RIP Ghayeghran (1962-1998)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Ghayeghran (1962-1998)

Twenty years ago today we lost a humble playmaker and captain in addition to his son during a traffic accident. Rest in peace.

The late Sirous Ghayeghran was one of the most complete soccer players our country has ever produced. An inspirational captain for both club and national team, Sirous, commonly known as Sia Sia by the Anzali locals, controlled the midfield, blasted long range shots at goal, threaded pinpoint passes for forwards, crossed from both sides, encouraged his teammates, hustled, tackled, saved children from burning buildings….sorry got carried away. He started his career with Esteghlal of Anzali and then Malavan, before he got lured to Tehran by Keshavarz. Ghayeghran certainly had his ups and downs with the IFF, but his ups clearly outweighed his downs. Our national team suffered a major setback as a result of his absence from our crucial game against China due to an IFF suspension (allegedly for going out for a drink while in the Soviet Union) and part of the reason for our elimination in the first round of the 1990 World Cup qualifiers could be attributed to the apparent lack of a midfield maestro.

He was originally penciled in as one of the many players that resigned from the national team after the 1986 Asian Games in protest to the management of the team, however, Sirous later reversed his decision and would go on to captain the team of young newcomers.

Sirous achieved many honors during his soccer career, but there are a few that stand out more than others. After the mass exodus of our established players and the emergence of young and inexperienced players such as Abedzadeh, Zarrincheh and Namjoo Motlagh, Sirous took charge and became the gel that kept the individuals together as a unit. He masterfully captained the team during the 1988 Asian Championship to a bronze medal. It was during the ill fated game against South Korea, a 3-0 loss, that Ghayeghran emerged as one of the few bright spots demonstrating his thunderous long range shots, forcing the Korean keeper into 3 acrobatic saves. It was only fitting for Iran to end the tournament with Ghayeghran’s perfectly placed spot kick to give us the win on PKs.

Taking away the captaincy is a major blow to any soccer player, yet in early 1990 when Parvin brought Panjali back to the national team, Sirous made no Klinsmann-Matthueus-ish fuss and accepted his new role. He played a major role in our march to Asian Gold in 1990 and avenged our 1988 loss to the Koreans. In the semifinals in overtime a perfectly timed run and chip of the Korean keeper enabled Sirous to get the only goal of the game. Once again he took part in the deciding PKs and scored one of our 4 goals in our shootout victory over North Korea in the final.

But perhaps Sirous’s greatest accomplishment in my mind was not at the international level, but rather at the club level with Malavan in 1990. During the 1990 National Championship Malavan faced Persepolis in the semifinal round. The return leg in Tehran had ended 2-1 in favor of Persepolis, thus a 1-0 victory would have been sufficient for Malavan to advance. Early in the 1st half Malavan earned a freekick that was clearly in Sirous’s territory. The calm and collected run-up towards the ball and the placement in the upper corner of the goal beyond Ghilich’s outstretched hand was pure magic. The one goal lead would have been enough for Malavan but not Ghayeghran. Ten minutes later the Malavan and Persepolis players tangled outside the box for a loose ball that ended up bouncing ahead of Ghayeghran. He charged at it and fired it one touch with one of his trademark thunderous shots that once again ended up in the back of the net (see below). Malavan would win the match 2-0 and advance to the final against Esteghlal, a game Malavan would win in a shootout where once again Sirous emerged as a winner on PKs by converting his team’s first kick after a 0-0 draw. However going back to the semifinal, after the game Sirous truly showed his class and humility. When asked how he managed to nail those picture perfect long range shots, rather then boast about his skills or bash his opponent’s weaknesses, he simply shrugged, smiled and said, “it was luck.” (شانسی بود).

A true humble gentleman and leader on the field, we can never have a true history of our soccer without the mention of Sirous Ghayeghran. May he rest in peace.

I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

http://www.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13970115001380

به گزارش خبرگزاری فارس، انگار شنیدن خبر مرگ عزیزان در جاده*ها در ابتدای سال نو و همزمان با سفرهای عید نوروز تبدیل به یکی از رسم*های تلخ و گزنده ما ایرانی*ها شده است! هر ساله یکی از هولناک*ترین اخباری که همزمان با عید نوروز می شنویم آمار تصادفات و کشته*شدگان در جاده*ها به خاطر سفرهای نوروزی است. 20 سال پیش در 18 فروردین 1377 هم در همین جاده هراز و در منطقه امامزاده هاشم رنوی کاپیتان اسبق تیم ملی و ملوان بندرانزلی با یک کامیون تصادف کرد تا سیروس قایقران به همراه پسر خردسالش «راستین» جان به جان آفرین تسلیم کنند.

سیروس قایقران هم برای تعطیلات نوروزی به سفر رفته بود که تصادف کرد! لعنت به جاده*ها اگر معنایشان جدایی است! قایقران اسطوره فوتبال ملوان و استان گیلان است که توانست بازوبند کاپیتانی تیم ملی را هم در زمان سرمربیگری پرویز دهداری مربی اخلاق فوتبال ایران به دست آورد. قایقران یکی از برترین فوتبالیست*های زمان خودش بود. بازیکنی با معرفت که از روستای کولیور انزلی در تاریخ اول بهمن 1340 چشم به دنیا گشود و پس از آن به فوتبال ایران و آسیا معرفی شد. روستا*زاده*ای که تا دم مرگ حرف و عملش یکی بود. احمدرضا عابدزاده دروازه*بان افسانه*ای فوتبال ایران و آسیا همواره سعی می*کند در زمان سالگرد سیروس قایقران همبازی سابقش خود را بر سرمزار سیروس قایقران در این روستا برساند. سنگ مزار سیروس قایقران تنها جایی است که احمدرضا با آن عکس یادگاری می*گیرد زیرا سیروس بدون تعارف و اغراق قایقران « راستین» فوتبال ایران بود.

پدر سیروس هنوز زنده است و همسرش هم بعد از مرگ سیروس دیگر ازدواج نکرد و همواره عزادار سیروس قایقران باقی ماند. 18 فروردین 97 مرگ این اسطوره فوتبال گیلان 20 ساله می*شود و انزلی*چی*ها مثل همیشه برای او و پسرش راستین یادواره و سالگرد می*گیرند. البته امسال به دلیل اینکه 18 فروردین شنبه است، می*خواهند مراسم بیستمین سالگرد قایقران را روز پنجشنبه( امروز) بگیرند. قطعا بازهم شاهد حضور چهره*های مطرح فوتبال کشور بر سر مزار و مراسم یادواره سیروس و راستین قایقران خواهیم بود.

بعد از 20 سال هنوز هم یاد سیروس قایقران برای انزلی*چی*ها تازه است و برای یک فوتبالیست در ملوان بندرانزلی افتخاری بزرگتر از این نیست که با قایقران مقایسه شود.

روحش شاد و یادش گرامی...
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

RIP

What a fantastic player he was!!!

Comment

He was Shomali too. Surprised no one made a thread about this yesterday. RIP was such a legend.

Comment

RIP I had the chance to see one game he played, it looked like a man was playing with a bunch of children! he was such a remarkable player.
          sigpic

Comment

Was thinking about Sirous today, my all time favorite Iranian player, maybe because i have met him many times, i don't know.
            Amazing person on and off the field.
            Khoub haa hamishe zood miran.
            R.I.P Captain.
            btw, thanks Ken for such a thread, how i missed it?!!!!....

Comment

Yesterday some people were quizzing my son on his Iranian soccer knowlege with most of the questions being about the current team. I told them he also knows about our history. The first older player they asked to see if he knew was Sirous. He did including the cause of death.

Comment

روحت شاد قهرمان.

Comment

سیروس روحت شاد

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                    [RIGHT][SIZE=5]
                    Had not seen this before. Where is this exactly?!! I'm assuming Bandar Anzali but where?

Comment

Thanks for the beautiful pictures Ramin Jan.
                      Rouhesh shad, a true legend on and off the field.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Roohe khodesh va pesaresh shad o yadeshoon gerami.
                        Last edited by Nokhodi; 04-06-2020, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                          Had not seen this before. Where is this exactly?!! I'm assuming Bandar Anzali but where?
                          It's in Bandar Anzali. I'm not sure of the exact location. It says in بولوار ساحلی بندر انزلی.

Also last September someone already broke the statue.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                            Also last September someone already broke the statue.
                            disgusting
                            #WilmotsOUT

Comment

Originally posted by Bladsville View Post
                              disgusting
                              Wow! How truly sad. What a piece of shit one has to be to damage a statue of a football player who represented each and every one of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X