IRAN - MOROCCO - Russia WC 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRAN - MOROCCO - Russia WC 2018

I was going to start writing about our game as if Germany was playing Morocco, but remembered I had already done that before. Which points to a major issue about TM; we’ve become uncharacteristically disciplined under CQ. That itself may be the single most important factor in our success in int’l games for the past few years.

We came into the game as clear underdogs, facing the much more skilled Moroccan team whose players are some of the stars of top European clubs. Enters CQ, the wiley, shrewd old fox that he’s reputed to be. We all knew he’d have major plans for this game from the moment the WC Draw was done many centuries ago. This game was our WC tournament. The entire tournament. The WC final for us. So you bet your ass he’d have plans for this. To surprise & catch the opponents off guard.

But if you thought the Moroccans would be surprised, the released line up & later on, the team formation confused Iranians too! Even after the major shock of leaving Jalal Hosseini back in Iran, which was a shocker to almost all of us.
    To me our formation looked like 343, which is something I haven’t seen TM play … like EVER. Then comes his roster where the obvious choice for an experienced CB in absence of Hosseini, Montazeri was also missing. Leaving it all to PAG to marshal the defense. Along with Rezaeian, a RB who now has to perform as a CB! And Cheshmi, a part-time MD, filling in as the 3rd CB! Whoooaa, … hello!!

Seeing Hajsafi on the left DM gave the impression that he’d be running ragged between DN duties as well as part-time LB, part-time LM. Energizer Bunny, … move aside. Here comes Ehsan.

Captain Shojaei, Ebrahimi, JB, Azmoun and Amiri were the staple in TM and brought some familiarity. But what on God’s wide earth was Ansarifard doing in …. somewhere there in the midfield??? More on this later.
    I’m sure apart from TM squad & bench, the rest of the world was feeling amused to exacerbated, … but also intrigued. Intrigued just how we’d perform.

We all have seen the game, so I wont go over the events. But the utter supremacy in display of discipline by TM under so much pressure was tremendously satisfying. It was understood that every single player had to take part in defense. And they did. Even JB and Amiri, our wingers, who spent much time in our own half or on the halfline than in opponents’ box.

But while we were in awe of our team cohesion & focus, there was something familiar as the game progressed. We absorbed the pressure. Kept our defensive shape. And started to get comfortable with quick counters. We even created a few dangerous attacks that with a little more focus from our strikers, we could have even taken the lead.

What became clear after the first 30 minutes of intense Moroccan pressure (mixed with a fortunate block by Beiranvand & Cheshmi to block a 100% goal) was that they just didn’t have an idea how to deal with our meshwork of players. Moreover they also had to watch for our quick moves that were starting to trouble Benatia and co. Even after their coach had a chance to reorganize his team and come up with alternatives, we saw the same old pattern of attacks from flanks that made our work easier to deal with. Perhaps it was credit to PAG-Cheshmi-Ebrahimi triangle in the center that formed an unsurpassable wall.
    Their only remedy was change of personnel… which did nothing to offer as alternative for their now toothless, predictable attacks. While our lads showed more energy and drive and pushed for the kill near the end.

Yes, the goal was an own goal and lucky. But luck favors the brave. The fact that we went toe to toe with such jam packed team and had the audacity to attack them and pick our moments showed we did deserve to get something out of the game. Full credit to CQ’s masterful tactics and strategy, as well as our lads’ magnificent focused performances.

Now if Spain and Portugal are going to start taking notice of our team’s movements and tactics and especially roster, … heh, well as they say, they’ve got another thing coming. Hang onto your shorts gents, coz you might have a very bumby ride.
    At this point, after the events & news of the past month, I don’t dare predict our line up or formation or strategy. However, one thing is ensured. A very disciplined TM display, yet again.

Thanks TM & CQ for letting us hope we may yet advance.

Now to Ansarifard and a few other players.

I still dont know what Ansarifard did in terms of helping the defense or attack, except a couple of occasions.
    Now, after his revival in Greece, I have become a fan of him. So I am aware he's a more capable player and can be useful at TM.
    But that doesnt mean he can play just about ANYwhere in the line up.
    what was he? LM? RM? CAM? one reason for this confusion is becoz he was hardly seen doing anything that visible.
    He did have a few touches that helped the attacks. But I believe other players could have done all these AND more.
    I really hope this is the one game he was used in this manner.
    Maybe on a second ( and much less stressful) viewing I'd get a better idea.

Maybe Ghoddos is kept as the big surprise for the two big games. hence CQ's reluctance to use him

Comment

Nice goal by Morocco! What I don't understand about CQ's lineup though, is why a defensive midfielder (Ebrahimi) is wearing the jersey number 9, which is typically used for center forwards.
      sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Now a couple of bitchings.

I simple HATE this moronic, idiotic, meaningless tag some indiitic Iranians have given to Azmoun as the Iranian Messi.
        I dont know which 7 yr old moron has started this, but they certainly have caused much embarrassment for not only Azmoun, but all Iranians.

Aside from the fact that Azmoun cant dribble a quarter as well as Messi, hell he loses in dribbling against a whole bunch of IRANIAN players itself.
        So that is out.
        He really doesnt marshal jack in the field also. Messi is on a different planet in this too.

the only similarity is Azmoun hardly bothers to track back & join in the defense (perhaps CQ's instructions), that is similar to Messi's role.
        That's it.

So when I hear ppl bring this tag up and actually discuss it, that pain becomes even more and embarrassment, deeper.
        Not only it puts undue pressure on him, it makes for idiots commentators who follow such tags to make fun of him and even Iranians.
        Watching Ian Wright, idiot Lalas and Gus Hiddink comment on this was painful enough. Imagine what they say off camera.

I know we shdnt bother. But the fact that it's spread so far & wide is most embarrassing for Iran.

=========================

While on Azmoun, I really wonder what if he was more in form. He'd have taken control of that through ball where there were NO defenders around him. (Would love to have seen how RGN would have handled that situation. probably far better)
        Would have loved to see us score a proper goal.
        Point is, against the next 2 teams, I doubt he'd have more than 1 or 2 opportunities. We cant afford to be so laxed about it.

Comment

Karim was used as LCM of the 4-3-3 when in possession and as LM of the 4-5-1 when defending. While Amiri was LW on attack and LCM in defense, pretty much what Hajsafi played last World Cup.

Didn't understand the whole idea of putting a classic number 9 as midfielder already in our friendlies and I think it always cost us in the build up, also against Morocco.

On the other hand he is tall and won many important duels in the air and seeing the stats that he was the player with second most distance covered after Amiri on both teams, I get why Queiroz has opted for him.

Not to talk about the circumstance that I still think he would have tapped that Hajsafi cross in, hadn't Bouhaddouz done the job himself.
          Last edited by Martin-Reza; 06-16-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I have noticed Ghuchan-Nejad is not playing... I hope he is not injured.
            sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
              Karim was used as LCM of the 4-3-3 when in possession and as LM of the 4-5-1 when defending. While Amiri was LW on attack and LCM in defense, pretty much what Hajsafi played last World Cup.
              Didn't understand the whole idea of putting a classic number 9 as midfielder already in our friendlies and I think it always cost us in the build up, also against Morocco.
              On the other hand he is tall and won many important duels in the air and seeing the stats that he was the player with second most distance covered after Amiri on both teams, I get why Queiroz has opted for him.
              Not to talk about the circumstance that I still think he would have tapped that Hajsafi cross in, hadn't Bouhaddouz done the job himself.

I think CQ counted on Karim’s physical strength and height there, but also he did not want to reveal his hand before Spain game. I dont think thats the line up he has in mind vs spain.
              CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Working...
              X