No announcement yet.

Iran vs Portugal Referee, again from South America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are wrong. Most of my life I have had Portuguese and Hispanic people around me and I have both witnessed them talk to each other in their own native tongue and understand one another completely. There is no point in arguing this with you.

End of the day, a Spanish speaking ref should not be used at a WC when one side is Spanish or Portuguese speaking.

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
    This is not correct, although they can understand each other to some extent it's not like they can understand each other clearly (enough for the purpose of the game though).

Brazilian and Portuguese are like Afghans and Iranians. Brazilians understand the Portuguese well but other way around, especially if they talk in their dialect is not so easy.

For Spanish is even more difficult to understand Brazilians, although they can understand Portuguese fairly well if Portuguese talk slow and clear. Portuguese understand Spanish better as they watch Spanish shows/TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Persian-Pride87 View Post
      End of the day, a Spanish speaking ref should not be used at a WC when one side is Spanish or Portuguese speaking.
      If anything I say use a ref that speaks at least one, if not both, of the languages spoken. A ref who can communicate with players can be much clearer than one who can't communicate.
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

I would agree if the ref for the Iran-Portugal game spoke both Persian and Portuguese.

Here, a Spanish speaking ref can communicate with one side (Portugal) by speaking a language (Spanish) that the other team (Iran) does not understand. This is not right and it is clearly in Portugal's favor.

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
        If anything I say use a ref that speaks at least one, if not both, of the languages spoken. A ref who can communicate with players can be much clearer than one who can't communicate.

Comment

I would agree if the ref for the Iran-Portugal game spoke both Persian and Portuguese.

Here, a Spanish speaking ref can communicate with one side (Portugal) by speaking a language (Spanish) that the other team (Iran) does not understand. This is not right and it is clearly in Portugal's favor.
          I don't see what advantage it would give them unless you are suggesting the players and ref will be plotting throughput the match.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Every match is some complaint about the referee, and then during the match the referee is fine.

Stop it.

Comment

You are wrong. Most of my life I have had Portuguese and Hispanic people around me and I have both witnessed them talk to each other in their own native tongue and understand one another completely. There is no point in arguing this with you.
              You're right in one thing: no point in arguing with someone like you.

I typed that while a Spanish person was sitting next to me and a verified it with her (and not for the first time) while we both work, on a daily basis for many years, with a lot of Portuguese and South Americans (including Brazilians).

But yeah you know better....

Comment

And by your logic, a French ref should not be appointed in a game with African teams most of them do speak French as a second language.

Btw why don't you include Italians to that mix? Cause Spanish people understand Italians more or less the same way they understand Brazilians.

But I guess you know better than Spanish people what they do or don't understand huh?

Comment

the similarity of the language should not be a concern. It's the preferential treatment that a Ronaldo would get, regardless of what language he speaks should be a concern. He will get the calls because of his star status regardless of what language the ref speaks
                  “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

The referee is picked from one of the confederations that is not represented by the nations that are playing in the game - unless both are from the same confederation (in which during the group stage this can only happen to teams from UEFA).

It means that if FIFA would have picked another referee it would have been someone from CAF (Africa), OFC (Oceania) or CONCACAF (North America). I'm pretty sure some of you guys would complain then too.

Comment

What I don't understand is why 95% of the VAR officials are from
                      EU countries. There is only one or 2 from the Americas and I have
                      yet to see any from Asia or Africa.

I think this was a backdoor way for FIFA to monitor Asian and African
                      refs and overrule them if they don't follow their "guidelines".

Comment

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
                        And by your logic, a French ref should not be appointed in a game with African teams most of them do speak French as a second language.
                        Btw why don't you include Italians to that mix? Cause Spanish people understand Italians more or less the same way they understand Brazilians.
                        But I guess you know better than Spanish people what they do or don't understand huh?
                        And also when a Refferee can understand multiple languages, it shouldn't disclude him from a wide range of matches which he would have been able to attend if he wouldnt learn a language?
                        Persian-Pride87's argument is bs. End of the story.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beri486 View Post
                          What I don't understand is why 95% of the VAR officials are from
                          EU countries. There is only one or 2 from the Americas and I have
                          yet to see any from Asia or Africa.

I think this was a backdoor way for FIFA to monitor Asian and African
                          refs and overrule them if they don't follow their "guidelines".
                          Or perhaps because the Europeans are better at VAR.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                            Or perhaps because the Europeans are better at VAR.
                            Most VAR technology is developed in Asia though...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoorad View Post
                              Most VAR technology is developed in Asia though...
                              In which countries/leagues has it mostly been used?

Comment

Originally posted by Tehranto View Post
                                He loves Iran. He has been in Iran for the last 7 years. He is getting paid millions. He left Portugal on very bad terms with a lot of the administration and staff. He has tension with their star player, Ronaldo.

Believe me, he wants us to beat Portugal more than we want to
                                I don’t question CQs loyalty to Iran for a second but at the end of the day.....he is Portuguese. The same way we would still support TM if ppl we hated like MK or ghalemorghi was our coach CQ will still (rightfully so) support Portugal regardless of his fall outs with them.

I think he will find a win vs them bitter-sweet.....bitter in the fact that he would eliminate his country but sweet in the fact that it would be a nice F*** you to the FA and players he is on bad terms with. As a competitor this is what you live for and to add to it it’s the biggest match in his 7 years as TM coach so I think at the end of the day he will be happy with a win
                                Team Meli Iran
                                Perspolis FC
                                Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Working...
                                X