Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is better? A higher FIFA Ranking for seeding purposes, or more friendlies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is better? A higher FIFA Ranking for seeding purposes, or more friendlies?

Sorry to make a new thread on this, as I'm not quite sure which existing thread could house this question. So, I was reading on the reddit soccer forum that the nation of Wales will be 4th in the world in the next FIFA Ranking. Many people were calling the rankings bs and whatnot, but many were alleging that some European teams "game the system," by avoiding friendly matches. Here is one explanation:

"While consistent competitive victories are obviously of primary importance, a nation can greatly improve their ranking purely by not playing international friendlies. Switzerland were essentially seeded in the draw for the World Cup finals as they played fewer friendlies than Italy.
    Friendlies are worth far fewer ranking points than competitive fixtures, so much so that most teams will reduce their score just by playing the game even if they win. This is because most friendly victories are worth less than a team's average score, which in turn means the average score is reduced in the next ranking."

So, this is basically saying that a team has an average baseline score, created by their previous matches. Often, a friendly match can have a score that is lower than the average, even if you win the match, and that ends up hurting your overall score and ranking.

I think we can see why Iran is currently #1 in Asia, despite not making it to the AC 2015 finals, and not necessarily winning many big matches. We play less friendlies than all of the other Asian powerhouses. I always thought it was strange that Iran would gain points in the rankings when we didn't have a friendly, but our major Asian competition would lose points.

So, my question is posed here, would you rather Iran play more friendlies and possibly move down to a lower ranking (thus being placed in possibly tougher groups in the final round of WCQ/AC), or would you rather we consciously play less friendlies to ensure our top seeding?

It sounds like an easy decision to play more friendlies, but if you guys remember, just based on their record in friendlies against top ranked teams after the World Cup, for a little while, Australia was ranked really low. Luckily, they hosted the AC to get a top seed, but if they weren't the host, they may have been a 3rd seed, and there could have been a group of Iran, Japan, and Australia.

I think friendlies are always important, but it's possible that we are currently very high in the rankings by gaming the system like Wales.

Would you rather Iran go down Australia's path of playing teams like Italy, Netherlands, Spain, etc. in frequent friendlies and moving down to 6th or 7th place in Asia, or do you prefer that we not play friendlies and stay as #1?

I would say more friendlies, since we can gain more experience and still make our way to the top. South Korea and Japan have both been at the top of Asian ranking while still having a lot of friendly matches, and I believe we can do the same thing too.

Comment

good points, i think we need to have a balance, play the likes of sweden, chile, italy...etc, play the likes of australia, japan, turkey, s.korea, romania...etc and play the likes of uzbekistan, guinea, oman, uae, new zealand. if we can have a mixture of those 3 groups it will be perfect because we have a good chance of getting good match experience against great opposition and maintaining our ranking

Comment

More friendlies. Its more important for our players to gain more exposure on the field especially when playing international games at an official tournament. We have to be prepared, and the best way to do that is through friendlies. So what if we were placed in a tough group, at least our boys would have the experience needed to play the best of their potential in a game which is vital for the country.

Comment

More meaningful friendlies (not the like of vs Angola, Belarus, or South African pirates)

Comment

Working...
          X