• Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRAN's group at Russia WC

PORTUGAL
    SPAIN
    MOROCCO
    IRAN

Not a group I would have liked to face. NONE of these teams.
    But ce la vie. That's the luck of the draw (speaking of which, how lucky are Saudis ... in Asia AND Int'lly!?!??)

Work starts today and I seriously hope CQ started the negotiations with other teams to rack up some useful test games. I'm sure groups where teams like Saudi, egypt, australia, ... play will be very receptive to a test game versus Iran.
    So straight off, teams like Russia, Uruguay, France, Peru and Denmark should be easy targets for CQ to convince and vice versa.
    (With an outside chance of Japan's and Korea's group mates ... although I never understood why. Coz technically speaking we have very little in common with Japanese and Korean football. But somehow being in the same continent seems to be the prevalent mindset among football coaches!! Hey, I wouldnt be complaining if we get Germany, Mexico, Poland, ... to ask for games with us)
    Then we have Tunsia who could be similar to Iran, so I wouldnt be surprised if we get more than a second look from England and Belgium.

MOROCCO
    1st game is very important for team who have aspirations. So the game vs. Morocco is our do or die game, right from the kick off.
    I dont have much idea about their style of game. But I'm thinking it wouldnt be very different from us, except a higher level of composure and familiarity to top level football given their imports to Europe.

SPAIN
    2nd game also is very interesting, even if we ignore the pedigree of the opponents for a second.
    IF a team gets a good result from its 1st game, it needs a solid performance to cement its hopes of advance, even if it can be a single point.
    This gets interesting as I actually think we do have a chance at a single point versus Spaniards.
    They are a short statured team with insistence on long possession periods. Against our more physical, taller team who doesnt mind giving up possession and looks for short counters. Actually Spain's game should suit us just fine. The only problem is the HUGE difference in technical abilities that is a cause for concern.

Another key issue and in our favor is the short distance we need to travel for this game, it seems (according to Navad program), to Kazan, Azmoun's apparent prison where he's held captive.

PORTUGAL
    Finally, our 3rd game is against the European champs, who have the speed, incisive attack but may be a bit slow in defense. They arent exactly Brazil or Germany for us to be scared of. But they are far more potent than Russia or Poland. I hope neither we nor Portugal would need a point from this game. Because if they need it, they have the capability to get it and if WE need it, then it is an uphill task ... given it's also our THIRD game within 10-11 days!

Things to WISH for?
    1- an off-day for Morocco while we're fully fresh and turned on

2- A 1st game loss for Spain, who may get desperate and become error prone. Given how their style suits TM's style of football, this actually may work in our favor.

3- A Portugal that has done the job by the third game AND that prancing narcissistic idiot ronaldo either rested or injured or .... dead (who the f**k cares).

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
      ronaldo either rested or injured or .... dead (who the f**k cares).
      C’mon man, you are a doctor, you guys are in life saving business, don't say that!
      I dont like CR a bit, but I want him full alive and fit and kick his ass on the field, how about that?

PS: Even dentists are doctors, no excuse!
      CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Actually I am getting more and more comfortable with our group. We are playing in the World Cup to earn respect and have a shot for glory. We cannot achieve that against minors.

Imagine we can get a result against Spain or Portugal! That will be bigger than anything we achieved in football before.

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
          C’mon man, you are a doctor, you guys are in life saving business, don't say that!
          I dont like CR a bit, but I want him full alive and fit and kick his ass on the field, how about that?

PS: Even dentists are doctors, no excuse!
          well, even we have wayyzz to make ppl daydd ... starting with a little corn stuck in between teeth ... knowhatahmean?

Comment

Thats why I say, never discuss football and politics with your dentist....

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Of the 3 opponents , we are quite familiar with the style, strengths and weaknesses of Portugal and Spain.
              For ME, personally, Morocco is a bit of an unknown. So I found this post by Surenas in general forum quite helpful in shedding some light on Morocco's team.

Originally posted by Surenas View Post
              So guys, let's have a real talk how we can play against all of our three opponents.
              Our first task will be Morocco.
              Morocco switches usually between offence and defence. Their main focus is defending.
              Morocco starts with 4-5-1 formation.
              If they attack or make pressure they switch into a 4-3-3 with two DM/CM and one OM.
              Renard's idea in his system is having an advantage in the central position of the field playing, if you control this area, Morocco tries to attack through their wingers not from a central position!
              That's the important part about their tactics. Ziyech and Amrabat are pretty fast and are very technical. Same goes for Belhanda, had the opportunity to watch is games when he played for Schalke, he is a great player, but inconstant. If you make pressure, if Ashkan ya Karimi have an eye on him we can take the wingers out. Belhanda is crucial, Ziyech and Amrabat get their passing usually from Belhanda. If Renard realizes Belhanda can't reach them, usually he send's Boussoufa to assist him. That means we have room and we can neutralize their midfield and destabilize Renard's system. Ziyech and Amrabat need to assist them too and Morocco will switch again to a 4-5-1 formation. The good part about them is, both Ziyech and Amrabat are attacking players, assisting the LB and RB will cost them much power and speed and they have deficits in defending.
              Morocco's strengh:
              + Having fast wingers
              + Having a great OM player like Belhanda
              + Solid defence a great CB with Benatia
              + They know how to defend and they are quite defensive usually
              Morocco's weakness
              - Switching permanently the formation cost's much power
              - Benatia is slow, he will have trouble with Azmoun or Saman, he had these issues in the Bundesliga
              - Ziyech and Amrabat are too offensive
              - The GK of Morocco is shaky
              Given with the absolute confidence that our game will also be THEIR best bet for 3 points, I hope CQ makes sure we have plenty of familiarity with their style before the match day, so we're not surprised by their strengths.

Nor shd we be complacent the way we were against Angola or Bosnia and take the game as granted, coz as hard as it is, but I must admit Morocco seems stronger than us. At least its players are far more experienced and exposed to top class football.

personally I'd love to pay at least 4-5 TOUGH games against teams similar to Morocco to fully prepare. And teams of Algeria, Egypt, Tunisia, ... are definitely within cheapskate IFF's range

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
                Actually I am getting more and more comfortable with our group. We are playing in the World Cup to earn respect and have a shot for glory. We cannot achieve that against minors.

Imagine we can get a result against Spain or Portugal! That will be bigger than anything we achieved in football before.
                fully agree. this was what I meant in my thread in the Football forum too

Comment

MOROCCO

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
                  Given with the absolute confidence that our game will also be THEIR best bet for 3 points, I hope CQ makes sure we have plenty of familiarity with their style before the match day, so we're not surprised by their strengths.
                  CQ already did some work on his own here
                  In this interview, he said through his own connections he already confirmed Iran's last preparation game vs Algeria in Tehran.
                  CQ also wishes to play Turkey on 28th May.
                  He also said friendlies vs Croatia and Bulgaria and Italy would be very suitable for Iran's preparations.

Also Iran's team camp in Russia will be at Lokomotiv Moscow's facilities.

Comment

Japan has a nice group; I wish Iran had that. And if someone could please explain what is the deal with Argentina and Nigeria being drawn into the same group yet again?!?
                    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

The whole idea & the primary goal of this WC Was for TM to finally get outa the damn group stage. Not yet again fail (however honorably or other bs..!🙄)to take this long awaited historic step ..!
                      That freaking unlucky, tough draw pretty much nip that whole objective & aspirations in the butt, as far as I’m concerned ..!

The only silver lining was the favorable scheduling of our games & my main source encouragement for a possible miraculous advancement arises from my faith in Carlos’s meticulous planning & preparations skills...!

As others alluded the most vital fixture is our first game, where 3 points is a must for a possible squeeze outa of the group stage ..! I think we have a 50/50 chance of beating morocco if boys play a good & organized game..! But that game, by en large , got a 0-0 draw written all over it ..!
                      We simply don’t fair well vs tiki taka, good Passing & high Possession teams who easily Neutralize our intense whole-team Pressing tactics. Especially a high caliber & well experienced international power house in the mold of Spain..! That is 90% Loss in my book & 10% a draw if we get a huge dose of luck ..!
                      Our best bet will be to play a nasty tempered & highly physical game & try to get under the skin with mind games, pre & during that match.
                      We stand about 30-40 chance of a draw or a possible narrow win vs Portugal, depending how the two teams have faired in their previous group games.

Comment

Does Iran have a midfield general?
                        sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Working...
                        X