Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Thoughts on Whether AFC Should Hold the Asian Cup Every 2 Years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Thoughts on Whether AFC Should Hold the Asian Cup Every 2 Years?

I know it is not on the table at the moment, but does anyone else think an Asian Cup every 2 years might be a good idea? CONCACAF and CAF are already using this system. They have a tournament every 2 years, and before the confederations cup, they have a single game between the 2 cup winners to find the true "champion".

This past month was fairly quiet for Asia, and we are losing out to match practice that other confederations are getting. It does dilute the title of being champion in some ways, but it has tactical advantages of creating more high level competition among Asian squads. I feel that this may be a good idea. Iran could have played in an "Asian Cup" over the last few weeks, maybe even with a reserve squad like how the north american teams did. This could have been used to test players and promote chemistry among the NT players. Could have used younger guns like Kaveh Rezaei and others that are on the fringe to see if they can cut it at the world cup.

Also, allows us to avoid getting screwed in the single competition. Getting screwed once in 4 years, fine. It's plausible. Us getting screwed twice in four years... We would win the Asian Cup at least once, if not twice, between now and 2019.

I, for one, think this should be a bigger issue. AFC should consider it, in my opinion.

Screw playing shit Asian teams

Comment

no, devalues the value of winning it in the first place and will cause our players to take it less seriously. What makes the asian cup special is that its every 4 years. Would also increase the chances of some shit asian side hosting it like Vietnam and thus creating a really shitty tournament, remember how bad 2007 was? With 1/4 of the teams in it being substandard asian teams.
      Please watch and Subscribe:

Comment

The Gold Cup the year before the World Cup (such as this year's) is a joke. No one sends their full team because the World Cup qualifiers are their priority. Once every 4 years is enough.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

The shorter the duration between major football cups the cheesier and less important a tournament gets! so answer should be no...

Comment

Awful idea, that's how a tournament loses its prestige. 4 years is fine.

Comment

sure, it would be damaging from a tournament prestige standpoint but to me AC doesnt hold near the prestige of WC appearances..!
              in our predicament where we can't afford nor manage any friendlies to save our lives, i wouldnt mind this tourney played more frequently in order have it serve as a WCQ preparations and just flat out more frequent exciting and competitive games to look forward to for us TM Fans.!
              right now we freaking avg. what? like 3months or more between games..?? besides it provides us with valuable opportunities to test out new, young and upcoming TM talents..!

Comment

Its already a poorly timed, poorly attended tournament (except for TM games). They have also made it a 24 team tournament, so once every 4 years is fine.

Comment

Since we got screwed at the 2015 Asian Cup, I don't care about this tournament anymore.

I wish we could just send our reserves next time to make a statement to AFC and give our talents the opportunity to develop.

Comment

2 years will ruin the prestige of the tournament even tho it didn't really have any prestige

Comment

Working...
                    X