• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Galactika View Post
    the link doesn't open up for me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOOgTuRiQY&t=2502s

Try now.
    I will update the original link.

Comment

Why did Talebi replace Tomislav Ivic right before the 1998 World Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by mahestan View Post
        Why did Talebi replace Tomislav Ivic right before the 1998 World Cup?
        It has never been confirmed, but some of the players conspired against Ivic due to his tactics and physical conditioning regimen. TM lost very badly to AS Roma and that was all the excuse IFF needed as well.
        Talebi had already been forced onto the team by IFF so poor ole Ivic had very little time left.
        Make no mistake, without Ivic, our team would not have been ready at all in WC 98.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
          It has never been confirmed, but some of the players conspired against Ivic due to his tactics and physical conditioning regimen. TM lost very badly to AS Roma and that was all the excuse IFF needed as well.
          Talebi had already been forced onto the team by IFF so poor ole Ivic had very little time left.
          Make no mistake, without Ivic, our team would not have been ready at all in WC 98.
          I was actually just watching a documentary on this. The players all deny they intentionally underperformed to get rid of Ivic. It was more of the IFF not wanting a foreigner as coach after finally making the World Cup after 20 years. Talebi was originally brought in as a technical advisor although everyone including Ivic knew it was just a stepping stone to becoming coach. That's why Ivic constantly clashed with Talebi.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
            What about vieira? I never got the story with him either - we qualified with him as the coach, why wasn’t he kept?
            Team Meli Iran
            Perspolis FC
            Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
              What about vieira? I never got the story with him either - we qualified with him as the coach, why wasn’t he kept?
              You read my mind my friend. Vieira took over after Mayeli Kohan and had a huge uphill battle.

Comment

Originally posted by mahestan View Post
                You read my mind my friend. Vieira took over after Mayeli Kohan and had a huge uphill battle.
                According to the players he wasn't much of a coach. His instructions at halftime were "Go out there and try to win." and nothing else.
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                  According to the players he wasn't much of a coach. His instructions at halftime were "Go out there and try to win." and nothing else.

Daaaaang. In that case I can be a coach. Where do I sign up?

Comment

With all this free time at home I've resumed writing Iran's soccer history. I had stopped after the 1994 Asian Games. I'm currently at the Melbourne match. Three things that came to my mind: 1) Where the hell was our defense 30 seconds into the match where they had a 1v1 with Abedzadeh? In fact the lone defender there suddenly runs away from the play towards a player without the ball. 2) Abedzadeh really sold his own foul where he kneed Harry Kewell and then dropped himself on the ground, earning Kewell a yellow card. The entire stadium was chanting bullshit to the call and if I wasn't Iranian I would too. 3) I'm still not convinced Azizi wasn't offside when he made the assist to Bagheri. He was on the endline when he received the ball that came off of our player (I think it's Daei). From the main angle it looks like it hits an Australian after Daei but from the angle looking from our half it doesn't look like it did. Actually Azizi himself claims he was offside.
                    2) Yep, that was a great acting from Abedzadeh. It certainly wasn't a foul and yellow card.
                    3) The player that touches the ball is Tahami, Daei is standing right next to Bagheri in front of goal. It was 100% offside and I am positively surprised how it wasn't called. One of the rare referee decisions in our favor.

Comment

With all this free time at home I've resumed writing Iran's soccer history. I had stopped after the 1994 Asian Games. I'm currently at the Melbourne match. Three things that came to my mind: 1) Where the hell was our defense 30 seconds into the match where they had a 1v1 with Abedzadeh? In fact the lone defender there suddenly runs away from the play towards a player without the ball. 2) Abedzadeh really sold his own foul where he kneed Harry Kewell and then dropped himself on the ground, earning Kewell a yellow card. The entire stadium was chanting bullshit to the call and if I wasn't Iranian I would too. 3) I'm still not convinced Azizi wasn't offside when he made the assist to Bagheri. He was on the endline when he received the ball that came off of our player (I think it's Daei). From the main angle it looks like it hits an Australian after Daei but from the angle looking from our half it doesn't look like it did. Actually Azizi himself claims he was offside.
                      1) I just watched the game on Youtube to see the first 30 seconds you mention of. The defender you speak of, I can't make out his number in the grainy footage, seems to think the ball is going to go through AUS #10 Aurelio Vidmar. Our player's decision making, granted it was a split second decision, was extremely poor since at that moment he had no other help and should've gone toward the ball instead of anticipating where it's going to end up.

Comment

I think it was Ebrahim Tahami, not Daei.

One highlight of the game to me was Abedzadeh’s “one hand corner save” ala basketball style in the early hours of the game.
                        CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

this thread is already called "go random" but I wanna take it to the next level of randomness.
                          Anyone has an idea why the video tape from the match between Iran and China (4-2, with famous goal of Mahdavikia) has a kinda wave like sound in the background? Is it the crowd chanting?? Because the stadium has fierce looks to it even though it doesn't show much of the surroundings. China is scary af.

Comment

Now that I think about it, it might be simply the noise of the recording device of those times..

Comment

Our 2000 AC team seemed to be a good blend of the old team and the newcomers. But I think that in itself caused it to act as two separate camps. We had players like Mahdavikia, Minavand, Bagheri, Estili, Azizi, and Daei on one side and Boroumand, Kavianpour, Hasheminasab, Karimi and Hashemian on the other.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X