Do I want CQ to continue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I want CQ to continue?

Without much preamble, lets get down to the bone of it.

Well, he has some good points and a couple of negative ones, imo.

Lets start with the positives first.
    1- He has brought a more professional atmosphere to the team, compared to what we used to see a decade ago. Now, it was bound to happen with passage of time and more contacts with the pro world. But I think he accelerated the process.

2- I am extremely and beyond doubt impressed with his preparatory regimen and programs. This is something undeniable. And all the more palpable as we have made such a drastic turn around from a team that used to fatigue midway through the second halves.
    His physical prep has really transformed our players into proper athletes our football had rarely seen. Hats off to him as he deserves all the praise for his work in this category.
    No wonder Sir Alex relied on him for so much of Man U's performances.

3- I also like how he deals with the outsiders, world media, opponent coaches and ... etc. Having been around for a few turns, he surely knows how to deal with the outside pressures and even turn the screw on them.
    I guess being famous and well known has the advantage of brazenness that we find lacking in our batani coaches.

4- I struggled to add this point, but on the balance I think it deserves to be mentioned ... although in my opinion, not as solid as the above points. He has turned one of Iranian football's greatest weaknesses, Defense, into something of an insurance ... at least against lower teams.
    I am not as convinced as some of you since I hesitate to judge and rule based on matches against smaller teams and would like to see us perform solidly against better and stronger teams to be fully convinced.
    And I'm not talking about mere parking the bus. I am talking about sensible defensive football that performs its (counter)attacking properly as well to show a balance in football.

5- discarding the age old "red & blue" stronghold on TM.

At the same time, I do have a couple of bones to pick with him.

1- Way too much insistence and emphasis on defensive football has turned us into a team that is uni-dimensional and has also affected the yang (offensive duties) of the yin that's defense. Too much Yin, and very little Yang.

If he stays, I'd really like to see some more one and adventure on his attitude.

2- The way he looks down on our football and treats it as if we're Guam.
    Absolutely not true. We do have quite a few talents that could have and still can help the team. He needs to discover Iran once again. And this time not through his TV set that focuses only on 2,3 clubs.
    With an attitude adjustment and a shift in philosophy, I am sure he can find quite a few gems that will complement the core of his team and provide alternatives and new options that will make TM into a formidable force in Asia.

Belittling Iranian players will not get him anywhere. This needs to stop.

3- And a smaller matter of his tendency to be ''populistic'' in his speech when he's in trouble. He should show more respect for the regular fan's intelligence.

Bottomline:
    On the whole, I think if he adjusts his philosophy and approach towards the game of football, given what he knows and what he is capable of, it would be good for Iran if he continued.
    But if he refuses to budge and still thinks his present approach is the only way he is capable of leading, and the only thing he knows, then maybe a change may work best for both parties.

Given what IFF has paid him, I am very confident we can hire other coaches just as famous and expert as CQ to take the helm. And this is the best time, since the next big thing in Asia (WCQ's) is a long way off anyway.

Now, on to the game and a peculiar issue that has been nagging me, especially after a second viewing of the game.

After Pouladi got his marching orders, we got hit exactly on our let side. Aside from the horrible angle of Haghighi who by any account should not have allowed that ball in, Hajsafi's feeble tackle also didn't help. But that's besides my point. The point is our left flank got exposed after the red card.

Any coach would first try to mend this zone, especially since we were already ahead. So the priority was our left back.
    CQ's remedy was to bring Hajsafi back. Not the worst decision as he's been tried at LB before..... But also record shows he hasn't been that successful in DEFENDING.
    And having an experienced defender, Sadeghi, at hand may have been a better option. Especially when you fall a man short IN DEFENSE, a little experience would go a long way in bringing back some control and sense to a stressful situation.
    But anyway, at the time Hajsafi option was the most ready solution.

By second goal, which came, again from the left flank and again, Hajsafi's poor defending/marking should have raised the alarm bells ... in even amateurish coaches, let alone supposed int'lly renowned ones.
    But still no change and CQ fails to react to this alarm a second time.

His ignorance of the issue became moot by the third goal ... that, surprise, surprise, came off our left flank .... AGAIN!
    You'd expect any coach to notice something wrong, even if he missed it the first time. The second time makes it hard to forgive. But the third? That's just downright pathetic.

So all the fans ought to know what we're insisting on. Certainly not this all knowing, immensely capable and highly expert coach that some paint him out to be.

Comment

Then I come across this little news bit and it made our game even more poignant and depressing.

شکست تلخ مارسی در مقابل نیس 10 نفره

مارسي در هفته 22 لوشامپيونه، فرصت پيشي گرفتن از ليون و پس گرفتن صدر جدول را با شکست 2-1 مقابل تيم نيس از دست داد.

And Marseille is actually a contender for the championship!

Even more depressing is that some people think just because you lose a man, you automatically are stripped of the ability to win in normal time!!!!! For this to happen, you have to have self belief and a sound attacking strategy.
      I'm not sure if we had these!

Comment

Yes he should continue but somewhere else.
        He was a wrong choice for Iran.
        In a respectful manner he should be thanked for his service and let go.

For now, they have to find a way to pay him. IFF still owe him and it was understood he will be paid from FIFA money, but that has not materialized.
        It is waste of time and money to continue with him. TM need new direction, starting all over again. I think when he leave, best choice is Foulad Coach Dragon.

Comment

^ agreed, or the janitor of Aftabehsazi Ghazvin. With either of them we wouldn't have only qualified for WC quarter-finals easily, but also routed Iraq 7-0 with one man down.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
            ^ agreed, or the janitor of Aftabehsazi Ghazvin. With either of them we wouldn't have only qualified for WC quarter-finals easily, but also routed Iraq 7-0 with one man down.
            You don't make any sense , not one of your best.
            You let your anger, frustration get ahead of your best judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
              Mate, you see ... when people resort to exaggeration or silly remarks to thwart or oppose a sensible post, it shows they really don't have much of a case

Comment

That's what I felt about his post, hence the stupid reply.

Comment

Not to bust your balls here, but has there been a single coach you've been happy with over the last two decades? Your expectations of our coaches far exceed the actual talent level / abilities of the team. I'd say we're now witnessing the least talented Iranian side of the last 20 years - what exactly do you want him to do with this squad?

Anyways, we'd be absolutely insane not to keep him. I can't even believe we're having this debate right now. Anyhow, reasons:

a) We simply find ways to win. I don't give a sh*t about "attractive", "attacking" football - I care about a) making it the world cup however we can and b) putting in a good showing in the Asian Cup (top 4). Queroz's sides find ways to win - be it ugly or otherwise. And don't throw the Iraq game back in my face - a) I don't want to talk about it and b) we all know what happened there.

b) Physical preparation. Our players can seemingly run for 180 minutes without tiring. I have never seen an Iranian side conditioned in this way before.

c) Attitude. We're fighters. We fight till the last second. None of this self-pity, mental breakdown crap that we're used to seeing with Iranian squads - the "aww poor us, we're unfairly down to 10 men and are losing the game - let's just fold, and potentially start a few fights".

d) I contest that Iran played it's best ever football game in its history against Argentina - result aside, it put us on the map. Queroz deserves 75% of the credit for his tactical genius that game.

e) He genuinely seems to believe in us - it's not just about the paycheque. And I believe the fact that he actually cares about the state of football in Iran means he'll go above and beyond to start building the infrastructure for success over the next few years.

f) As stated above, this isn't the Daei / Azizi / Bagheri era - this is the nobody era. He's made the best with what he has at his disposal - and heck, we actually look like a team working toward a cohesive plan (defensive / counter-attacking).

g) He has balls. He puts pressure on the IFF - hits them where it hurts in the media every so often to keep them on their toes.
                  Last edited by faraz; 01-24-2015, 08:52 AM.
                  We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

I don't always agree with St Mark, but I appreciate the diversity of opinion. He is very passionate about Team Melli.

Come on gents, play the ball, not the man.
                    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

I think a lot of importance is being placed on "caring about Iran" and "our football" by both sides of the argument.

He's good for now as long as he doesn't get complacent. I believe the next area of improvement is our counter-attacking. We're not lethal and we need to be if we're going to defend for so long.
                      Ma Bishomarim

"!خدایا ایستاده مردن را نصبیم کن که از نشسته زیستن در زلت خسته ام"
                      محمد مختاری -

"Lord, let me die standing, as I am tired of living in indignity and on my knees"
                      - Mohammad Mokhtari

Comment

The reason, domestic coaches keep critisizng CQ, is because, they have been embarreased badly by CQ...

Comment

WC Result.

Argentina 3 3 0 0 6 3 +3 9
                          Nigeria 3 1 1 1 3 3 0 4
                          Bosnia 3 1 0 2 4 4 0 3
                          Iran 3 0 1 2 1 4 −3 1

AC Result.

ردیف تیم ها بازی برد مساوی باخت گل زده گل خورده تفاضل گل امتیاز مقام
                          1 استرالیا 6 5 0 1 12 3 9 15 قهرمان
                          2 کره جنوبی 6 5 0 1 6 2 4 15 نایب قهرمان
                          3 امارات 6 3 1 2 10 8 2 10 سوم
                          4 عراق 6 2 1 3 8 9 1- 7 چهارم
                          5 ژاپن 4 3 1 0 8 1 7 10 حذف در مرحله یک چهارم نهایی
                          6 ایران 4 3 1 0 7 3 4 10 حذف در مرحله یک چهارم نهایی
                          7 چین 4 3 0 1 5 4 1 9 حذف در مرحله یک چهارم نهایی
                          8 ازبکستان 4 2 0 2 5 5 0 6 حذف در مرحله یک چهارم نهایی

Comment

Simply quoting the Asian Cup result without any mention of how we were terribly wronged by the referee is disingenuous.
                            Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginG Inferno View Post
                              Simply quoting the Asian Cup result without any mention of how we were terribly wronged by the referee is disingenuous.
                              We always have someone to blame, don't we? It's either the coach, or a player, or a referee.
                              Pouladi dived, and he got a yellow card. Tough luck. That's football. It happens all the time, everywhere in the world.
                              We just happen to be overly hurt, as usual, because everyone has an agenda to protect someone. In this case everyone wants to protect CQ and any sort of criticism, other than the nonsense from select few media outlets, is crucified and if you're going against CQ in these forums you become the villain.
                              He hasn't delivered results, as simple as that; St. Mark is highlighting that, nothing 'disingenuous' about it.

quick edit: sorry RaginG jan, I didn't mean it to sound like a personal attack on you (because it isn't one); I'm frustrated is all.
                              Ma Bishomarim

"!خدایا ایستاده مردن را نصبیم کن که از نشسته زیستن در زلت خسته ام"
                              محمد مختاری -

"Lord, let me die standing, as I am tired of living in indignity and on my knees"
                              - Mohammad Mokhtari

Comment

Working...
                              X