1990 World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
    Not only that Abtahi was mainly LW than LB.
    As i said Monajati and IFF messed up our back 4 big time.
    Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk
    I don't think Abtahi played in the back. I'm almost positive it was Taghavi, Hasanzadeh, Khakpour and Mehdi Fonounizadeh. Still poor choices but that's what was available in camp.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
      I think the main reason Panjali was a fixed player in the Asian Games was Parvin flooding the team with Persepolis players. I mean even Ghilich was invited. I thought other than the China away game we played excellent under Monajati. Even in that game we held strong till late in the game and could have even taken the lead with Kermani's header that hit the post. Again with only a few days in between the suspensions and the China game I can't blame anyone but the IFF.
      You lead a home game 3-0, allowing 2 crucial goals which let China advance, i don't call it good coaching. It wasn't only China away but home game also which costed us the qualification as unfortunately every goal counted at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
        I don't think Abtahi played in the back. I'm almost positive it was Taghavi, Hasanzadeh, Khakpour and Mehdi Fonounizadeh. Still poor choices but that's what was available in camp.
        Abtahi was LB.
        Fononi DM. Kermani LW.

Comment

The worst part in all that was UAE which advanced with SK.
          Japan wasn't yet a power, Saudi was shit that year so the second spot was up to grab. As UAE advanced with 4 draws and only 1 win. Imagine

Comment

Originally posted by kaltz View Post

Do you reckon that getting someone from abroad in, someone completely neutral (as I am thinking that there may be some problems in uniting, for example, Persepolis and Esteghlal fans), was vital for the sake of the national team?
            Neutrality towards Persepolis and Esteghlal was too always an issue. Domestic coaches would go out of their way to name equal numbers of players from both clubs so they could avoid being called partisan.
            With a foreign coach that was less of an issue - they would just invite whoever they thought was best. During the beginning of CQ's reign Esteghlal had the better players, and the balance shifted towards Persepolis near the end of his reign.

The best thing about CQ besides his defensive tactical acumen was that he didn't take shit from anyone, yet he simultaneously understood the financial limitations of IFF. For example IFF couldn't pay foreign staff money on time due to sanctions, but instead of crying about a violation of his contract, he would wait and get paid once every 9 months or something. A piece of shit like Marc Wilmots didn't get paid in 1 month, took IFF to CAS and now IFF owes 10 million euros because they weren't smart enough to include clauses in the contract about problems with paying due to sanctions.

Good! What were your favourite bits in that tournament?
            The whole damn thing. It might be nostalgia, but the colors, sounds, the players.... the quality of the knockout stage was to me unrivalled to today. Argentina - England, Brazil - Holland, Holland - Argentina, Croatia - France..

Not to mention Iran was back in the World Cup after 20 years.

Comment

Mehdi is younger brother of Morteza Fononi.
              Players you mentioned were not available due to stupid disciplinary reason.
              Thanks.
              Yes, I was refering to 'FA' in my post; I ought to have used 'IFF' instead. More correct, obviously.
              However, it was my understanding that the ban only applied for three players: Morteza Fonoonizadeh, Mojtabi Moharrama and Sirous Ghayeghran. Were even others suspended by IFF due to the alledged shenanigans? Hence my question regarding Mohammedkhani and also Zarincheh. However, I saw the latter was back for the home fixture against the Chinese a week later, so I guess there were other reasons than suspension, at least for him, which saw him ruled out for the trip to Shenyang.

Monajati back 4 were all messed up and one of the main reason why we lost.
              Hasanzadeh and Khakpour were both inexperienced CB back to the time.
              He played Taghavi as RB which is not his position, he was more of LB and CB occasionally.
              That was the line up,
              Abedzadeh
              Taghavi, Hasanzadeh, Khakpour, Abtahi
              Namjoo, Mehdi Fononi, Eftekhari, Kermani
              Bavi, Pious
              I am impressed with the in-depth knowledge a lot of you guys have regarding this era. Obviously, I am grateful that you're sharing; I am trying to suck it all in.
              So it was definitely a 4-4-2 formation in China?
              The 35 mins or so which I have from the home game against Bangladesh, the formation to me appeared, quite clearly, to be 4-3-3, but of course, that was against much inferior opposition, and it was a home tie, a must-win game. It made perfect sense to switch to 4-4-2 for a difficult away tie, especially when your back four is completely new in comparison to previously in the qualification.

Another question: Why hadn't Pious been featuring under Vatankhah? I am aware he played in Qatar, though that didn't automatically rule him out? Was it so that his club there had refused him to join up with the national team while they were still in season? He returned for the home game against Thailand, but that was already at the end of May, so perhaps the Qatari league season had already finished, and they didn't mind to let him go. It happened quite frequently, at least in Europe, at that time that clubs didn't allow their player(s) to travel for international assignments if they had a club fixture coming up.

Comment

Abtahi was LB.
                Fononi DM. Kermani LW.

Perhaps he was. I remember him playing midfield that game but I could be wrong. But in any case we were missing Moharrami, Morteza Fonounizadeh, Nader Mohammadkhani through suspension and Zarrincheh through injury. And all just a few days before the game.
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Thanks.
                  Yes, I was refering to 'FA' in my post; I ought to have used 'IFF' instead. More correct, obviously.
                  However, it was my understanding that the ban only applied for three players: Morteza Fonoonizadeh, Mojtabi Moharrama and Sirous Ghayeghran. Were even others suspended by IFF due to the alledged shenanigans? Hence my question regarding Mohammedkhani and also Zarincheh. However, I saw the latter was back for the home fixture against the Chinese a week later, so I guess there were other reasons than suspension, at least for him, which saw him ruled out for the trip to Shenyang.
                  I am impressed with the in-depth knowledge a lot of you guys have regarding this era. Obviously, I am grateful that you're sharing; I am trying to suck it all in.
                  So it was definitely a 4-4-2 formation in China?
                  The 35 mins or so which I have from the home game against Bangladesh, the formation to me appeared, quite clearly, to be 4-3-3, but of course, that was against much inferior opposition, and it was a home tie, a must-win game. It made perfect sense to switch to 4-4-2 for a difficult away tie, especially when your back four is completely new in comparison to previously in the qualification.
                  Another question: Why hadn't Pious been featuring under Vatankhah? I am aware he played in Qatar, though that didn't automatically rule him out? Was it so that his club there had refused him to join up with the national team while they were still in season? He returned for the home game against Thailand, but that was already at the end of May, so perhaps the Qatari league season had already finished, and they didn't mind to let him go. It happened quite frequently, at least in Europe, at that time that clubs didn't allow their player(s) to travel for international assignments if they had a club fixture coming up.
                  Five players total were suspended although the three you mentioned were starters. The other two were Nader Mohammadkhani and Ashouri if I remember correctly.
                  There was no rule not to bring in foreign based players. It was more of an unwritten rule which is why Pious was invited by Monajati when it became crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                    The whole damn thing. It might be nostalgia, but the colors, sounds, the players.... the quality of the knockout stage was to me unrivalled to today. Argentina - England, Brazil - Holland, Holland - Argentina, Croatia - France..

Not to mention Iran was back in the World Cup after 20 years.
                    Of course, that latter fact must have been quite significant. I do remember what I myself was like back in '94, when Norway were competing in a World Cup for the first time in several generations. And for sure - those knock-out stage fixtures were quite special.

The final was a pretty dull affair, though, to say the least (not that it wasn't in '90, mind!), and it kind of added a sour after-taste to the whole tournament for me. But of course, if I had let the final itself make up the criteria for which World Cup I like and which I don't, then I'd never have stuck with Italia '90, so it is not a valid criteria.

Comment

Those of you with such an advanced level of knowledge from this era 32 years ago: How do you remember this all so detailed? Have you read various articles about the '90 qualification through the years, and thus obtained the knowledge? Or do these memories linger so vividly that it is something which can never be forgotten? Do videos from these matches exist in full somewhere? I am well aware of the Youtube clips, and I have managed to obtain those copies from the home games against Bangladesh and China (as previously mentioned), although these are only 35-50 mins résumés. It would've been something else to be able to watch these in their entirety.

Comment

Those of you with such an advanced level of knowledge from this era 32 years ago: How do you remember this all so detailed?
                        Have you read various articles about the '90 qualification through the years, and thus obtained the knowledge? Or do these memories
                        linger so vividly that it is something which can never be forgotten? Do videos from these matches exist in full somewhere? I am well
                        aware of the Youtube clips, and I have managed to obtain those copies from the home games against Bangladesh and China (as previously
                        mentioned), although these are only 35-50 mins résumés. It would've been something else to be able to watch these in full.
                        For me it's mainly from memory.

Comment

I found the interview. They were interviewing Moharrami.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irna.ir/amp/83774103/

حاشیه ایی هم برای شما و سیروس قایقران درست شد ماجرای آن چه بود؟

یک عکسی از من و سیروس قایقران خدابیامرز و مهدی مناجاتی چاپ شد، آن عکس را بروید ببینید، بطری آب وسط ما بود اما بدترین حرف ها را برای ما درست کردند. مناجاتی سرهنگ نیروی انتظامی بود و و کسی جرات داشت در کنار او کار غیر اخلاقی انجام دهد.

Comment

Here is another about the picture. I'd love to actually see the picture in question.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ent...mp/news/103565

یک عکسی بود که من کنار آقا مهدی مناجاتی سر میز نهار نشستیم. بعد شایعه کردند من سر ظهر تو اردوی تیم ملی مست کردم. آخر یک کمی انصاف یا عقل هم اگر می داشتند این حرف را نمی زدند. مگر می شود کنار دست آقا مهدی مناجاتی که خودش از این نظامی های سخت گیر است چنین کاری کرد؟ یا می گفتند در اردوی تیم علی پروین رفتم تو فرودگاه خلاف کردم. بابا به قرآن این چیزها دیگر دروغ بودند. خیلی از کارهایی که درباره ام می گفتند را نکرده بودم. من تو زندگی خلاف زیاد کردم و از کارهایی که کردم هم پشیمانم. این هم حال و روزم است که می بینی. ولی خیلی از دروغ هایی که درباره ام گفته اند را انجام ندادم .

Comment

Thank you for posting the links. I am sure those who haven't already read those interviews will enjoy them.
                              Alas, when I translate a lot of it becomes very cryptic, and although I am able to understand partially, there is a lot which simply doesn't make any sense. However, I do understand how Moharrami has lived a pretty rough life - did he say he's been drinking since he was 27? And was it so that Monajati was working in the police force with a relatively high rank?

Comment

Thank you for posting the links. I am sure those who haven't already read those interviews will enjoy them.
                                Alas, when I translate a lot of it becomes very cryptic, and although I am able to understand partially, there is a lot which simply doesn't make any sense. However, I do understand how Moharrami has lived a pretty rough life - did he say he's been drinking since he was 27? And was it so that Monajati was working in the police force with a relatively high rank?
                                It's not that he was working in the police force. Moharrami is just saying that when you worked under Monajati it was like police surveillance and that and that he was very strict and impossible for someone to sneak in a drink.

Comment

Working...
                                X