A Significant Historical TM Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
    Other than Abedzadeh and Eski none of yours deserve to be In this thread.....maybe Parvin too but that’s about it. Having anyone from the dark ages of the 80s and early 90s where we couldn’t even make it to the final phase of qualifying is all that needs to be said to eliminate anyone from that era from being in the convo. 70s and late 90s/mid 2000s is where our legends come from
    Well obviously those PFDC members who voted in the polls listed in the first post of the thread disagree with you. With your post above you are also contradicting yourself when you spoke about this exact poll and the vote you cast:

Pious is the only one I voted for from the 80s due to his goal to game ratio which is really impressive (even though it was our dark era) and I’ve seen lots of his tapes he was great.
    Also look at the criteria that was stated in the thread (links in the first post of this thread) for each position on the field which eliminates anyone from late 90s/mid 2000s.
    You are mentioning Eski which if I am not mistaken you know personally from his store. That kinda tells me your opinion is biased. Other than yourself I doubt the approximately 30 PFDC members who voted personally know any of the players they voted for.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
      Well obviously those PFDC members who voted in the polls listed in the first post of the thread disagree with you. With your post above you are also contradicting yourself when you spoke about this exact poll and the vote you cast:

Also look at the criteria that was stated in the thread (links in the first post of this thread) for each position on the field which eliminates anyone from late 90s/mid 2000s.
      You are mentioning Eski which if I am not mistaken you know personally from his store. That kinda tells me your opinion is biased. Other than yourself I doubt the approximately 30 PFDC members who voted personally know any of the players they voted for.
      Why are you bringing up bias if that’s one player it looks like we can agree on? Sure you could argue my bias towards Eski being I haven’t seen a lot of him but for me he gets it on merit of being successful in TM in a position not many others have been impressive in and knowing his accomplishments. And yes pious is one of the few exceptions there is to my statement but he doesn’t make the cut over other greats that came after him but since you said the criteria doesn’t include late 90s/mid 2000s then he deserves it
      Team Meli Iran
      Perspolis FC
      Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Why are you bringing up bias if that’s one player it looks like we can agree on? Sure you could argue my bias towards Eski being I haven’t seen a lot of him but for me he gets it on merit of being successful in TM in a position not many others have been impressive in and knowing his accomplishments. And yes pious is one of the few exceptions there is to my statement but he doesn’t make the cut over other greats that came after him but since you said the criteria doesn’t include late 90s/mid 2000s then he deserves it
        I'm not disagreeing with your selection. I'm just saying that since you know him then maybe that's why you mentioned him and if that's the case then maybe you aren't mentioning others since you don't know them. It's good that you know Eski's accomplishments and career but do you know that of the other players in this thread to justify your vote (or lack thereof) for them? The whole point of creating this thread and the ones preceding it was to get PFDC members to hopefully research our other great players of the past and not assume our soccer started in Melbourne. I'm sure you will agree that if the poll was open to players of any time then only recent players would be getting votes simply due to lack of knowledge regarding the old timers. I personally have never seen (live) any players pre mid 80s and yet I learned about them by reading about them and watching videos of them. They shouldn't be brushed to the side simply because we weren't there when they were around.
        Without ever having seen him play (live) I can confidently state that in my opinion Ghelichkhani is the best player we have ever produced. Perhaps older PFDC members who were around then and now can give their opinion on that.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Other than Abedzadeh and Eski none of yours deserve to be In this thread.....maybe Parvin too but that’s about it. Having anyone from the dark ages of the 80s and early 90s where we couldn’t even make it to the final phase of qualifying is all that needs to be said to eliminate anyone from that era from being in the convo. 70s and late 90s/mid 2000s is where our legends come from
          That is very unfair comparison. You do know that the generation of 80s never had the chance to try to get to the final phase of qualifying as Iran boycotted all the world cups of the 1980s? They lived in the times of war and post-revolution when football was not given the slightest of care and attention by the people in charge. The likes of Mohamadkhani, Ghayeghran, Alidousti, Moharami, Panjali etc were talent-wise nothing short of 90s and 2000s generation.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
            That is very unfair comparison. You do know that the generation of 80s never had the chance to try to get to the final phase of qualifying as Iran boycotted all the world cups of the 1980s? They lived in the times of war and post-revolution when football was not given the slightest of care and attention by the people in charge. The likes of Mohamadkhani, Ghayeghran, Alidousti, Moharami, Panjali etc were talent-wise nothing short of 90s and 2000s generation.
            To me Moharrami is the best left back we have ever had regarding his play and not considering his disciplinary record. I rank Mohammadkhani higher than Azmoun. Ghayeghran and Alidoosti are up there with the best although to me not the very top. Panjali was too slow to be an all time great.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with your selection. I'm just saying that since you know him then maybe that's why you mentioned him and if that's the case then maybe you aren't mentioning others since you don't know them. It's good that you know Eski's accomplishments and career but do you know that of the other players in this thread to justify your vote (or lack thereof) for them? The whole point of creating this thread and the ones preceding it was to get PFDC members to hopefully research our other great players of the past and not assume our soccer started in Melbourne. I'm sure you will agree that if the poll was open to players of any time then only recent players would be getting votes simply due to lack of knowledge regarding the old timers. I personally have never seen (live) any players pre mid 80s and yet I learned about them by reading about them and watching videos of them. They shouldn't be brushed to the side simply because we weren't there when they were around.
              Without ever having seen him play (live) I can confidently state that in my opinion Ghelichkhani is the best player we have ever produced. Perhaps older PFDC members who were around then and now can give their opinion on that.
              Fair points all around I agree - I think I’ve done my fair share of research on pre Melbourne TM players and I just don’t see anyone who was a part of a team that was able to accomplish much. Sure circumstances were rough in the 80s and early 90s I’m not ignorant to that and I know good players were produced but again when judging players, for me, I rate them based on what they are able to accomplish.

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
              Boycotted the WC? 1990 WCQs Iran finished second behind China in the first round of qualifiers and in 94 we finished second to last place. Those are two of the worst results in qualifying we’ve ever had. Again I’m not ignorant to what the state of the country was at the time but fact is results sucked of course had the circumstances been different more could have been achieved with talented players like the ones you mentioned but we will never know.
              Team Meli Iran
              Perspolis FC
              Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Fair points all around I agree - I think I’ve done my fair share of research on pre Melbourne TM players and I just don’t see anyone who was a part of a team that was able to accomplish much. Sure circumstances were rough in the 80s and early 90s I’m not ignorant to that and I know good players were produced but again when judging players, for me, I rate them based on what they are able to accomplish.

Boycotted the WC? 1990 WCQs Iran finished second behind China in the first round of qualifiers and in 94 we finished second to last place. Those are two of the worst results in qualifying we’ve ever had. Again I’m not ignorant to what the state of the country was at the time but fact is results sucked of course had the circumstances been different more could have been achieved with talented players like the ones you mentioned but we will never know.
                I said we boycotted all the world cups in the 1980s as you mentioned that decade. Please read my post again. This doesn't contradict your post.

Comment

Well we are talking about the players not the team. George Weah accomplished nothing with Liberia but it would be inaccurate not to call him a significant player in Liberia's soccer history.
                  Regarding the 1990 qualifiers the blame is solely on the IFF. We had 3 coaches during the process and three days before the crucial series against China the IFF suspended 5 players including Ghayeghran, Moharrami and Fonoonizadeh. You can hardly blame the individual players for that debacle.

Comment

It all depends on the age group of people who voted. The vast majority of members here were not born prior to 80ies so they could possibly not judge the calibres of Ghilichkhani, Parvin, Arab, Kalani, Hejazi, Roshan.
                    To people from my generation for example Hejazi was the best Iranian goalie followed by Abedzadeh. And saying Roshan was the best forward sounds like a crime to some members who first watched TM in 1998.
                    But overall I am happy with the vast majority of the votes.
                    If you for example ask me who in my opinion is the greatest Iranian player overall, I would say I can’t decide between Parviz GhilichKhani and Ali Parvin.

I believe whenever we have these polls we really must “honorary mention” the great 80ies players who had not been given the chance to shine, the likes of Namjoo Motlagh, Panjali, Bayani brothers, Moharami, Derakhshan, Ghayeghran, both unrelated MohammadKhanis (Nasser and Nader), Farshad Pious were some of the most technically talented and physically strong we ever had. Mayeli Kohan as a player for example was one of the most gheyrati and hardworking players among with the aforementioned names! They deserve always an “honory mention” in my books.
                    Last edited by Adesor Vafaseya; 02-22-2020, 05:55 PM.
                    CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
                      It all depends on the age group of people who voted. The vast majority of members here were not born prior to 80ies so they could possibly not judge the calibres of Ghilichkhani, Parvin, Arab, Kalani, Hejazi, Roshan.
                      To people from my generation for example Hejazi was the best Iranian goalie followed by Abedzadeh. And saying Roshan was the best forward sounds like a crime to some members who first watched TM in 1998.
                      But overall I am happy with the vast majority of the votes.
                      If you for example ask me who in my opinion is the greatest Iranian player overall, I would say I can’t decide between Parviz GhilichKhani and Ali Parvin.
                      I believe whenever we have these polls we really must “honorary mention” the great 80ies players who had not been given the chance to shine, the likes of Namjoo Motlagh, Panjali, Bayani brothers, Moharami, Derakhshan, Ghayeghran, both unrelated MohammadKhanis (Nasser and Nader), Farshad Pious were some of the most technically talented and physically strong we ever had. Mayeli Kohan as a player for example was one of the most gheyrati and hardworking players among with the aforementioned names! They deserve always an “honory mention” in my books.
                      Parvin was definitely good but I think some of the credit he gets is due to keeping his name in the game after retirement through coaching.

Comment

Parvin was definitely good but I think some of the credit he gets is due to keeping his name in the game after retirement through coaching.
                        With younger generation maybe. But during WCQ78 he and Roshan made all the difference in our offense. And in 1976 (the height of our football according to Heshmat Mohajerani) both in Olympics and Asian Cup the duo Ghilichkhani and Parvin again made all the difference.
                        But well football is a team sport and its difficult to single out a player, the whole team makes the difference. We really had Asias best team in the 70ies and was it not for the revolution and Iraq war we would have dominated the 80ies too with all the talents we had including participating in one or two WCs at that time.
                        Oh well, again “if and ifs”.
                        CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

I just stumbled upon a similar selection by an Iranian publication. Their 12 person 3-4-4 lineup was as follows:

Hejazi
                          Habibi, Talebi, Panjali,
                          Ghelichkhani, Parvin,Namjoo-Motlagh, Jabbari
                          Boroumand, Roshan, Mazloomi, Behzadi

IhySlsc.png

Comment

Abedzadeh
                            Kia. Seyed Jalal moharami
                            Dejageh Parvin. Bagheri. Karimi
                            Mamadkhani. daie. Taremi

3-4-3

Comment

Here are the links to the other threads regarding our past players:

Goalkeepers: http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...in-our-History
                              Defenders: http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...in-our-History
                              Midfielders: http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...in-our-History
                              Forwards: http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...in-our-History

I still believe the results are somewhat biased towards newer players or those that made more of a name even if it wasn't completely due to their soccer activities. Clearly if one has not heard of a player they would not be familiar with them and thus not vote for them. But with that being said, here is the 4-4-2 lineup we would have if our opinions on our past players are any indication of their significance.

Abedzadeh
                              Eskandarian, Shahrokhi, Arab, Zarrincheh
                              Ghelichkhani, Parvin, Ghayeghran, Danaeifard
                              Roshan, Pious

I knew Abedzadeh would win before a single vote was cast as probably most PFDC members only know Hejazi by name and have not even heard of the rest.
                              I'm surprised about Eskandarian because although I thought he was very good but I did not expect him to receive the most votes and I think it's somewhat of a name recognition that earned him the votes. As far as outside backs I personally rank Moharrami higher than Zarrincheh as he was excellent in defense and just as good coming up and helping offense (and scoring goals). Perhaps his temper cost him some votes. Or perhaps Zarrincheh's presence in the 1998 World Cup earned him some.
                              In midfield Ghelichkhani is definitely an expected choice. Parvin while good but isn't as far ahead of others (if at all) than the results show and it's perhaps somewhat influenced by his reputation and constant involvement in soccer after his playing days. There may or may not be the closer time frame and sympathy factor due to his death regarding Ghayeghran's inclusion.
                              Roshan and Pious are the top vote getters up front although there are many forwards that were just as good if not better. I suppose the best measure for a forward is the number of goals he scores and all of the mentioned ones definitely excel in that category.

While we all probably have our own opinion about who should have won each of these polls, what they demonstrate is what a deep pool of players we have had in our history. Hopefully we will learn more about them and as the years pass they will not be forgotten. I personally learned about other players that I had omitted by older members who informed me about them.

Love the real Iranian flag on their chest, soon again ❤️⚽️🙏

Comment

Is this the best TM Players of all time ? I dont know the old players but Ali Karimi,Bagheri and some others were not as good as those ?

Comment

Working...
                                X