Time to revamp the (Persian) Gulf Cup & let Iran join the party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to revamp the (Persian) Gulf Cup & let Iran join the party

Not long ago, the Gulf Cup taking place in Riyadh would surely have had Saudi Arabia marked as favourites. Fans in the Kingdom would not have contemplated any other outcome but victory over regional rivals on home soil.
    This time however, the United Arab Emirates look more likely given their form over the past 18 months or so. But should they, or anyone else, win the trophy, then it will be lifted in the knowledge that the field is not as strong as it could and perhaps should be.
    The Gulf Cup, currently containing eight Arab nations from West Asia, is fine as far as it goes but could be much better. Just change the name and get Iran involved. The tournament needs it, the Middle East needs it and Iran needs it.
    First Iran. It was generally agreed before the World Cup that getting to the second round for the first time was a very tall order especially given the team's preparations, or lack thereof.

Team Melli struggled for meaningful warm-up games, only really managing to find tests in the final weeks. This is not a one-off. Over the years, and for various reasons, Iran have struggled to arrange decent friendly games for their national team.
    What, then, could be better than a compact eight (or more) team tournament on Tehran's doorstep? The new Gulf Cup would offer genuine competitive action against determined rivals who would love nothing more than getting one over the Persians.
    What could be better than a final clash against Saudi Arabia or Iraq or even Bahrain, a team that is not well-liked by Iranian football fans? Better still, it happens every two years and would force the Iranian Football Federation to get its finger out and organise training camps and games in order to try and rule the regional roost.
    In a four year cycle, there would be the World Cup and qualification, the Asian Cup and qualification and two Gulf Cups. This would be ample competitive action, leaving less need to arrange lots of friendly games but rather focus on organising quality tests against non-Asian opposition.
    The main reason given as to Iran's absence is the name of the tournament, though as always, it is not quite as simple as that. The issue of what to call the Gulf is obviously a hugely sensitive one in regional politics and was always going to enter the football field. Iran call their professional league the Persian Gulf League. The UAE calls their league, the Arabian Gulf League.
    Iranian fans know more than most as to what happens when politics and politicians get their greasy hands on the beautiful game. Even to start discussing whether Iran should play would require a name change for the tournament but despite the entrenched attitudes, that really isn't such a big thing to ask.

Iran and Algeria have made the Middle East proud at this year's World Cup in Brazil. While Iran didn't progress to the knockout stage, Team Melli have plenty of reasons to feel accomplished, as they showed the world their best ever World Cup performance, after managing to (almost) stop Messi and Argentina. Meanwhile, Algeria made history as they qualified for the last 16 of a World Cup for the first time in their history after a 1-1 draw with Russia. The Desert Foxes were also very close to an extraordinary win over Germany, and have all the reasons to feel proud.

Iran usually play in the much lower key West Asian Football Federation Championships - although they did not in 2014 - but the Gulf Cup is a bigger and better deal. A neutral name would produce far more positives than negatives. It would be the best thing that could happen to the tournament.

A genuine continental giant would make it that much harder for the rest to win which, one hopes, can be seen by all as a good thing. It may be tough to get European stars released for the tournament but a growing number of Iranians are in the Middle East anyway.
    It would also lift the profile of the tournament. Let's be honest, outside the Arabic-speaking world, not a great deal of attention is paid to it. Get Iran in there and it is not only a bigger football competition but it will ensure that the media both inside the region and out keep a closer eye on what is going on. That's got to be good for sponsors, broadcasters and others and will ultimately be good for the region.
    It could even be the case that organisers could, like Copa America, invite a couple of teams from elsewhere to make it a 12-team competition, though that is something for the future.
    This time however, UAE will fancy their chances and there is a feeling that the team best suited to prevent that happening is the UAE themselves.
    There will be serious expectations back in Dubai and Abu Dhabi as the nation sends a talented team in great form to the Saudi capital. It is increasingly the case that wins are taken for granted and given the fact that there has been just one defeat in the past 20-plus games, that is not surprising.
    Playmaker Omar Abdulrahman has been shining in the Asian Champions League, coach Mahdi Ali has the team playing exactly the way he wants and the draw has not been bad. Iraq, Kuwait and Oman should not stop a place in the last four and then anything can happen.

UAE lifted the trophy, famously, on home soil in 2007 and then in Bahrain in 2013. Winning it again would really confirm The Whites' preeminence.
    Iraq have the talent, as usual, but are predictably unpredictable. The present situation in the country will not help at all while the Saudis can never be discounted on home soil.
    It should be an exciting and closely fought contest. It could be better though and would be better if Iran were involved.

https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/bl...58-soccer.html
    We are currently witnessing a revolution in Iranian football. Team Melli has never been stronger than it is today, and we will only get better.

Time to revamp this thread title & call it the Persian Gulf.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

No point. None of these Persian gulf countries can give us meaningful competition that we dont already get through AC and qualifications from them. If they change the name I would send our U21 or B team to the tournament....focus on central asia with uzbekistan because in 10 years uzbekistan might just do what Bosnia did to us at the WC.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
      Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Gulf of Mexico is too far for Iran to be a part of any competition there.

Comment

Time to revamp the Gulf Cup & let Iran join the party

DELETE THIS THREAD ,

ITS THE PERSIAN GULF CUP, AND IRANIANS ARE NOT INTERESTED TO PLAY IN A COMPETITION THAT IS MISUSING THE CORRECT TERM FOR ITS PERSIAN GULF

Sent from tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arseces View Post
            DELETE THIS THREAD ,

ITS THE PERSIAN GULF CUP, AND IRANIANS ARE NOT INTERESTED TO PLAY IN A COMPETITION THAT IS MISUSING THE CORRECT TERM FOR ITS PERSIAN GULF
            If you actually took a look at the article rather than making your judgement based on the title of the thread, you would see that Duerden suggests that the name of the championship be changed.
            Honestly, the arabs can name it whatever they want. We are not a part of it so we don't have a say as to what it should be called.
            He suggests that if Iran were to join, then we can reclaim the name of the championship as Persian Gulf Cup.

Next time read the article before you make a comment.
            We are currently witnessing a revolution in Iranian football. Team Melli has never been stronger than it is today, and we will only get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Javeed View Post
              If you actually took a look at the article rather than making your judgement based on the title of the thread, you would see that Duerden suggests that the name of the championship be changed.
              Honestly, the arabs can name it whatever they want. We are not a part of it so we don't have a say as to what it should be called.
              He suggests that if Iran were to join, then we can reclaim the name of the championship as Persian Gulf Cup.
              Next time read the article before you make a comment.
              NEXT TIME USE YOUR BRAIN BEFORE YOU POST SUCH A STUPID THREAD , THERE IS NO NEED FOR IRAN TO ENTER SUCH COMPETITIONS WITH ITS DIE HARD ENEMIES,
              BY THE WAY, RECLAIM the name?

THE THREAD TITLE WAS ENOUGH FOR ME NOT TO WASTE TIME ON READING SUCH GARBAGE ARTICLE

ITS PERSIAN GULF NOT GULF , GO BACK TO SCHOOL

Sent from tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arseces View Post
                NEXT TIME USE YOUR BRAIN BEFORE YOU POST SUCH A STUPID THREAD , THERE IS NO NEED FOR IRAN TO ENTER SUCH COMPETITION WITH ITS DIE HARD ENEMIES,
                BY THE WAY, TO RECLAIM ?
                THE THREAD TITLE WAS ENOUGH FOR ME NOT TO WASTE TIME ON READING SUCH GARBAGE ARTICLE

ITS PERSIAN GULF NOT GULF , GO BACK TO SCHOOL
                I am sorry that you did not find it fitting to observe the article posted.
                The author provided great suggestions as to how Iran can receive test matches for a nation that struggles to organize friendlies in the first place.
                As most members have suggested, friendly matches are a good thing for TM.

I do not appreciate the comments you made. Insulting my education when your whole post entails grammatical errors as well as punctuation mistakes really hinders your whole argument.
                In the end you did not read the article, so you have no idea what this thread is about, but you still decided to make an offensive comment.
                For your information, the author does not specify what the gulf's name is specifically. Thus, one is to conclude that it is the Persian Gulf.

I hope that when you have time you take a look at the article. It may enlighten you on the focus of this thread.

Comment

The author provided great suggestions as to how Iran can receive test matches for a nation that struggles to organize friendlies in the first place.

I do not appreciate the comments you made. Insulting my education when your whole post entails grammatical errors as well as punctuation mistakes really hinders your whole argument.
                  In the end you did not read the article, so you have no idea what this thread is about, but you still decided to make an offensive comment.
                  For your information, the author does not specify what the gulf's name is specifically. Thus, one is to conclude that it is the Persian Gulf.

I hope that when you have time you take a look at the article. It may enlighten you on the focus of this thread.
                  He doesn't but he suggests that a neutral name be used. That is unacceptable when it comes to proper names.
                  I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

I DONT CARE WHAT THE ARTICLE SAYS , change the thread title or close it, its persian gulf,

As i said before educate yourself the correct term is persian gulf , as an iranian you must always use the correct terminology

i am typing on mobile phone, a comma here and there doesnt change the point of my argument,

You can take my comments as an insult , i am very happy for what i said, regardless of your take

By the way , one can be educated but still a fool , so i take my earlier comment back ,of telling you to go back to school

When it comes to Iran and its national sovereignty , i dont joke with anyone,

There is no room for discussion here in this thread , unless the title changes to persian gulf

If you used the F-word on my family i would nt be this upset than to see an iranian calling persian gulf, the gulf

Sent from tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X