Queiroz to quit as Iran coach after World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queiroz to quit as Iran coach after World Cup

Good for him. He has done enough with all the mismanagement and emotional nonsense that Iran's football has to deal with. Let Karimi, GN, Mayelikohan, Branko run our team. On another note, this could be yet another attempt at forcing IFF to give him that 4 year contract (that he deserves).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1IP2NM

Queiroz, who has been in charge of Team Melli since April 2011, had been offered an extension to his contract by the Iranian Football Federation until January’s Asian Cup finals in the United Arab Emirates.

But the 65-year-old has decided to call time on his seven-year stint with the Iranians after the World Cup, where they have been drawn to take on Morocco, Spain and Portugal in Group B.

“It’s almost one year since we qualified for the World Cup and it’s true that they gave me an offer to go for six months to the Asian Cup in the Emirates, but it didn’t meet my expectations,” Queiroz said by telephone from his team’s training camp in Turkey.

“After all these years, for the Iranian federation to only extend the contract for six months is a decision that shows no appreciation or recognition for what I’ve done. It’s an offer that isn’t acceptable from my point of view.

“The negotiations are closed, they are behind me.

“Before we came here to Istanbul the federation was supposed to review the position and they did not come back to me, so from now on it’s time to move forward.”

QUALIFICATION RECORD
    Queiroz had considered retiring after the World Cup to spend more time with his family, but now wants to become the first coach to secure qualification for the World Cup finals on five occasions.

Brazilian Carlos Alberto Pereira and Serbian Bora Milutinovic have coached five times at the World Cup, with both taking charge of teams that had either qualified as hosts or stepped in as replacement coaches for already qualified nations.

Queiroz, however, qualified South Africa for the World Cup in 2002 only to step down from his position before the finals in Japan and Korea.

He then led Portugal to the 2010 tournament in South Africa before becoming the first coach to secure back-to-back World Cup appearances with Iran, and he is keen to lead another country to the finals in Qatar in 2022.

“After all these years in Iran there was the possibility that I would retire after the World Cup,” said Queiroz.

“But, in the meantime, the dissatisfaction at not qualifying for a fifth World Cup started to grow.

“It started to speak louder and the more I started to think more about that unique historical opportunity, to be the only coach in football history to have five World Cup qualifications under my belt, my anger and desire started to grow and this is now my main goal and my expectation.

“I’ve had two offers, one from Africa and one from Asia with the chance to qualify for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022, and if that doesn’t happen then I can look at one or two options that I have in England after the World Cup.”

Honestly as much as I love CQ, good for him. Get out of Iran for your own sake. You've spent almost 8 years there and done great things. You deserve better. I'm just worried what garbage they will put after him! We love you CQ!

Comment

CQ is the mastermind of psychological warfare. Watch Taj offer CQ a 4 year deal soon and CQ stays.

Comment

Hopefully our next manager will show some decency and keep comments like we are 50 years behind Spain and Portugal to him self. And hopefully we don’t treat the coach by where he is from, but what results he brings to the table for the team. Hopefully the players he chooses are the ones based on current form, not favoritism. The ideal manager and most realistic looks to be Schaffer, but we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by naderb94 View Post
          CQ is the mastermind of psychological warfare. Watch Taj offer CQ a 4 year deal soon and CQ stays.
          i agree, the same thing happen in 2014, i mean if the team get good result, then IFF will be killed if they dont renew his contract.

Comment

This is CQ's way of negotiating.

As stupid as the IFF are, one thing they do know is that CQ is one of the best things (if not the best) to happen to Iranian football. To let him walk without offering a proper contract would be idiotic beyond belief.

Expect IFF to make another offer that he can't refuse, just like last time this happened.
            We are currently witnessing a revolution in Iranian football. Team Melli has never been stronger than it is today, and we will only get better.

Comment

this is also a tactic by CQ. hit 2 birds with 1 stone
              1. motivate the players extra to do thier best and get good result
              2. with tm motivated,this can put pressure on IFF. with 6 months to asian cup, no coach can do a job, no iranian coach and foreign coach also, i think IFF should give him a 3 years contract till 2021 and automatically renew till 2022 if we qualify agian

Comment

This is awesome. Your team needs uncertainty less than month before the world cup. Good job Carlos, way to motivate your team.

Complain about ALi Karimi creating drama right before the world cup, turn around and create the biggest drama yourself. That's some 4D chess my man.
                Last edited by The; 05-24-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

He's not stupid. He knows he can qualify easy with Iran, and that they'd play better in a place like Qatar.

The reason he's saying this is to put the pressure on the IFF. Until now, it was assumed he wanted to leave and was going.

He's also specifically mentioning Africa knowing Cameroon linked themselves with him, and Asia because that means he's going to a rival, which the fans would never forgive the IFF for.

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
                    This is awesome. Your team needs uncertainty less than month before the world cup. Good job Carlos, way to motivate your team.
                    Exactly! This could also explain the line up he went with. This is like that U-17 World Cup coach of Iran who said unmotivational things about his team. You’d expect better from CQ because he is a foreign manager but he’s just as same as an Iranian coach.

Comment

Negotiating tactics.

But I think he will go to Algeria, Australia or Qatar after 2018.

Comment

Guys stop opening your big mouths against our coach Carlos Quieroz I've had enough of the slander. Iran was on a downward spiral before CQ took over, we would not have even qualified for the 2014 and 2018 worlds cups without him just like our 2010 failure! We are not in the teammelli camp so cannot judge. CQ is a smart man, I bet he has communicated to the squad about his intentions to continue as our coach and this is just a negotiating ploy like he's done in the past. It's not the first time foreign media have published news stating CQ has quit or will quit the national team..

Comment

This is like the 10th time CQ has put in his resignation. I am sure everyone is used to it at this point to where we don't expect him to leave unless there is another coach on the bench

Comment

Originally posted by persian_pooya View Post
                            Guys stop opening your big mouths against our coach Carlos Quieroz I've had enough of the slander. Iran was on a downward spiral before CQ took over, we would not have even qualified for the 2014 and 2018 worlds cups just like our 2010 failure! We are not in the teammelli camp so cannot judge. CQ is a smart man, I bet he has communicated to the squad about his intentions to continue as our coach and this is just a negotiating ploy like he done in the past. It's not the first time foreign media have published news stating CQ has quit or will quit the national team..
                            Which is unprofessional and sad. Something you'd expect from an Ali Karimi, not a supposed world class coach.

He's in a win-win situation. He knows the Iranian public eats his crap up because he's a non-Slavic white person and can blame IFF, AFC, baqqaleh sareh kooche for his own short-comings, so he's milking that knowing there would no repercussion since IFF has to cave into his insane demands.

The dude can play Mazaheri as lone striker against Morrocco, get trashed 9-0, and Iranian fans will still blame IFF for the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
                              Which is unprofessional and sad. Something you'd expect from an Ali Karimi, not a supposed world class coach.

He's in a win-win situation. He knows the Iranian public eats his crap up because he's a non-Slavic white person and can blame IFF, AFC, baqqaleh sareh kooche for his own short-comings, so he's milking that knowing there would no repercussion since IFF has to cave into his insane demands.

The dude can play Mazaheri as lone striker against Morrocco, get trashed 9-0, and Iranian fans will still blame IFF for the loss.
                              Save your judgement until after the world cup, because right not you just sound like a moron

Comment

Working...
                              X