Iran NT and 3-4-3 Formation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran NT and 3-4-3 Formation

As we all know we have many talented wing backs/wingers such as Amiri, Jahanbakhsh, Torabi, Mohammadi, Alishah, Mohsen Karimi, etc. On the other hand, unfortunately we lack of having decent attacking midfielders/playmakers. Wing back/wingers is the area that we have the most depth and attacking midfielders/play-makers is the position that we have the least depth. You have to take that into consideration when you want to choose your formation and in fact you should choose your formation based on that.

Based on what I said I think 3-4-3 is the best formation for us because it lets you use almost all of your good wing backs/wingers and you do not need to have many great central midfielders. When you start a game with 3-4-3 formation, you attack with this formation but you can switch to 5-4-1 whenever you need to defend. I know CQ will not use this formation most likely but some coaches in the world do like Marcelo Bielsa. He used this formation when he coached Chile NT.

What do you guys think?

Here are the sample line up with this formation:
    Attached Files

I can see the logic behind the idea but it would never happen and wouldn't really be practical IMO. And if we did go with 3 in the back it would be crazy to not include Montazeri in the XI, he's levels above Ansari or any other CB for that. Also it's way too soon for Shojeian and Pahlevan to become starters for TM they do not have enough experience under CQ and in TM to outseat the guys they got ahead of them.

The 4-3-3 or the 4-2-3-1 that CQ uses has always worked perfectly in terms of getting results so for that reason I'm against any change. The only formation change I personally wouldn't be opposed to is one that includes 2 strikers as a lot of fans have called for but that is something to be tested in a friendly for one half or so.
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Those were two sample line up. When I picked them I never thought about the strongest possible line up.

Comment

Also my idea about 3-4-3 formation is for 2019 or after 2019 where the likes of Dejagah and Shojaei (Our first two choices for AM position) will be retired most likely.

Comment

Actually IMO 3-4-3 needs amazing midfielders, esp in the middle they are the link to attack and have to cover further ground since no CAM is ahead of them.

As for defense, you need athletic CBs. If we had 3 Pouraliganjis it could work. Hosseini and Montazeri are great positional/emergent defenders. They have to be athletic enough to spread wide and cover central spaces at the same time.

I think its inportant to have a knowledge of multiple formations if need be. I think best focus with our current player pool is trying to make two strikers work especially against Asian opposition.

Comment

For 3-4-3 formation, it is very important to have a good CDM and we have the likes of Ezatolahi, Cheshmi, etc. Other than that, we do not need to have many amazing central midfielders/playmakers. We also have good right/left midfielders. We just lack of having a decent young CAM. Also we have many good wingers and that was one of the most important reasons I thought about 3-4-3 formation which gives you option to play an attacking game and it can be switched to 5-4-1 whenever you need to defend.

Comment

3-4-3 would be a great fit for TM imo. Chelsea,Sevilla are the teams that are really bringing it about again, it was originally championed by bielsa. The team who plays with this formation, in order to be successful using it, would need to be tactically, and defensively proficient. This is something TM, under CQ, definitely is. Additionally, it would require, two excellent wing backs, with stamina,strength,speed, and real offensive capability. In MiMo and rezaian, two players who have been known to play wingers for the clubs at times, we have excellent options for this department. What the formation does excellent is that it frees up the attacking three (and in particular the right and left forwards) to focus solely on creating and pressing, and not have to worry about tracking back. This gives them more energy to attack, and ensures that all three are close together at all times to provide each other support, but can also interchange and be fluid positionally causing issues for opposing defenses. This is the main reason we have seen Hazard thrive this year for chelsea, and nasri when he has been used there for sevilla.
              One potential issue with the formation itself is that it would require a creative player from deep to link with the forwards (not necessarily play killer final passes like a CAM). Fabregas is in great form with chelsea, as is nasri with sevilla from this position, and players like cazorla would also thrive in it. TM does not have this creative force from deep. However, chelsea were able to excel using the formation with two destroyers (matic and kante) for about 8-10 games, before matic got injured and fabregas came in , so it can be done. Plus Hajsafi and ezzat will both provide drive and attacking from the deeper positions in their own way.
              Overall i would love to see us try the formation, but i doubt it will happen. It is too deep in the qualifying phase to switch tactics in such a major way, and to much of a risk. Plus, we don't have enough friendlies to really experiment with it and feel confident using it heading into a competitive match. and to be honest, i would equally love to see TM try a 4-4-1-1 formation with Gucci or ansarifard beneath azmoun. That idea has far better chance of actually being tried than 343 because it isnt tactially that different from a 4231. Interesting idea and good thread tho.

edit: just saw that u said this is an idea for post WC. In that case it may be implemented unless we discover a good CAM by then. Sharifi, captain of u17, laready made debut for SS khuz senior team, may be able to fill that role

Comment

It's a good point you bring up and it's possible Iran one day play with that formation if Taha Shariati continues to grow as I believe he would be really good in the middle of the back 3 in a sweeper type role. He has all the qualities to play there.

The issue I would say with that is that we don't have enough centre backs to sit on the bench as cover.
                Lets say we have:

Hosseini-PAG-Montazeri for example as the starters. It's very solid of course.

Who are the other 3 back up centre backs. Now you wouldn't really expect there to be 6 centre backs called up necessarily, but 2 were injured, suspended, retire etc... Who do we play? Does Tafazolli get a call up, maybe, do we risk calling up a raw talent like Shariati? Or lets say only PAG is available to play... Will we just play:

Pourghaz-PAG-Ansari? Bit underwhelming wouldn't you say.

PAG-Shariati-Tafazolli would be sick though if you asked me

Comment

Originally posted by Sarbaze-Vatan View Post
                  For 3-4-3 formation, it is very important to have a good CDM and we have the likes of Ezatolahi, Cheshmi, etc. Other than that, we do not need to have many amazing central midfielders/playmakers. We also have good right/left midfielders. We just lack of having a decent young CAM. Also we have many good wingers and that was one of the most important reasons I thought about 3-4-3 formation which gives you option to play an attacking game and it can be switched to 5-4-1 whenever you need to defend.
                  One more thing:

3-4-3 formation allows you use all these players Pahlevan, Torabi, Jahanbakhsh, etc in the main line up and in their main playing position.

Comment

Working...
                  X