Why Mehdi Mahdavikia is Iran's greatest footballing legend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Pouya View Post
    The one thing I'm quite sad about his career is how fast he declined, he left hamburg by 29 and remember he didn't get much playing time in Frankfurt and we all know Iran was his retirement home and that sad last game at Perspolis but nevertheless he was amazing at his peak.
    i think since his career started so young. 18

you only got some many years of football in your body. so if u start at 16 ur gonna decline faster (wayne rooney)
    Original Ehsan of IK ISP and PFDC from 1999/2000!

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
      I have lots of respect for Kia but he didn't have a legendary career in TM level. Yes he had few great games(China, USA, Iraq) but it is not like he was on the same page as Daei, and few others when it comes to TM.
      However he had a decent career in Europe better than Daei even.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

I think he did. He performed on the greatest stage in the bigger games where others didn't: The 1998 world cup, the 2006 world cup (assist, the only actual attacking outlet for two games), the 2004 asian cup.

Comment

kia is the best overall iranian player in europe.professional player and a great guy

Comment

If Iran had one single player who was as close to a professional footballer it was Dejagah. He was a solid player at wolfsburg and even showed himself in the premier league with fulham. Heck, he even had a killer mentality. If you watch his highlights once more,you would notice this fact with the way he attacked and even his celebrations.
          and even he was a product of german youth levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Galactika View Post
            If Iran had one single player who was as close to a professional footballer it was Dejagah. He was a solid player at wolfsburg and even showed himself in the premier league with fulham. Heck, he even had a killer mentality. If you watch his highlights once more, the way he attacked and even his celebrations you would notice this fact.
            And even he was a product of german youth academies.
            Mahdavikia, Hashemian, Jahanbakhsh, Rezaei (Kaveh), Nekounam,... all had really good professional attitudes throughout their career in Europe.

Mahdavikia in particular was very reselient and determined. In the 2004-05 or 2005-06 season he got benched and Thomas Doll was giving him no playing time. The media kept trying to portray it as if Kia is angry or ungrateful, but he said he wants to fight for his spot and continued to train hard. Eventually he started making some substitute appearances and he really made the most of the few minutes he was getting. Eventually the fans were begging Doll to let Kia start. Kia made his way back and was probably HSV's best player in 2004-05 and 2005-06.

Comment

If Iran had one single player who was as close to a professional footballer it was Dejagah. He was a solid player at wolfsburg and even showed himself in the premier league with fulham. Heck, he even had a killer mentality. If you watch his highlights once more,you would notice this fact with the way he attacked and even his celebrations.
              and even he was a product of german youth levels.
              really random post in a thread about Mahdavikia.

But yeah, dejagah was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                Disagree! Nekounam was at least on par!
                Debatable again with Nekounam and his performance against Bordeaux and Real Madrid!
                It's good that you like a player! but the GREATEST footballing legend is a bit of an emotional comment.
                I agree with his work since quitting though!
                Yes, I agree!

Nekounam i'd say is on par, because he captained Osasuna in La Liga, while it was clearly the strongest league in the world (Guadriola Barcelona days).

He was MASSIVELY influential in bringing this team from near relegation to the Europa League!

He scored some AMAZING goals in La liga, while being a defensive midfielder, and as soon as he left Osasuna, they went way back downhill again.

He lasted about 7 seasons with Osasuna, and performed big in all competitions, even for Iran at the 2006 world cup and 2014 world cup. - Osasuna even brought him back for a season after he went to Kuwait, just to help them while they struggled that season.

Not to mention his important goals for Iran against South Korea, and other big performances in big matches for Team Melli.

He may have peaked during a time when our football was on a decline, but that doesn't take away from his performances. It's really hard to separate him and Mahdavikia.

Comment

I think when it comes to World figure, Ali Daie is number #1, but Mahdavikia is great human being.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUKabP3zTI

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                    really random post in a thread about Mahdavikia.
                    But yeah, dejagah was good.
                    you must've freaked out when you read it?

Comment

you must've freaked out when you read it?
                      Not really

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                        Not really

what? I'm not a queiroz basher!
                        Plus, I'm not offended by that meme.

Comment

Working...
                        X