Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Postecoglou Fires up Socceroos with 1997 Heartache [Australia vs. Iran Flashback]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postecoglou Fires up Socceroos with 1997 Heartache [Australia vs. Iran Flashback]

"POSTECOGLOU FIRES UP SOCCEROOS WITH 1997 HEARTACHE

Coach Ange Postecoglou has used the most heart-breaking game in Australia's football history to drive his Socceroos towards 2015 AFC Asian Cup glory.
    Source: AAP
    15 NOV 2014

Postecoglou treated his squad to a video session with a difference in Osaka on Thursday night by showing a documentary about the demoralising 1997 FIFA World Cup qualifying failure against Iran.

Ahead 2-0 in the second half at a packed MCG, a star-studded Australia outfit let a massive opportunity slip as Iran drew the final-leg of the qualifier with two away goals to steal a coveted 1998 World Cup berth.

Many of the current Socceroos had never seen highlights of the match, let alone hear the bitter memories of their big-name predecessors who have battled to move on.

"It was really eye opening," said goalkeeper Mat Ryan, who was just five years-old at the time. "I hadn't seen that footage before.

"I didn't realise how close they'd gone to qualifying for the World Cup.

"You could just see the effects that it still has on some players."

Postecoglou chose to show the documentary ahead of Australia's final warm-up, against Japan on Tuesday night, before hosting the Asian Cup in the new year.

It also continues the coach's desire for his players to appreciate the Socceroos who came before them and the huge opportunity coming up on home soil.

Australia meets its biggest Asian rival as a rank underdog in Osaka after sliding to its worst ranking of 94 in the world after last month's 1-0 loss to Qatar and goalless draw with UAE.

Japan, the defending Asian champion, currently sits at 52 after coming off a 4-0 loss to Brazil.

But Ryan's former Central Coast teammate Trent Sainsbury, set to play his fourth international, painted a precise picture of the challenge that awaits - rating it a more difficult prospect than his debut game, when beaten 2-0 by Belgium in September.

"Japan at home, with their quality players, will be just as hard, maybe even tougher," said defender Sainsbury.

"We can't think about the Asian Cup coming up. If the boys start to get scared we are running out of time we will be our own worst enemy.""

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/artic...1997-heartache

mashallah bacheha

Comment

I kinda felt for these guys when I remembered the sad moments when we were eliminated against Ireland 4 years later.

Comment

Man i remember that game vividly, i was 14 years old at the time. I think the way they lost was what made it so painful to them since they where better in game, the draw came out of nowhere to them (we Iranians know it was because of the oustanding individual quality of Azizi, Bagheri and Daei). Winning and losing is a part of the game, 4 years later it was us who falied to make it to the world cup, you have to be as good as a winner as a loser to grow as a team.

Comment

For all the glory that night in Melbourne brought us, the loss to Bahrain and Ireland in Dublin in 2001 washed all that momentum away. Had team melli qualified to a successive world cup with that talented squad, it would have changed the course of Iranian football history..

The entire nation was football crazy from 1998-2001. People were still excited about our world cup performances. Had we gone to the World Cup in 2002, Nekounam would have gone to Europe 4 years earlier, and Karimi would have been picked up too. What a damn shame!

Comment

I was 6 years old at the time and remember how much fun people were having in the streets. Good times

Comment

I traveled to Melbourne with my father and was in the stadium, sitting in my TM gear by dead smack in the middle of Australian fans. While they were 2-0 up they were singing chanting as soon as that 2nd goal was scored I've never heard such silence. We basically killed football in Australia until 2006 when Australia qualified against Uruguay.

Comment

As soon as Tahami was subbed in, we scored two goals, and as soon as he was subbed off (all within abt. 12 mins or so lol) we stopped scoring.
                Funny enough he had his touches on the ball for the first goal and also his share that created Marc Bosnic's shoot out, that resulted in Azizi's second goal.
                So, one can say, statistically Tahami was the match winner lol came in for about 12 mins, did the job and was subbed out! LOL
                CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
                  As soon as Tahami was subbed in, we scored two goals, and as soon as he was subbed off (all within abt. 12 mins or so lol) we stopped scoring.
                  Funny enough he had his touches on the ball for the first goal and also his share that created Marc Bosnic's shoot out, that resulted in Azizi's second goal.
                  So, one can say, statistically Tahami was the match winner lol came in for about 12 mins, did the job and was subbed out! LOL
                  Ebi joon confirms!
                  IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

I swear thats the most legendary interview i ever heard!

Comment

Originally posted by iiiiiiiran View Post
                      I swear thats the most legendary interview i ever heard!
                      indeed the most epic part was when Tahami said he dribbled 14-15 players in one game and Adel asked how the hell is that possible?
                      Tahami said the first ones came back ke dobareh dribble bokhoran. terekidam be khoda
                      IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Yeah thats definately the most funny part, also where he says "agar tarifi nabashe man dige fekr nemikonam bazikoni mesle man biyad"

Actually when you think about it its somehow sad that a former NT player makes a fool out of himself infront of milions but he has a lovely face and seems to be a real fun person

Comment

Working...
                        X