Russia WCQs - Iran - South Korea. ; Oct 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russia WCQs - Iran - South Korea. ; Oct 2016

If you squinted your eyes and turned off the volume and ignored the silly, irrelevant banners in the stands, you'd be forgiven to think you were watching a game between South Korea and Germany. Yes finally we witnessed a completely disciplined, well rounded, comfortably in control game by TM against a very good side. (Some may opine that this version of Korea may not be its best or strongst. But nevertheless it has the stars and the pedigree and the class of Korea we've come to expect .. oh so very often through the years)

Let me start by crediting this abnormally disciplined performance to its architect, CQ. Yes, I've had some problems with a few issues with him and haven't been bowled over like many others by him. But credit ought to be given when due. And by God he deserves it this time.

Such organization and composure throughout the pitch is pretty much unprecedented in TM, no matter which edition or year. The Koreans may bring up difference in altitude or even sillier matters like polution and whatnot, but the fact is they were second best literally anywhere in the pitch, no matter how big their ego or how much association with european club football. Thy simply had no answer to any questions we put through to them.

The sheer dominance of Iran is refelcted in one stat that saw as many as 7 shots (out of 12-14?) On target, against none for Korea, which included Spurs' new star, Son. The player who was rendered utterly hapless that ended up being subbed out.

What the scoreline dos not reflect is the number of 100% chances we had that could have very easily seen margin of 4 goals instead of 1. A 4-0 would not have been unfair whatsoever.

From the continuing saga of shut-outs by Beiranvand, to the strength and control of defense by PAG - Hosseini duo who ruled the box. To the revelation of both fullbacks, Rezaeian and Mohamadi (due to whom we can breath a sigh of relief at LB, hopefully for many many years to come). Our defense was simply impeccable and impenetrable. Even when the Koreans threw their "kitchen sink" at us with their tall shinwook who, despite having a few inches over any of our players, met with he same fate as Son; useless. Mainly due to PAG who tagged him in the box or Ezatolahi outside the box.

Midfield saw finally Hajsafi leave the confounded LB post and play in the belt, where he's more comfortable and useful. Paired with Ezatolahi who's showing years of maturity beyond his age.

Our wingers were very energetic and Amiri on the left flank looked a totally new player from the game in China. He also had a few brilliant flashes in winning balls back and even and very close to score.
    JB was his explosive, industrious and exciting self and only tough luck and last gasp defending denied him two extremely deserving goals.

Dejagah was pretty good. Despite a few missteps that can be attributed to playing in the swamp of Persian Gulf leagues. But ran the middle well, supplied balls ad helped when he could and where needed.

Azmoun also was quite satisfactory, especially his opportunistic goal that set Iran alight. But he still has ways to learn to be a team player and a complete forward, who also does serve his mates. His selfish act near the end of second half denied us a massive opportunity to score. If only he had passed to the cost and open Rezaeian!

The subs also did their job and Ando controlled the midfield when Koreans were piling on the pressure to equalize. I am still not convinced about Taromi by am willing to give him a few more games before deciding if he belongs to TM or is it mere hype because he plays for IRAN's most popular club.

CQ's masterstroke of rotating the front lines for two back to back games really clicked. From the comprehensive game in Uzbekistan to this delight of a game against our traditional Asian rival.
    If this trend continues we may even see the most comfortable WC qualifications we've ever experienced with maybe a game to spare.

Finally, the fact that we won and people showed jubilation and joy on the day the oppressive regime tried its best to deny the people the little venue for release and happiness they sorely lack in life, truly made my day.

Totally agree. The most impressive thing for me was the level of workrate to press the ball in packs for the entire game. Every time the ball was passed to a Korean player at least one player was pressing whilst the ball was still moving - if you compare us to the Koreans in this respect it was no contest.

The big difference between this and the Uzbekistan game for me was how well we kept the ball once we had it. This has been my biggest concern and criticism of CQ's reign so far - particularly in the last world cup there seemed to be so little ability or desire to keep the ball and take the pressure off our defence, in the Nigeria game to such a degree it was as if CQ had told the players he didn't mind them just clearing it to the opposition and trying to hit on the counter. This was a huge improvement in this game, although the Koreans were strangely subdued in any pressing at all - almost as if they were shell-shocked by our high press.

If we can keep the defensive solidity and continue to add this side to our game we can start dreaming big.

Comment

Working...
    X