Russia WCQ's campaign and its advantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russia WCQ's campaign and its advantages

Now that we are about to step into yet another campaign of WC qualification we'll see more activity, interest, debates and yes, arguments about the team, its roster, tactics, coaches, games, ... etc. Which is what energizes us all.

I thought I'd make a few remarks on this edition's difference from the last one, the opportunities, and what we should look forward to.

1- TM selection.
    CQ's selection this time around, compared to 3 years (for WCQ) back feels different. Unlike the last time this time I see more youth energy in the team, which is a major positive. One of my bones with CQ the last time was how he mostly over-relied on aged players and didnt bank enough n our youngsters' drive and energy.

This time, though, he has. And I must add that what has made this easier for him is the level of experience some of our youngsters have gained in the past 3-4 years. Azmoun, Jahanbakhsh, Ezatollahi, PAG, Beyranvand, Shojaeian, ... not only have become more integrated into our team, but thanks to their exposure and involvement in the first teams pf their clubs, are among the more reliable players. Subsequently we can expect more energy and drive from TM this time around

The other difference is addition of a second bankable forward to the team. The last time, the only top performing and dependable forward was RGN. This time around, while RGN may have slightly lost sight of the goal, he still has retained his trademark dogged, high energy running characteristic which makes himself available for his team mates behind him. And now, we have another reliable forward who will provide extra options in the air for different modes of attack; Azmoun.
    I know pp fans would like to count on Taromi. But he hasnt proven himself aganst decent defenses yet. He has the potential. But his recent drama

I predict more use of the 4-3-3 formation by CQ than the uncomfortable 4-2-3-1, using pacey and skillful wingers like JB and Amiri on the flanks allow alternative options if CQ wants to change from something like Dejagah / Hajsafi wingers who are more physical and direct.

The problem or confusion starts when we reach midfield. Lots of good players and lots of options. But I fear CQ may try to fit in as many favorites as possible which may actually under-cut our maximum potential. Would two DM's for example help move things along in a 4-3-3 ?

With inclusion of Rafiei and Shojaeian, both of whom are very skillful as an attacking/creative midfielder, I hope we can finally say goodbye to the slow and now aged Shojaei. I am still hoping Rahmani can pull up his socks and regain his marvelous form to get the call up. The one that easily over-shadowed and dominated Rafiei's performances in Foolad. So we know he is capable of much more.
    And with the exciting Ezatollahi, we have the making of a fantastic midfilder who can be used in both defense and offense. That too for many years to come.

In the defense, another stark contrast is now we have too many LB choices to pick from. Which is a welcome headache. Aghaei, Naseri, Mohamadi and even the ill-fitting (for LB) Hajsafi are at CQ's disposal.
    Central defense is pretty much the same; older and wiser, but with youth support, should be ok.

2- The group
    I feel this group is even a couple of notches easier than the last time, especially with Syria in Lebanon's place. So I sincerely hope CQ doesnt leave qualification up to the very last game, like the last time. We cant rely on a fluke Korean defender's miskick or mistake to help us get the necessary points.

Most established teams aim to gather as many points as possible, AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Why? Because you cant leave things to the last day or be assured of doing it under massive stress at the late stage what you wouldnt do in early stages, under far less stressful circumstances
    And I think it is high time we started behaving like established teams.
    Because lets face it. Getting three point games against the likes of Qatar and China is imminently easier and doable than leaving the required three points for the last game AT KOREA..

In such qualification campaigns coaches have two types of strategies to lay. One is of course for each game that is dictated by issues like opponents' weaknesses and strengths, away or home game, our own squad, ... etc etc.
    And the second is the OVERALL campaign strategy, like when to push and strain, when to relax and rest some key players, how the away games are laid, what kind of rest periods between games we'd have, travel matters, ... etc. etc.

Last time I had a major bone to pick with CQ's overall campaign strategy, by kicking the can (meaning points collection here) down the road which increasingly piled on the pressure to such an extent that we were FORCED into a do-or-die situation of getting the FULL 9 points from possible 9 points, in our last 3 games. Including two AWAY fixtures, one against a top asian team.
    That was very foolhardy.
    No coach or team in the world would want that situation. A slight slip up, or as in our particular case, LACK of an opponent's mistake, would have been our undoing and elimination.

That's why I think just like most established teams, we have to put in our best and maximum effort to gather points AS EARLY as possible. This way, even if we slip up or if by some ill fortune, we lose points, WE'D HAVE TIME TO RECOVER and collect points.
    Leaving things to the last, leaves NO recovery chance.

On paper, a probable route to qualification is the oft repeated ''win at home, draw away'. But that may not be enough if a couple of other teams (most probably korea one of them) win a few away games, which would throw off the above rule/calculation.

So, Keeping the syrian fixture (both games) aside (meaning we shd not be satisfied with anything other than 6 points from this fixture), we may be required to win at least one or two more away games.
    Where would these come from?
    In terms of possibility and keeping the opponent's strengths in mind, I'd say among Korea, Uzbeks, Qatar and China, China shd be our target to get an AWAY WIN.

Luckily by next week we'll know if we have mustered this task or not, away to china. If not, then we'd have to try this against the Uzbeks, who actually may even be weaker than the chinese this time around.
    In any case we need at least two away wins to SAFELY rely on the ''win at home, draw away'' mantra

Comment

My fellow old timer..DD jan....
      I like and agree with your assesments .
      my two cents , is that additionaly our TM ,this time around, enjoys " Coaching stability " with CQ,as well as his additional knowledge of the whole Asia,and our TM and CQ knowing each other better....this team...from top to bottom, is all the work of CQ now .
      Last edited by zzgloo; 09-08-2016, 06:56 PM.

Comment

The only thing I'd add is the playing style. Hopefully we've moved past the full defensive system -> counter attacks, onto a more attacking style. That being said, the discipline that has been brought to our defensive game is stellar. I actually love that Shojaei is in the team, as I think he can bring a lot to the table as a substitute. He has the experience, and if need be can be of help. Let's see what the Qatar game brings, and we'll meet back here
        Ma Bishomarim

"!خدایا ایستاده مردن را نصبیم کن که از نشسته زیستن در زلت خسته ام"
        محمد مختاری -

"Lord, let me die standing, as I am tired of living in indignity and on my knees"
        - Mohammad Mokhtari

Comment

I'd like to see a classy gesture by our players or at least captains who visit other countries to at least greet the reporters at the press conference or interviews on their own language. Just learning to say the four simple phrases/words ;''hello. How are you. thank you. Goodbye'' shd not be difficult. Just ask one of the hosts to teach these a few minutes before a conference or interview.
          Hell, you can even google the simple words, if noone is there to help.
          You dont have to learn the entire language. Hell, you dont even have to remember it beyond the day ... if you're not inclined.

But to visit a host nation and say for example ''Ni Hao'' (hello in Chinese) and maybe ''xie xie'' (thank you) would not only elevate you tremendously as an individual, but your own culture and country in the eyes of the beholders. It automatically raises the respect for you and your culture.

I really wish such simple and small gestures would become a habit for our sports people.
          Doesnt cost you anything. The worst is you learn a few new words and phrases

Comment

So ... we really need to step our offensive game up. We only resort to crossing the ball in and have no alternative approach to that, it's insane. Yes we defend, but it doesn't matter if every time any team attacks we put 9 players back with 2 up front. It just doesn't make sense. China aren't Brazil or some other insanely skilled team where we need to do that. This counter-attacking mindset nearly cost us Qatar and now got us a tie with China.

Not the worst of outcomes, but we really need to have some sort of strategy going forward. Dejagah, despite lower fitness levels, does a great job of hustling and chasing down ball in the 2/3rd of the pitch and pushing the ball to the last third of the pitch, but without him we have nothing as we saw today. It's terrifying. This is looking more like another campaign of defending against weaker teams where we could win the game in the first 60 minutes, and then resort to counter attacking. Instead, we chase the game for 90 minutes.
            Ma Bishomarim

"!خدایا ایستاده مردن را نصبیم کن که از نشسته زیستن در زلت خسته ام"
            محمد مختاری -

"Lord, let me die standing, as I am tired of living in indignity and on my knees"
            - Mohammad Mokhtari

Comment

I think it is clear that the team needs a little variation in attack. Merely lobbing and crossing the ball HOPING for someone to do something (most probably saying 'ya morteza ali' each time!) just wont get us anywhere. We cant rely on luck getting us out of every situation.

We desperately need a creative playmaker, who can consistently feed the ball to forwards or runners.
              Preferably behind TWO strikers. Since a sole striker gets crowded by 2-3 defenders and renders him useless.
              Keeping a def mud behind the playmaker is good for distribution and balance of the team.

Given the above, a diamond 4-4-2 would be the best formation. ( 4-1-2-1-2 )
              Especially since it retains decent amount of wing play from right and left mids, who can foray up the touchlines, cut in, assist, cross, ... etc.

And the good thing is we do have the players who can deliver this formation.
              I just dont see why CQ insists on 4-2-3-1 so much.

Even today (the away game in china), only after taking Amiri (LW) and the slow shonaei our and bringing RGN (St) and Torabi (LM) in, and changing the formation to 4-4-2, did we see more incisive, attacking game that really threatened the chinese team.

And I am pretty sure if we had another 10 minutes or had CQ done this 10 minutes earlier, we'd have scored a goal.

Comment

Uzbekistan is currently at the top with 6 points from 2 matches! As things are, a team from Iran's group seems set to go into playoffs with Japan or Saudi Arabia. Here is the table of standings: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/asia/
                sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

I doubt uzbeks will have such an easy road from here on, except vs. China who are surprisingly weaker than expected.

Uzbeks are yet to meet kirea and iran. Only then we can see and measure their mettle

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM
                    Zz Jan, could you plz check your private message inbox please?
                    Have sent you a couple
                    DD jan....Sorry I missed them...I corrected my mistakes in all places....
                    Uzbaks,are realy a good team !!...Doctor Doom !

Comment

The thing that worries me is that if you trace the pattern since 1994, this is the World Cup Iran is supposed to miss out on:

1994 -> Missed
                      1998 -> Qualified
                      2002 -> Missed
                      2006 -> Qualified
                      2010 -> Missed
                      2014 -> Qualified
                      2018 -> ?

And I just read in the other forum that Ben Williams has been appointed to referee the Uzbekistan-Iran game. Not good.
                      sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Working...
                      X