World Cup, it is extremely hard to get a group of death as one or two minnow teams will always be present in every group. For this World Cup I don't see any group of death. In the previous World Cup we had a relative group of death for Costa Rica as it played Uruguay, Italy and England. The closest we have come to a true group of death in recent times is 2002 when we had Argentina, England, Sweden and Nigeria in a group where two were strong plus had reputations (as prior World Champions) and the other two were strong and had previously advanced from their group in past World Cups.

Looking at our group I find it laughable to call it a group of death. A group that has Iran and Morocco in it could not be a group of death. To any neutral observer, the clear favorites to advance are Spain and Portugal thus to those observers there is no balance or reasonable expectation for any team other than those two to advance. It's not even a group of death relative to us (or Morocco, only a quarterfinalist in the most recent African Championship) as we both fully expected to beat the other team. We have 2 strong opponents in our group. The group relative to us is a difficult group and to any neutral observer is simply a very straightforward group as to who advances. To a neutral observer anything other than Spain and Portugal advancing would be considered an upset. Meanuwhile to a neutral observer there are no upsets in a group of death as all 4 teams have a reasonable chance of beating each other and/or advancing.
    A pure group of death relative to a neutral obeserver
    0%
    A group of death relative to us
    0%
    A difficult group
    0%
    An average group
    0%
    An easy group
    0%
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Granted, I am sure many were happy to avoid our group, but lets face it:It's not because of Iran or Morocco.

We change that notion on Monday

Comment

Originally posted by arash123 View Post
      Granted, I am sure many were happy to avoid our group, but lets face it:It's not because of Iran or Morocco.

We change that notion on Monday
      I certainly hope we can pull off the upset tomorrow.
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Morocco were considered by many as the dark horse for the tournament especially British media

The group has two teams with 0 goals conceded in their respective final qualifying founds (Morocco and iran) prior to qualification, which is historic.

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
          Morocco were considered by many as the dark horse for the tournament especially British media
          The group has two teams with 0 goals conceded in their respective final qualifying founds (Morocco and iran) prior to qualification, which is historic.
          That speaks more to the strength of their continents although to be accurate we conceded 2 goals in the final round of our qualification.
          Edit: I see you meant prior to qualifying.

Comment

We played an elexclent World Cup since 1998! With a win against Morocco and if we WIN tommorw inshalah we write History. We alrwady played good and I even believe we can make to the Final and let's start first to sent Ronaldo back home

Pray one more time for Team-Melli

Comment

you seem to discount Morocco's reputation.
              its a team packed with players playing I Europe's top leagues and top teams; ajax, juve, … .
              you got:

1- world champs & euro champs

2- reigning euro champs

plus, Iran is Asia's top ranked team.

it's group of death allright. becoz when draw is made, the names & reputations of teams are considered.

you cant get a group like brazil-spain-Portugal-England.
              mathematically it is not possible

Comment

Originally posted by shahabGAOL View Post
                We played an elexclent World Cup since 1998!
                You do realize that we did not qualify in 2002 and 2010 and have never advanced beyond group play? I wouldn't call it excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
                  you seem to discount Morocco's reputation.
                  its a team packed with players playing I Europe's top leagues and top teams; ajax, juve, … .
                  you got:

1- world champs & euro champs

2- reigning euro champs

plus, Iran is Asia's top ranked team.

it's group of death allright. becoz when draw is made, the names & reputations of teams are considered.

you cant get a group like brazil-spain-Portugal-England.
                  mathematically it is not possible
                  That's my point. There are no groups of death with this many teams from weaker continents. To the neutral observer the two teams expected to advance are obvious. Anything other than that happening is an upset. There are no upsets in a group of death. Our group is just hard (for us).

Comment

In all fairness having the best team in Asia and (arguably) Africa is as close to a group of death as possible. Feel bad for Morocc and Portugal, any other group and they would have had a good chance at progressing to R16.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                      In all fairness having the best team in Asia and (arguably) Africa is as close to a group of death as possible. Feel bad for Morocc and Portugal, any other group and they would have had a good chance at progressing to R16.
                      How is Morocco the best team in Africa? They were eliminated in the quarterfinals of their last continental championship and haven't been to the World Cup in 20 years.

Comment

Their record since their AFCON defeat was formidable and that's what led most pundits to tip them as outsiders and many would have argued they were the best African team. Regardless, if you tried to build the strongest group from the seedings, I don't think you would be able to improve much on our group.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                          Their record since their AFCON defeat was formidable and that's what led most pundits to tip them as outsiders and many would have argued they were the best African team. Regardless, if you tried to build the strongest group from the seedings, I don't think you would be able to improve much on our group.
                          Sure you could. Look at the other groups.

Comment

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GROUP OF DEATH!

You want evidence, watch the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                              Sure you could. Look at the other groups.
                              https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018...ld_Cup_seeding

Us and Morocco are surely amongst the strongest in pots 3 and 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X