Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Iran bid to host the 1990 World Cup? v.2.0 (Yes, we did)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Iran bid to host the 1990 World Cup? v.2.0 (Yes, we did)

We originally had a thread about this that got archived. There was much speculation and denials regarding whether we had bid or not in that thread. Wikipedia keeps insisting we did. I finally found an online source along with an Iranian newspaper clipping that indicated that we actually did in 1977 (along with a bid for the 1984 Olympics) although withdrew our bid later on. It doesn't say when we withdrew it although I'm guessing it was probably after 1979. I'm glad I can finally put this to rest as solved although I'm saddened by what may have been had things turned out differently.

به گزارش "ورزش سه"، ایران در حالی میزبانی خود را در سال 1977 تقدیم فیفا کرد که روی 3 ورزشگاه خوب تهران ، ورزشگاه صد هزار نفری غرب، ورزشگاه 40 هزار نفری شرق و ورزشگاه 30 هزار نفری شهر حساب کرده بود.قرار بود ورزشگاهی در اهواز(همان الگوی غدیر حال حاضر) ،ورزشگاهی در تبریز در کنار توسعه باغ شمال، ورزشگاهی در رشت،ورزشگاهی مجهز در اصفهان وشیراز ساخته وتدارک شود .

ایران تصمیم داشت مسابقات جام جهانی را در 3 ورزشگاه تهران، 2 ورزشگاه تبریز، ورزشگاه اهواز ، ورزشگاه اصفهان، ورزشگاه شیراز و ورزشگاه رشت برگزار کند .

کمبود ناگهانی بودجه کشور باعث شد چند ماه بعد از اعلام میزبانی انصراف رسمی دهیم وبر این اساس درخواست المپیک 1984 ومیزبانی جام جهانی 1990 را ارائه داده وبعد آن ها را پس بگیریم .

I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

So depressing. We would have hosted both Olympics and Probably world cup in the 20th Century and now we can't even host an Asian cup. Damn the revolution and IR.

Comment

hasratttttttttt!

Comment

Thank you for this thread. I knew about the 1984 Summer Olympic Games but never knew that Iran had placed a bid for the 1990 World Cup.

So 1986 World Cup was gonna be in Colombia, do we know why Colombia pulled out from the bid? How about Soviet Union with regards to the 1990 World Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by rooyintan View Post
          Thank you for this thread. I knew about the 1984 Summer Olympic Games but never knew that Iran had placed a bid for the 1990 World Cup.

So 1986 World Cup was gonna be in Colombia, do we know why Colombia pulled out from the bid? How about Soviet Union with regards to the 1990 World Cup?
          Colombia just couldn't pull it off, presumably because when they bid for it the World Cup had 16 teams but afterwards it increased to 24 and they weren't prepared for it. Soviet Union was in the bidding until the end in a 2 horse race with Italy but ultimately Italy won it.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Working...
          X