No announcement yet.

Follow Ali Karimi | The Wizard Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes i still cant believe he has retired, although its been a year already.
    Without a doubt the best iranian play ive ever seen. Should been one of the worlds best.
    Zandi few years ago said that Karimi should be amongst the worlds best and Mahdavikia when once asked by HSV website whos the world most technikal player, replied Ronaldinho but after him its
    my fellow countrymen Ali Karimi (this was before Karimi
    went to Bayern).
    Even Daei said on Navad that "Karimi without a doubt is the best iranian football player of all time."
    So really its not only us fans who think he didnt become what he should have.
    Bless our wizard may he always stay happy and healthy in his life

Comment

I miss seeing him play a lot. I am so lucky that I got to see him in action in Azadi before he retired. True legend.
      --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
      --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
      ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
      --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
      ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

I can almost guarantee that had he been playing against Argentina and Nigeria last summer we would've won both games. one can only pray that we'll see someone that Ben remotely resembles the guy.....truly a once in a lifetime talent.
        Team Meli Iran
        Perspolis FC
        Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

I think he would have done great especially against Argentina. Its such a shame a player like him only appeared in one WC and that only 2 matches while not fully fit. It still hurts that we missed the 2002 WC. Im almost sure he would ve been signed by a top club afterwards.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pVPFtz08Ts

Aue vs Bayern 05/06 full match (Karimi starting).
            Very rare video

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
              I can almost guarantee that had he been playing against Argentina and Nigeria last summer we would've won both games. one can only pray that we'll see someone that Ben remotely resembles the guy.....truly a once in a lifetime talent.
              CQ was a complete Fool for leaving AK8 and Sardar out of our World Cup 14 squad..!!
              he shoulda taken at least 1 of the 2, or probably both instead of bunch kiri quality, half-injured Defensive players, like beykzadeh, khanzadeh, alenemeh, beitashour, even an in-shit-form at the time Hadadifar..!!

and he/we paid fully for that dumb mistake, by becoming completely handicapped when needing impactful offense from the bench..!
              Id never forgive him for that dumb fking ignorant mistake..!

Comment

Originally posted by ShiroKhorshid View Post

Very rare video

So sad.

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                  ..instead of bunch kiri quality..

Comment

Just watched the 1st half and Karimi assisted Ballacks goal which was wrongfully called offside in minute 37.
                    Good old memories cant believe a decade has passed already.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiroKhorshid View Post

Very rare video
                      must have been a cup semi or QFinal..???i think thats the year they won the Cup..!!?
                      AK8 didnt look too sharp in that game..!! very uncharacteristic from him to have some many sloppy missed passes, fall on his ass nearly every time getting challenged and almost gave away a silly pk...!!

same year i think he was brilliant in both home and away matches in Champions League group stages vs AC Milan..!! i'd love to see those game again if anyone could dig'em up..!!?
                      AK Always turn up a mighty performance everytime he faced AC..!! I believe that was his childhood favorite EU club..?? so he would try hard to impress in matches vs them, hoping they come looking for him..!!

Comment

Yeah i think it was the early rounds of German Cup and until the minute i watched when Karimi was subbed off, the whole Bayern team played shit not only him. At least he assisted a regular goal
                        But anyways i would do everything to watch the whole Leverkusen - Bayern
                        match where he scored and assisted. He was brilliant that day. I remember we had a member here that once wanted to upload that match for us??
                        I also had the full Bayern - Rapid CL match until few years ago where he scored that beautiful goal. Unfortunately dont know what i did with it

Comment

Are people still discussing Karimi and the 2014 World Cup? Karimi was in no position to be a part of the squad nor would his inclusion have guaranteed anything against Nigeria or Argentina.

Comment

CQ did well in the whole scheme of things with our WC..!! but he went Way Too defense heavy and didn't plan nearly enough for needing offense with that chosen final squad..!!!

unless, there is a obvious disciplinary reason, you simply don't leave behind very Rare, Clearly Superior overall offensive footballer to instead tag-along an obviously Injured, useless waste of squad ke faghat moshtaaghesh koni or adding at their best, only Average defensive player as 2-3rd cover for a defensive position at their expense..!!

AK8 although tiring towards the end of the club season that year, woulda been an immense, well experienced, high profile offensive weapon to be brought on late in desperation times, he had still plenty in the tank to handle himself in short spells and the CLASS required to hit the ground running upon entry vs Any opponent at that level..!

leaving Azmoun behind was another very foolish mistake..!! any goo zoo with even a tad bit of football know-how, coulda noticed his Offensive Prowess and clear Superiority to anyone on our frontline from watching him play 15 minutes @ Kazan..!! he proved it in WC camps..! yet got left behind for some unknown Bs reason..(may be the cliche "too young" reason..?) for some weak-ass, way outa their depth at that level ANOTHER Defensive Cover..!!

Carlos rid by leaving these 2 gems at home

vasalaam naame tamom

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                              CQ did well in the whole scheme of things with our WC..!! but he went Way Too defense heavy and didn't plan nearly enough for needing offense with that chosen final squad..!!!

unless, there is a obvious disciplinary reason, you simply don't leave behind very Rare, Clearly Superior overall offensive footballer to instead tag-along an obviously Injured, useless waste of squad ke faghat moshtaaghesh koni or adding at their best, only Average defensive player as 2-3rd cover for a defensive position at their expense..!!

AK8 although tiring towards the end of the club season that year, woulda been an immense, well experienced, high profile offensive weapon to be brought on late in desperation times, he had still plenty in the tank to handle himself in short spells and the CLASS required to hit the ground running upon entry vs Any opponent at that level..!

leaving Azmoun behind was another very foolish mistake..!! any goo zoo with even a tad bit of football know-how, coulda noticed his Offensive Prowess and clear Superiority to anyone on our frontline from watching him play 15 minutes @ Kazan..!! he proved it in WC camps..! yet got left behind for some unknown Bs reason..(may be the cliche "too young" reason..?) for some weak-ass, way outa their depth at that level ANOTHER Defensive Cover..!!

Carlos rid by leaving these 2 gems at home

vasalaam naame tamom
                              Being the coach means making tough decisions - especially when it comes to the squad selection for major tournaments. I'll start with the easier case (Azmoun), then move on to Karimi.

In Azmoun's case, he was getting more minutes with Rubin towards the end of the season and scored several goals. This alone led him to being invited to the Team Melli camps in Austria. As we've seen since the Asian Cup, Azmoun clearly has fitness issues. When he did have a chance to shine before the World Cup, he had to be stretchered off in a friendly after 10 minutes due to breathing problems.

As opposed to Jahanbakhsh who hit the ground running in Holland and got his Team Melli invited back in October/November 2013, Azmoun had zero synergy with the team. His fitness was questionable and whether or not he could fit within CQ's system was yet to be determined. As opposed to the IPL philosophy of tossing in new players in day 1, CQ gives players their chances and moves them into the first team slowly. If Azmoun is starting for us now, it's a decision that was made following 5 months of evaluation in camps between August 2014 - December 2014.

In a 1 striker system, we only need Gucci + one backup. With Ansarifard having a decent season in Teraktor as well as his experience in Team Melli, he was a much more appropriate candidate at the time. One of the weakest aspects of Iranians in sports is psychology (an area which CQ has been addressing since his arrival). To expect a 19 year old Azmoun to enter his 2nd or 3rd international game against the likes of Nigeria, Argentina, or Bosnia and be our savior is wishful thinking. It's certainly not impossible but to think that his exclusion wasn't without justification is a mistake.

The next case is Karimi. Again, people need to stop living in a dream world to think that he would have been our savior. Karimi was coming up on 35 at the time and as you mentioned, the IPL season was already having its toll on him. As great as his vision is, fitness was also imperative to the game plan we were deploying. Every player had to be ready to play both offensively and defensively. It's no joke that a team that usually burns out by the 65th minute outran all three of their opponents in the World Cup. Even in his best days, Karimi was not a player you'd see running all over the pitch. In the counter-attacking game plan, Karimi doesn't have the time to slowly move with the ball and think of the best option (like in the IPL). Even in this thread, most of these highlights are of Karimi in 2004 - 2006 when he was 25 - 27.

God forbid that we're 0-0 with Argentina in the 80th minute and we bring in Karimi and end up losing. Suddenly, CQ would have become public enemy #1 for taking such a risk at a critical point in the match. In any case, CQ did pick a back-up playmaker - Bakhtiar Rahmani - who captained Foulad to the IPL championship. He also had an EPL-quality Dejagah who could shift between RW and CAM.

To be a part of the squad, you needed to meet the standards and fitness was one of them. Whether you're Karimi, Nekounam, Hosseini, or Ando, you don't get a free pass because you're only going to be needed - at most - for 20-25 minutes per game. You go to the World Cup ready to play 90 minutes of high intensity football.

Then there's the simple fact that Karimi retired from the national right before the qualifiers in June 2013. It was during the time that Karimi was away that CQ was able to find the right formula and identity for Team Melli. When Karimi had his 3rd change of heart in regards to Team Melli, it was too late. Had he not made the impulsive decision to retire, he may have very well gone on to play in the World Cup.

At the end of the day, Karimi is a very emotional individual and despite his footballing brilliance when he's at his best, he can be just as equally toxic for the team (and himself). Not only did his actions cost him the World Cup, he tarnished his second chance after abandoning his post as assistant coach before the 2015 AFC Asian Cup.

Comment

Also, sorry for the essay. I don't always write posts but when I do, I go hardcore.

Comment

Working...
                                X