This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Medzdidz View Post
    Sorry if this has already been reported in here but just found out that the Glentoran owner is ‘British-Iranian’ and his name is Ali Pour.
    And their head coach is former TM fitness coach Mick McDermott!
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
      Is their league better than IPL?
      It is a very low quality league but they get places in Europa League and Champs League qualifiers. Although I have never seen a northern Irish team qualify , I remember a few years back Shamrock Rovers made it to Europa league group phrase (team from Republic of Ireland league).
      Fan base is very loyal though and there isn’t much money in signings. I saw an article talking about two big money signings and they were 60k each.

Comment

A recent interview with Navid. He mentions how he was on trial with RKC Waalwijk last year which fell through after they promoted to the Eredivisie:

"Team Talks: Navid Nasseri

With everyone away from the Oval for an undetermined period, we have decided to bring Glentoran supporters some of the most compelling content from the multi award winning Glentoran Gazette. We hope you will enjoy the stories and player interviews we bring and that it will encourage you to buy a Gazette at our home matches when football returns. Many thanks to the Glentoran Supporters Committee (1923) for use of this material. The "Team Talks" series will consist of interviews with current squad members with John Grayden this season.

Navid Nasseri
        interview with John Grayden

After an hour in a city centre café talking over life in Belfast, his career, professional football and the high attrition rate in the game, Navid Nasseri texted new housemate, Jonny Frazer, for a lift to their south Belfast home. A typical act of a young man coming to terms with life in a different city.

Like other newcomers to the Oval dressing room he has already seen the highs and lows of football and knows a few well-known names in the game.

From playing five a sides as a teenager in the cages at the Manchester United academy against the likes of Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard – “They were a great place to learn skills” - to cleaning boots and sweeping out the dressing rooms at Bury with 16 other scholars, all of whom have drifted out of the game. “I still keep in touch with four of the boys but I’m the only one still playing,” Navid said.

Another lift in a different place – shortly after he had signed his first professional contract at Birmingham City – revealed the other side of the coin. “The club had put me up in a local hotel and in the mornings Demarai Gray would pick me up for training in his black Peugot 206.

“Everyone was talking about him making the big time at that stage but he’s a Brummie and didn’t want to move away from the area. In the end he moved to Leicester and as we know Claudio Ranieri turned the club upside down and won the Premiership.

“Within six months Demarai had swapped his little Peugot for a BMW AI and a Lamborghini Hurracan. Things have turned out okay for him,” Navid said with a smile.

The midfielder-cum-winger from Wilmslow in Cheshire was at the United academy until his mid-teens alongside boys like James Wilson, now at Aberdeen and Josh Harrop, currently plying his trade at Preston, before a three-year stint at Bury as a scholar

“It was the biggest learning curve I’ve had in football,” Navid said. “It was old school; we had to clean the boots and the dressing rooms and so on.

“It was long hours and I spent a lot of time with 16 boys – more time than I spent with my family - and we experienced life on and off the pitch, fights and all. But even then the club was unstable. I had five managers in my time there - Ritchie Barker, Peter Shirtliff, Kevin Blackwell, Ronnie Jepson and David Flitcroft.

During his time there he was living at home with Dad, Nasser, now aged 59, Mum Lily and younger sister Noor who is now studying psychology and currently based in the United States. Nasser had come to Britain after the Iranian revolution overthrew the Shah and didn’t meet his wife until she arrived in the UK years later.

At the end of his apprenticeship he was picked up by Birmingham. “I signed a deal there under Lee Clark and Steven Watson at a time when the club had a reputation for bringing young talent through. I got off to a flier and was training with the first team every day.

“However Lee got sacked, Gary Rowett came in and he only wanted to play experienced players. I didn’t get to play a first team game. Rowett didn’t want to spend time developing young players. He only played Demarai because he was already in the first team,” Navid added. “Ironically, the club are now giving youngsters a chance again so who knows what would have happened had I stayed.”

Stints at Macclesfield and Syrianska in Sweden followed before shipping up at Gillingham in May 2017, a move that was to end unhappily last January.

The Iranian under 21 international is pleased to be back in a happy dressing room at the Glens. “Everyone is getting on together and they’ve helped me settle,” he said.

Again it could have been different for the 23-year-old had a trial at RKC Waalwijk in Holland worked out. “I went there for two weeks at the end of last season but the club won the play-off to get into the Eredivisie so the manager opted to play safe and fill his side with guys who had experience of Holland’s top tier,” Navid added.

Now that he is here he’s determined to make an impact. “I’m here to get games, get as fit and sharp as possible and to contribute to the dressing room in any way I can. I hope I can bring a certain amount of the professionalism that’s been instilled in me to the club.

“Eventually I would like to get back into the full time game across the water but whether I’m here for six months or a couple of years I want to give as much as I can.

“Eighty per cent of this game is about mentality. You can have all the talent in the world but in the end hard work trumps a lot of things,” he said.

The biggest difficulty he has encountered here has been adjusting to the different training pattern needed because of the mix of full-time and part-time players.

“I’ve been used to training during the mornings and I prefer that. “Here I’m training three nights a week and two mornings so I have had to adjust the times I can eat and have to be careful about late nights.”

On the standard of play he reckons the top five or six clubs here would be highly competitive in League Two in England and while Linfield and Crusaders could possibly operate in the lower reaches of League One they wouldn’t match the big clubs in the division.

“While at Gillingham last season we went up to Barnsley and drew 1-1 but I’m still wondering how we did it. We got battered from start to finish, the way they moved the ball around at speed was incredible,” Navid added."

https://www.glentoran.com/news/team-talks-navid-nasseri

Comment

Good read , just shows the low percentage of players that actually make it in the game, even at a lower level. Sounds as if he had a good thing going at Birmingham City and the change in manager ruined that for him , what he says is right. The Blues were bringing in good young players and selling them on, mainly due to the money problems that they had at the time and they made some good money selling on players like Gray and Nathan Redmond. They have reverted back to that model again, Jude Bellingham is from the same town that I live in and he looks like he will be some player.

Comment

"Linfield eye sensational swoop for Glentoran duo ahead of transfer market opening

Linfield are tracking Glentoran duo Conor Pepper and Navid Nasseri as David Healy aims to boost his squad ahead of Champions League participation next month.

The Blues will play San Marino kingpins Tre Fiori behind closed doors on August 8 in a Euro schedule that has been revamped due to Covid-19 and Healy is determined to bring new faces to the club.

The transfer window opens on August 1 and the recently crowned Champions want to unveil three or four new players next weekend.

Chris Johns is one, having signed a pre-contract deal to join Linfield when the current season ends on Friday night.

The Blues are in the market for a right-back and creative midfielder following the departure of Chris Casement and Joel Cooper - and Pepper and Nasseri are firmly in their sights."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-39397717.html

Comment

thanks for the updates and info guys...!!
              kid looks a tidy little player/finisher from the little bit of vids i see in this thread..!!
              best wishes to our young homie ....!! i hope he catches a little career break and gets to display his talent in front of a larger and more important audience... this Linfield link could well be it..!!?

but if i didnt know any better, it seems as the iranian connections at his current club trying to tarrof and bs him into making a fooli$h extension..!!?

Comment

Navid joins Northern Irish Premier league winners Linfield FC after winning the Irish Cup with Glentoran yesterday:

"Navid Nasseri: 'We gave the player a chance' - McDermott has say as Glens ace joins Linfield

Glentoran manager Mick McDermott says the club are only interested in players "who want to be here" following Navid Nasseri's move to Linfield.

Nasseri joins the Blues less than 24 hours after helping Glentoran win the Irish Cup.

The attacking midfielder joins Conor Pepper in making the switch from the Oval to Windsor Park.

"We gave that player a chance when he had been out of football for months," McDermott told the Glentoran website.

"We were prepared to keep him, but you reach the point when what a player wants is well beyond what is reasonable and is out of synch with what our best players are on.

"So you move on."

Nasseri is the fourth player as a Linfield player on a busy day for the Irish Premiership champions, who have already added former Glentoran right-back Conor Pepper to their
                squad.

Coleraine goalkeeper Chris Johns and French striker Christy Manzinga have also joined the Blues in a statement of intent from David Healy ahead of Linfield's Champions League preliminary round semi-final against San Marino Tre Fiori on 8 August.

"He's a player we've watched closely when he's played against us and he's an exciting talent," Blues boss Healy said of Nasseri's capture.

"He's a player of excellent pedigree who can play in several forward positions.

"He's got a keen eye for goal and he will provide added quality in the final third of the pitch."

McDermott's comments came after Glentoran bolstered their squad with an eye-catching triple swoop for Luke McCullough, Jamie McDonagh and Rory Brown.

McCullough, 26, has six Northern Ireland caps and was part of Michael O'Neill's Euro 2016 squad.

Winger McDonagh joins from Derry City while Brown makes the move from relegated Institute.

"We are only interested in players who want to be here and who want to commit to our project here and we continue to build our club around players who are committed to our
                long-term plan," added McDermott.

"That's what we've done today.""

https://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/53622557

Comment

Theyre in Championsleague qualifiers playin San Marino champions. Should be a win under normal circumstances, after that they will play the winner of Kosovo champs vs. Andorra champs, which should also be doable.

Theres probably a 5% chance they go all the way and make it to the CL, but lets hope they make the EL at least. Few good performances there and he could move to a better league and eventually become an interesting option for Teammelli. By the way for those who dont know he started out at Man Utd. youth teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiroKhorshid View Post
                    Theyre in Championsleague qualifiers playin San Marino champions. Should be a win under normal circumstances, after that they will play the winner of Kosovo champs vs. Andorra champs, which should also be doable.

Theres probably a 5% chance they go all the way and make it to the CL, but lets hope they make the EL at least. Few good performances there and he could move to a better league and eventually become an interesting option for Teammelli. By the way for those who dont know he started out at Man Utd. youth teams.
                    He's never getting near TM. Not good enough.
                    golbezanpodcast.com
                    twitter.com/GolBezan
                    instagram.com/GolBezan
                    youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Originally posted by FMCSMUBLB View Post
                      He's not but damnit Arya lets have some fun here

Comment

Originally posted by FMCSMUBLB View Post
                        I never said he is good enough for TM, but that if he performs well enough in EL or in a better league, he could be an interesting option. A guy like Zahedi was playing in Iceland not too long ago, which im sure is not better than Northern Irelands league. Now he moved to a respectable league (Ukraine) and is doin well there, and im sure if he keeps it up this season he will be called up by Skocic sooner or later.

Taremi was playin in Azadegan league until the age of 22. Now at 28 he became the top scorer in Portugal. Ghoochannejhad played in Dutch 2nd division until he was 22/23 and wanted to quit football and go back to university. 2 years later he was a TM player, sent us to the world cup and eventually scored our only goal in Brazil. Now henis the 5th or 6th highest goal scorer in TM history, and all this happened within a few years.

Lets not write of guys like Nasseri yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiroKhorshid View Post
                          I never said he is good enough for TM, but that if he performs well enough in EL or in a better league, he could be an interesting option. A guy like Zahedi was playing in Iceland not too long ago, which im sure is not better than Northern Irelands league. Now he moved to a respectable league (Ukraine) and is doin well there, and im sure if he keeps it up this season he will be called up by Skocic sooner or later.

Taremi was playin in Azadegan league until the age of 22. Now at 28 he became the top scorer in Portugal. Ghoochannejhad played in Dutch 2nd division until he was 22/23 and wanted to quit football and go back to university. 2 years later he was a TM player, sent us to the world cup and eventually scored our only goal in Brazil. Now henis the 5th or 6th highest goal scorer in TM history, and all this happened within a few years.

Lets not write of guys like Nasseri yet.
                          Okay. But for who? Who is Zahedi, realistically going to replace? Same goes for Nasseri.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and yes they might be considered, but the likeliness of a call up, especially for Nasseri is close to impossible.

If you have ever watched the Northern Irish league, you would understand.
                          golbezanpodcast.com
                          twitter.com/GolBezan
                          instagram.com/GolBezan
                          youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Of course playin in Northern Ireland makes a call up to our stacked offense impossible, all im sayin is he might become successfull and follow the path of a guy like Zahedi, who i believe might invited to TM soon as he is performing well in a respectable european league now. He might get to play one match only and never be invited again, i dont know. All im sayin is lets keep an eye on guys like Nasseri, which doesnt mean that he is TM material at the moment.

Things happen fast in football. Imagine his team makes it to EL and they get in a group of death with lets say AC Milan, PSV and Wolfsburg. Their team is probably gonna get smoked but if you as an individual player can impress there, you could very easily end up in a respectable league. No a straight offer from a top league, but Austria, Switzerland, Ukraine, Denmark, Croatia, and and and...

Comment

Originally posted by aenima_8 View Post
                              Navid joins Northern Irish Premier league winners Linfield FC after winning the Irish Cup with Glentoran yesterday:

"Navid Nasseri: 'We gave the player a chance' - McDermott has say as Glens ace joins Linfield

Glentoran manager Mick McDermott says the club are only interested in players "who want to be here" following Navid Nasseri's move to Linfield.

Nasseri joins the Blues less than 24 hours after helping Glentoran win the Irish Cup.

The attacking midfielder joins Conor Pepper in making the switch from the Oval to Windsor Park.

"We gave that player a chance when he had been out of football for months," McDermott told the Glentoran website.

"We were prepared to keep him, but you reach the point when what a player wants is well beyond what is reasonable and is out of synch with what our best players are on.

"So you move on."

Nasseri is the fourth player as a Linfield player on a busy day for the Irish Premiership champions, who have already added former Glentoran right-back Conor Pepper to their
                              squad.

Coleraine goalkeeper Chris Johns and French striker Christy Manzinga have also joined the Blues in a statement of intent from David Healy ahead of Linfield's Champions League preliminary round semi-final against San Marino Tre Fiori on 8 August.

"He's a player we've watched closely when he's played against us and he's an exciting talent," Blues boss Healy said of Nasseri's capture.

"He's a player of excellent pedigree who can play in several forward positions.

"He's got a keen eye for goal and he will provide added quality in the final third of the pitch."

McDermott's comments came after Glentoran bolstered their squad with an eye-catching triple swoop for Luke McCullough, Jamie McDonagh and Rory Brown.

McCullough, 26, has six Northern Ireland caps and was part of Michael O'Neill's Euro 2016 squad.

Winger McDonagh joins from Derry City while Brown makes the move from relegated Institute.

"We are only interested in players who want to be here and who want to commit to our project here and we continue to build our club around players who are committed to our
                              long-term plan," added McDermott.

"That's what we've done today.""

https://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/53622557
                              Mickeee-D doesnt sound bitter @all...!!

Comment

The Northern Irish league is at the same level as English conference leagues. They are really bad.
                                golbezanpodcast.com
                                twitter.com/GolBezan
                                instagram.com/GolBezan
                                youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Working...
                                X