1990 World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rooyintan View Post
    That team was really good, pity they did not have several star players of the time.

I have good memories of that team, they will always hold special place in my heart. The first Team Melli I watched for World Cup Qualification.

I remember my classmates at the time were saying "If Zarincheh's cross meets Karim Bavi's head will likely be a goal"

It is so sad that I never saw Bavi in Team Melli after those WCQ
    You might be thinking of the 1990 qualifiers. Bavi was a fixed player then but by 1993 he was no longer part of the team.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
      I just checked the magazines I had from that period. Although the incident happens as you describe it but Gholampour was the keeper in the first match which was against a harder opponent (Oman). It appears even before Abedzadeh's injury Gholampour was the preferred keeper. In the ECO Cup right before the qualifiers each of them got 2 matches.
      I'm pretty certain that Abedzadeh was the number 1 goalkeeper and Ghoalmpour as back up. Do you have magazine report regarding the second round in Doha?

Comment

Iran and played a friendly match against Iraq in 1989 (after the qualifiers). Video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO8R9EhwkvM

Comment

Originally posted by Ararat Tehran View Post
          Iran and played a friendly match against Iraq in 1989 (after the qualifiers). Video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO8R9EhwkvM
          I remember this game well. It was in the Peace and Friendship Cup where we finished 4th. They delayed showing the broadcast until after the game was over presumably to censor any NSFW scenes and yet during the broadcast they kept insisting it was live even though we had listened to the whole broadcast on the radio. The funny part was that in spite of the insistence that it was live, they skipped the half time interval and went straight to the second half and the commentator was left speechless as to how to explain it.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ararat Tehran View Post
            I'm pretty certain that Abedzadeh was the number 1 goalkeeper and Ghoalmpour as back up. Do you have magazine report regarding the second round in Doha?
            Not magazines but I have a few of the hafteh namehs that were like a sports newspaper.
            There may have been some personal issues Parvin had with Abedzadeh. When he first took over he was keen on getting rid of him and didn't call him up for any of the friendlies during dahehy fajr and instead played Gholmpour, Azizian and even Ghilich. He later explicitly said "be Azizian nazar daram" but I think was forced to bring Abedzadeh back for the Asian Games as no other keeper stood up to the challenge.

Comment

You might be thinking of the 1990 qualifiers. Bavi was a fixed player then but by 1993 he was no longer part of the team.
              Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Bavi vanished after the 1990 qualifiers.

Comment

I remember this game well. It was in the Peace and Friendship Cup where we finished 4th. They delayed showing the broadcast until after the game was over presumably to censor any NSFW scenes and yet during the broadcast they kept insisting it was live even though we had listened to the whole broadcast on the radio. The funny part was that in spite of the insistence that it was live, they skipped the half time interval and went straight to the second half and the commentator was left speechless as to how to explain it.
                I remember watching that match. It was a big deal. Right after the war. I remember Panjali captain of Iran and Iraqi captain greeted each other kissed and hugged before the kickoff

I do not recall anything about the skipped HT interval. I missed Iran-Uganda as I had to study for exams that one went to penalties something like 9-8 Iran lost, was it Zarincheh who missed a penalty?

Comment

I remember watching that match. It was a big deal. Right after the war. I remember Panjali captain of Iran and Iraqi captain greeted each other kissed and hugged before the kickoff

I do not recall anything about the skipped HT interval. I missed Iran-Uganda as I had to study for exams that one went to penalties something like 9-8 Iran lost, was it Zarincheh who missed a penalty?
                  I don't think you missed Iran-Uganda on TV, they simply didn't show it. I listened to it live on the radio. I believe it was Zarrincheh whose shot hit the post.
                  I remember the missing half time against arogh as when it went straight to the 2nd half one of the guys we were watching the game with sarcastically said "pakhsh'e zendeh 15 daghigheh parid!"

Comment

I don't think you missed Iran-Uganda on TV, they simply didn't show it. I listened to it live on the radio. I believe it was Zarrincheh whose shot hit the post.
                    I remember the missing half time against arogh as when it went straight to the 2nd half one of the guys we were watching the game with sarcastically said "pakhsh'e zendeh 15 daghigheh parid!"
                    Iran Uganda was televised. I remember I was studying for exams and really felt guilty not watching! Then on news heard Iran lost in penalties I was shocked. Kuwait vs Iran 1:0 for 3rd place was controversial, I can't remember if I watched that or not. Group matches I watched all 3 vs Iraq, Guinea, South Yemen.

Comment

Iran Uganda was televised. I remember I was studying for exams and really felt guilty not watching! Then on news heard Iran lost in penalties I was shocked. Kuwait vs Iran 1:0 for 3rd place was controversial, I can't remember if I watched that or not. Group matches I watched all 3 vs Iraq, Guinea, South Yemen.
                      I'm almost positive it wasn't as I was home and could have watched it if it was but instead listened to it on the radio. The only other explanation I can think of was that we had just moved into a new home and something happened to our TV where we had to send it out for repairs. Actually now that I think about it I watched the other 4 games each at someone else's house so perhaps it was really our TV.

Comment

I remember that 3-2 game with China back in 1989. We were watching it on TV with some family members in Tehran. All were excited early on. It was a question of goal difference at the end, and a big disappointment.
                        sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

I just checked the magazines I had from that period. Although the incident happens as you describe it but Gholampour was the keeper in the first match which was against a harder opponent (Oman). It appears even before Abedzadeh's injury Gholampour was the preferred keeper. In the ECO Cup right before the qualifiers each of them got 2 matches.
                          Watch the following clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToaMy7cDKEA

Comment

1990 campaign from 19.29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIUA09XqaIo

Comment

1990 World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Good old days, those were the days

most guys in the forum were still bananas on the trees
                              چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
                                I remember that 3-2 game with China back in 1989. We were watching it on TV with some family members in Tehran. All were excited early on. It was a question of goal difference at the end, and a big disappointment.
                                That was some game, I watched it live on TV. 3-0 ahead then Chinese scored two goals late in the game I was so sad but I remember back in 1998 I was looking at the 1990 WCQ and realised even if Team Melli won 3:0 still China would go ahead because still their goal-diff was better.

Comment

Working...
                                X