1974 World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
    Do you have any specific recollections about the game itself or the buildup to it that I could add to the post?
    Sorry for the late reply. I have been preoccupied past few days.

The build up to the game as I mentioned earlier was that nobody believed we deserved the score line we ended up with in the first leg. Losing Parvin was a huge blow and really affected our midfield. He was our playmaker. So for the return leg with him back and playing at home, pretty much everyone was confident that we can get the result needed to at least send it to a third game.

Please note, in those days there was no "away goal rule" in affect. So even if Australia scored a goal or two we could have tied the aggregate as long as we scored 3 more goals than them. Also if the aggregate was tied after 2 games they would hold a third game in a neutral country to decide the winner.

Aryemehr Stadium had just been inaugurated only 2 or 3 months before this match. And even though the stadium was not fully packed that day it was extremely noisy and really scared the Aussies. You could tell how nervous they were by the way they were playing. TM was hungry like no other and scored 2 goals in the first 30 min. The Aussie coach really re arranged his team after the second goal and went totally defensive and parked the bus as its known today.

After that TM attacked and attacked and attacked. I don't recall Rashidi touching the ball hardly for the rest of the game. The ball was pretty much played in the Aussie half and in front of their goal but with them gone all out defensive it was difficult penetrating it. Still TM had a good number of chances to get that important third goal but luck was not our side.

So the game along with the return Ireland game in 2001 ended up being the most bitter victory in the history of TM. I really blame the coaching staff (Bayati) for this loss. Their decision to play New Zealand just days prior to the first leg was horrific and fatal to the campaign.

But as mentioned by another member this loss made TM much stronger, and for next WCQ with a much better coaching staff and many younger players they qualified for the WC without a single loss and only conceding 3 goals in 11 games. We were the sole representative form Asia and Oceania, And to top it all off, TM defeated the Aussies in Melbourne from a sweet goal from Hassan Rowshan. That was the real revenge to the bitter loss 4 years earlier.

Comment

Really enjoyed reading this big thanks to KC and also Damavand for your efforts.

For me, I get my info on our 70s team from my uncles and our very own Andranik Eskandarian. He has a shop in my area and growing up I would always go there once every few months to pick up a new shirt or cleats and also get a chance to talk to him about his experiences.

We look at our campaigns in the 90s and 2000s and say “wow we were so close” but these 70s teams, like this team who we’re covering that missed it by a goal or two, had a MUCH harder WCQ campaign. So many legends in that team I’m glad many/most got to play in a WC before their career ended
      Team Meli Iran
      Perspolis FC
      Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
        Really enjoyed reading this big thanks to KC and also Damavand for your efforts.

For me, I get my info on our 70s team from my uncles and our very own Andranik Eskandarian. He has a shop in my area and growing up I would always go there once every few months to pick up a new shirt or cleats and also get a chance to talk to him about his experiences.

We look at our campaigns in the 90s and 2000s and say “wow we were so close” but these 70s teams, like this team who we’re covering that missed it by a goal or two, had a MUCH harder WCQ campaign. So many legends in that team I’m glad many/most got to play in a WC before their career ended
        For your info, Hadi Aghili is now living in our area as well.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

I played tennis with him a few months ago and took him to a Red Bull’s game with me and a friend.....really nice guy!
          Team Meli Iran
          Perspolis FC
          Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Prior to the Australia away game.

I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Do you live in New Jersey or Missouri?

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                Do you live in New Jersey or Missouri?
                Are you planning on coming over?

Comment

Are you planning on coming over?
                  Not at all, my friend. I was just curious since your profile says you live in Missouri but you mention being with Hadi Aghili who is in NJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                    Not at all, my friend. I was just curious since your profile says you live in Missouri but you mention being with Hadi Aghili who is in NJ.
                    Yes I am in New Jersey.

Comment

Working...
                    X