Russia WCQ - China - Iran. Sept 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russia WCQ - China - Iran. Sept 2016

We threw away two precious points in a game that the opponents had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to threaten us with (they might be even weaker than syria!!!)! I know CQ will build china up as if he faced Brazil, to justify this poor performance.
    And I blame everyone, the players as well as the coach.

I really dont know what is CQ's problem. Is he so insecure about his decisions that he feels compelled to persist with them, no matter how glaringly wrong some of them may prove to be? I am referring to his insistence to keep low performing starters, for WAY TOO LONG in a game that wastes precious time.
    And this is not about this campaign. He has always behaved this way. But to make it clearer,iin the last game, he stuck with Taromi for 70+ valuable minutes that by all common sense and logic should not have stayed on the pitch to see the halftime even.

Then, today, he persisted with the invisible Amiri (no thanks to pp) for another massive amount of minutes that could have seen better players actually DO something.
    This utterly indefensible wastage of time means his teams only start to seriously threaten by the last 10-15 minutes of any game!!! What coach plans for just 10-15 minutes when they have the whole 90 minutes to utilize and take advantage of???
    I could even include Shojaei as a candidate who could have been replaced at halftime. Yes, in the 1st half he had a couple of good passes and a decent header. But that's all. He got back to his old self of Mr. Turnover!
    But CQ wasted 70+ minutes to sub him!

And the result shd speak for itself. Once Torabi and RGN came in, the team became more incisive and energetic, more threatening and almost scored even. But we had to wait for 80 minutes to see this urgency! WHY????

Is he insecure that he feels it is admission of defeat that he subs a starter by minute 35-40? He shd not. But I cant remember the last time he actually subbed anyone in the 1st half, aside from injuries.

I just dont rate highly a coach who vets his shit together only the last 10 minutes of a match. Have the guts and make changes as soon as you see them. Show spine and fortitude. So forgive me if I dont fall for that bizarre charade at minute 87 where he was shown to be angry and shouting and urging the players to attack!! Agha jan, if you were so insistent on getting the points and attacking, then you should have at least taken care of YOUR OWN END OF BUSINESS FIRST. You just wasted 75 minutes on two pow performers, both in attack!

What's more distressing is with CQ's indecisive attitude and our players' complacency, things could have gone south real bad if the ref had called Hosseini's high tackle inside our box, where his boot did connect (even though Softly) with the Chinese attacker who promptly fell down. I mean we have had pretty outrageous calls made against us by refs in Asia. And it wouldnt have surprised us that much if some ref had called the penalty.
    Unjust? yes. But possible? absolutely. Therefore CQ dithering over substitutions till the last 10-15 minutes of a match could have cost us the game! That's why I dont understand this near criminal wastage of time and missing of opportunities by CQ.

China had only one plan, which was to use its pacey forward behind our defense. But that meant we needed to attack their goal. The problem was that our team was so defensive that they hardly found much chance to put this in action. We always had 6-7 players more close to our goal than theirs.

After the first 15-20 minutes that revealed China's impotency, our players instead of getting more aggressive to search for the goal, actually became complacent. They were too relaxed and showed no urgency. To the extent that one would have though they were 4-0 up playing against kids!
    They wasted too much time exchanging passes between the defense and two DM's, who were mostly bunched together inside our half! That's precious opportunity wasted.

I admit the pitch was absolutely horrendous. But what about so many poor crosses? That had nothing to do with the horrible pitch. Why everyone failed at sending simple crosses?

Despite our domination of the pitch, and 11 shots, how many were actually on target to test the reserve keeper who looked very shaky? Why didn't we test him seriously? Tragic!

Thanks to a weak group, we're leading the table with 4 points. But we SHOULD HAVE up been 6 by all accounts and fairness. We just threw away a significant lead of two points, for no reason but too much caution by the coach and complacency by players.

Well I am in Hong Kong.
    And over here its very easy to hear sports news from neighboring Mainland China.
    I can say this, days before the game all experts over there were afraid of Iran, and many people thought China was going to lose. You could see that in the first half of the game, the Chinese were too nervous and didn't play hard... In the second half when they gained their confidence (and here you have to applaud their coach for whatever he said to them in the lockers) they started to play and attack like a home team.

If Sardar would have scored that first goal in the first half, the game would have finished right there for China! Iran actually made China stronger during the game.
    I watched the game on FOX Sports Asia (with Aussie commentators) and even they were surprised how Iran played. One commentator said something like..."Iran is usually much stronger than that, perhaps they were going for the draw right from the start of the game...."

It was indeed 2 points not taken.

The only positive point I take from the game was the overall defensive work of Iran, and surely a wake up call, that WCQ is no easy walkover even if you are the number one ranked team in the continent for some time. You do need to concentrate and score goals lads!
    CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Thank you both...
      Yes,CQ appears to be more conservative than we may want....but,he does deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt...at least,with CQ,we never have shocking disappointing losses.
      As DD said,China was in our hands..although I have a feeling China will play better with other teams..they just felt psycologically inferior to us....as adesor pointed out.
      ...while I am greatful for CQ...and do indeed agree with him..that " Defense first " mentality,is the right approach for TM....but, the offense was totally punchless,very predicatble...and no one had any killer instinct,nor ability of kick the damn ball on target......the midfield,works on helping defense or sending to the sides,too often...there is no right in the middle peneterations......and in my opinion...CQ,still does not know where to use offensive players...Dejagah, and Gucci,are mis-used. no offensive midfielder,and no decent shooter.
      nevertheless,I am positive,and I trust CQ to Correct himself.
      Last edited by zzgloo; 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Have you sent me one recently ?...I just checked.....no messages/.

Comment

It is rather disappointing how after seeing the massive weakness of the chinese right flank exposed against Korea, CQ either didnt notice, or if he did, didnt stress on it and certainly didnt make it his priority to exploit.

China's right side was a thoroughfare for the koreans who wisely, made full use of this and scored three goals.
          This was so glaringly obvious that a non football professional and a mere fan like me, who hasnt even touched a football or watched a game of football, noted it and judged it important to bear in mind and talk about it.

But what you expect from a world famous coach is to do the same or more, at a much higher standard. But CQ didnt.
          Lets say he did note this. Because the alternative is just too scary and farcical to imagine.
          But having noted the massive hole, he employed a potential player who could exploit it; Amiri.
          So far so good.
          But the problem starts when Amiri showed toothless and incapable of making any roadway in a flank that was there for the taking, our dear coach didnt bother to do anything about it!!! Not for a bloody long while.
          He took his time to bring in someone who COULD exploit the weakness, till the final 12-13 minutes of the match!!! ... thus, CRIMINALLY WASTING precious time that could have been utilized to drive home our domination with a goal or two ... much like the wise Koreans did.

But he sat on this. First 45 minutes shd have been enough to tell him today, Amiri isnt gong to cut it. Better not waste time and bring someone else.
          And the tragedy is when Torabi did come in, you could see a renewed aggression and penetration from that side that really threatened china. But there was hardly any time to drive it home!

I am 1000% sure had we had another 10 minutes, we'd have scored the goal. Absolutely sure of it.
          China was reeling and we were looking hungry and aggressive (with RGN coming in as second striker).

Why did CQ not use such a CLEAR AS DAY weakness?
          Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM
            I sent you one yesterday, another one a couple of days back and another one, a month ago.
            Its rather frustrating at this point
            DD jan....Got it !..I sent you one also....sorry for my stupidity.

Comment

Working...
            X