Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just returned from Iran, and have a funny football related anecdote to tell you all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just returned from Iran, and have a funny football related anecdote to tell you all.

So, my cousin Ali is playing in a small club in Tehran, he is 16 years old. He invites me to his practice, and they let an old man like me join in their practice.

Funny thing is, my cousin is wearing a Naft Tehran jersey. I asked him about it, and he told me this interesting story.

My cousin is a skilled footballer for his age, and apparently a few Tehran teams approached him to join their youth academies when he was 11-12 years old. But, unlike most European academies, instead of paying him to play football, they asked my cousin to pay them $500 to join Naft's youth squad.

Fair enough, he dreams to be a footballer, and my aunt and uncle have money, so they pay for it.

Fast forward a few months, and he is playing against Persepolis youth team. After the match, a Persepolis official comes to him, and tells him that if he pays the official $15,000 USD, they can get him into Persepolis, and when people Google his name, they will see that he plays for Persepolis!!

I laughed out loud. He was laughing too. Soon after, he quit Naft's youth academy, as he saw how corrupt the whole development system in Iran can be. I never would have thought that some of the jokes here of players paying their ways onto good teams in Iran would turn out to be true, but from my cousin himself, I heard this. Some of his teammates also echoed similar situations of being asked for money to join youth academies.

Should IPL teams be asking young players to pay them to join the team? Shouldn't they make the system closer to Barcelona or any professional environment where players are brought in based on potential and not their abilities to pay? Shouldn't the clubs pay the players who go out and work hard for the teams? It seems kind of ridiculous to me, and thought it would be a funny story to share.

And now we know the reason why we go through talent droughts...

Comment

That's really sad.

Comment

Are you really surprised mate?
        Anegohi (Ghalenoei) asks player for money to line them up lol.
        This is Iran.
        My own brother who was supposed to play at Persepolis youth, was told at the very first day: go and vitis this guy and he will make you 5 years younger
        IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali.Karimi79 View Post
          Are you really surprised mate?
          Anegohi (Ghalenoei) asks player for money to line them up lol.
          This is Iran.
          My own brother who was supposed to play at Persepolis youth, was told at the very first day: go and vitis this guy and he will make you 5 years younger
          Wow, that is some corruption if I've ever seen it. Our football suffers from this behavior.

At least Hossein Kaebi is currently 18 years old with these magic Iranian youth providers.

Comment

Sad state of affairs.

If we want Iran to correct, we need to expose the corrupt people and the system that permits it.

Thanks for sharing this story. I will make sure to talk about it. The more we talk about it, the better for Iran's football to get rid of corrupt people.

There should be a better way to attract young and talented players.

Feradoon Zandi also mentioned they asked him for money to let him play for Esteghlal. So it is NOT only the youth team or players. The whole system is corrupt.
            چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Welcome to Iran, where everyone is in it for themselves and everyone is just looking to make a quick buck.
              "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

fml, what joke. such dalal's.

Comment

probably how Khatibi made it to team melli

Comment

Daily life in Iran, unfortunately no surprise. However despite this corruption we are still on top of Asia and can threat the best of the world on a good day as well. Now imagine what our team would be capable of if the talents would actually get some support and don’t have to pay their way up..,

That's why I can only laugh and make fun of people who claim Iran has no talents, the dumbest comment when it comes to talking about Iranian football!
                    Formerly known as Persianking!
                    Follow me @
                    instagram/iranscout
                    instagram/nariman_iranscout

Comment

That's sad.

Comment

Oh now I know why khatibi and enayati kept on playing all those years
                        WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Wait, you and others really didn't know this existed?!

That's more shocking!!

It's been widely reported and we've had threads on it!

Even our sponsors are brought with dallals!
                          راه یکی است و آن راستی است

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
                            Oh now I know why khatibi and enayati kept on playing all those years

Comment

i learned over the last 10-15 years that sadly enough no level of corruption in Iran should surprise you.
                              I don't put any corrupt act past Iranians that have been raised in Iran over the last 38 yrs. No level of DOZDI, DOROOGH, and backwardness is enough. Todays Iran puts Afghanistan and Pakistan and Yaman to shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X