This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Afat11 View Post
    On the actual topic of friendlies and not allegiances to CQ, I must ask those wanting us to play Sweden and other European good teams before the AC 2015, in what ways do you think such games will help us at the moment?

I know we all want to see quality friendlies, but being realistic with yourselves, what do you all think would happen if we play Sweden tomorrow? We are unprepared, our players do not have any chemistry together after being away from each other for months, and you want them to defend against Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

The entire game would be a replay of Brazil, with us having 9-10 men in the box at all times attempting to defend and save face to not have Zlatan score 5 on us.

I will not say either side of the argument on friendlies is wrong, but these are just questions that pop into my head. I am not attacking anyone personally or categorizing them in any way.

My personal opinion is that, for now, we are doing the right thing to play teams that are as weak or a little weaker than our competition at the group stage of AC 2015. We need to get used to teams that play compact defenses and are gritty, raw players. We need to learn and have chemistry in attack heading into the AC.

Realistically, do any of you think our offense would gain anything from playing Sweden? We are lacking in playmaking and goalscoring, not defense. Let's get those up to snuff, then maybe we can play Sweden and other better teams after the AC when our cohesion and confidence is higher if we have a good tournament.
    None of the fans asked for friendly matches against top national teams in the world like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Netherlands (My favorite national team from childhood to now after Iran), etc.

We could play friendly matches against teams like Costa Rica, Peru, and Paraguay. If not, why we do not play against teams like Uzbekistan, New Zealnd, Oman, etc like other Asian National teams??????

Why Iran plays against a team that is 15 in Portuguese league??????? Why Benfica??? What the young playes or all players learned from those games? (Non-Iranian Big-Soccer fans mentioned that) Do not you think Iran with players like Dejagah, Jahanbakhsh, Nekounam, etc was classier than playing against club sides?? Iran Vs Benfica match is like Germany Vs. Atletico Madrid match. Do not you think Germany is classier than playing against Atletico Madrid?? Iran Vs Estoril match is like Japan Vs Stoke City. Do not you think Japan is classier than playing against that club? CQ insisted Portugal camp and those matches against clubs to give chance to Portuguese clubs to play against a national team for their first time in history. Anyway, group stage exit from AC 2015 is my prediction at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Arash_1998 View Post
      None of the fans asked for friendly matches against top national teams in the world like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Netherlands (My favorite national team from childhood to now after Iran), etc.
      We could play friendly matches against teams like Costa Rica, Peru, and Paraguay. If not, why we do not play against teams like Uzbekistan, New Zealnd, Oman, etc like other Asian National teams??????
      Why Iran plays against a team that is 15 in Portuguese league??????? Why Benfica??? What the young playes or all players learned from those games? (Non-Iranian Big-Soccer fans mentioned that) Do not you think Iran with players like Dejagah, Jahanbakhsh, Nekounam, etc was classier than playing against club sides?? Iran Vs Benfica match is like Germany Vs. Atletico Madrid match. Do not you think Germany is classier than playing against Atletico Madrid?? Iran Vs Estoril match is like Japan Vs Stoke City. Do not you think Japan is classier than playing against that club? CQ insisted Portugal camp and those matches against clubs to give chance to Portuguese clubs to play against a national team for their first time in history. Anyway, group stage exit from AC 2015 is my prediction at this point.
      I wasn't saying that playing clubs is the way to go. I also want us to play teams like Uzbekistan, Iraq, and other teams more to our caliber, but I still don't think we are even ready to play teams like Costa Rica, Peru, etc.

These teams have speed and tactics. 2 things that our team is currently lacking and needs to work on. I think the Portuguese friendlies were due to the fact that CQ was signed up so late, and they were matches of necessity rather than the top choices. Obviously we aren't doing that anymore until Asian Cup, so I think the friendlies served their purpose on short notice.

My post was supporting playing teams such as Kenya, Iraq, and even teams like Thailand. Iran needs to work on its offense, and it simply cannot grow at this moment in time playing teams that are cohesive and speedy. We will sit back and try to defend the whole game, and it will be a waste of FIFA match-day in my eyes.

We need to play some weaker teams now to give the newer players like Jahanbakhsh and Azmoun confidence. Going into the Asian Cup, they can feel more comfortable when they have the ball at their feet to attack.

Post-Asian Cup, I'm all with you though, we need to then start playing real teams. CQ has built a strong foundation in the team, and they just need confidence and practice in order to jump back into being able to compete with the top 40 teams of the world.

I say Sweden/Costa Rica/Peru after the Asian Cup. I really don't see them helping us now. I don't think the Portugal camp did much either, but what can you expect on short notice? If it did anything, it gave Jahanbakhsh and Azmoun confidence boosts, which we will need in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by ghermez agha View Post
        1. http://farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13930804000440

2. They are not eliminated YET but are all on the brink of elimination or at risk of being eliminated. My apologies for not clearly understanding what you meant as it seems you were referring to the preliminary round. Also I don't understand or know when FIFA rankings became an accurate measurement of teams capabilities....if that would be the case then Trinidad and Tobago and also Cape Verde.

3. Couldn't agree with you more, but have you seen Kenya play? If so, then it's just a difference of opinion and you definitely have every right to have your own opinion. Personally I have watched them play over the last 5-6 years here and there in qualifiers and they have given some big teams in their continent great games, I don't think losing to other minnows narrowly once or twice makes them a team worthy of nothing.

I don't think CQ has more choices then what is at hand and that's where the criticism gets stupid IMO. It is the job of the federation to get friendlies, not the head coach. We have to prepare what we are heading for and a team like Kenya will prepare us for teams in our group.
        GA jaan, you are right about FIFA rankings not being that accurate, but we're talking about +/- 20 spots really, not +/-100 spots. Kenya is currently ranked 116th for a reason - they've even struggled against the 3 teams I named (one of which I honestly had not even heard of as a country). Yes, when you talk about them being good 5-6 years ago they were actually ranked 68th in the world - a little bit below the range of Guinea when we played them earlier this year and frankly a worthy opponent at the time if we were just preparing for the Asian Cup. But 116th is a totally different story IMHO.

As far as the Zimbabwe game, I hope your interpretation of what CQ said is right, but the way I read it he just didn't confirm it, rather than denying it altogether. Someone posted a memo from the football fed earlier in the thread, so who knows what's going on.

On your last point, I totally agree with you that it's the job of IFF to arrange the friendlies, but they only do so at the request of CQ and he said many times before the WC that he didn't want to play better teams. Also, not once has he said that he requested a friendly that IFF could not deliver on and as you know, he's not really the shy type when it comes to the media or criticizing the federation. Ultimately, although you could be right, I don't think it's CQ's desire to play any teams other than those we're playing.

And I don't have a problem with playing Kenya or Palestine for a charity match with our "B" or an experimental young team - I just don't think we should be playing them with our "A" team and in preparation for a major tournament. Imagine how humiliating and crushing it would be to the morale of the players if we have a bad day and lost to or tied Palestine three weeks before the Asian Cup? On the other hand, imagine how much of a morale boost a tie against a strong team would be? For god's sake, we held Nigeria and Argnetina in the WC - we really don't need to be putzing around with Palestine and Kenya.

I wasn't saying that playing clubs is the way to go. I also want us to play teams like Uzbekistan, Iraq, and other teams more to our caliber, but I still don't think we are even ready to play teams like Costa Rica, Peru, etc.
        This is the part of the argument I really struggle with. Almost all of us agree that we played a good game against Argentina 4 months ago. If we were ready to play Argentina 4 months ago, why are we not ready to play a team like Costa Rica? Also, CQ has been with the team for almost 4 years now. How much longer do we have to wait to be ready to play Costa Rica? Honestly, I can't even believe I'm asking that question.

Comment

^ Nothing ventured nothing gained. Friendlies also known as test matches are supposed to be challenging. You are supposed to evaluate how you stack up against similar opponents that you might face. Test tactics, and look at the calibre of your squad. You also may want to use it as a tactic to throw off your opponents.

Unfortunately, we always seem to play "inferior" teams, using only 1 tactic, the same one we use in all our games, and really no surprise to the Iranian game plan at all. Ok, so let's not play Sweden before AC, fine...but again, what does Sweden do for us after AC and well 3 years before the next WC? What will be evaluating? Is this really a wise way to spend million + dollars? I would rather actually play Sweden before AC and Benfica after...I just feel the priorities are all tangled, and am not sure if it's CQ, IFF, a combination, or neither to blame.
          Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Kaffashian said today that the Sweeden match is a %100 done deal for March 31 in Sweeden
            We will also play either Kenya or an Arab team (it could be Iraq)for sure on November 13 th and they are taking the south korea friendly very seriously.
            He also said that TM in South Africa camp will play 2 club teams and 2 national teams.

Comment

Sv: TM-News-

Originally posted by sarbaz View Post
              Kaffashian said today that the Sweeden match is a %100 done deal for March 31 in Sweeden
              We will also play either Kenya or an Arab team (it could be Iraq)for sure on November 13 th and they are taking the south korea friendly very seriously.
              He also said that TM in South Africa camp will play 2 club teams and 2 national teams.
              Sounds good! BUT, 4 games in South Africa sounds too good to be true.

Comment

"FIFA President Blatter Congratulates Iran Football Federationhttp://www.tasnimnews.com/English/Home/Single/544193

"Harambee Stars to confront Iran in friendlyhttp://www.goal.com/en-ke/news/4522/...an-in-friendly

Comment

You see, of IFF could just get used to plan months in advance instead of their usual koskhol bazi, we could actually have decent friendlies when there is time for it..

Comment

This is the attitude we must have...

Comment

On the actual topic of friendlies and not allegiances to CQ, I must ask those wanting us to play Sweden and other European good teams before the AC 2015, in what ways do you think such games will help us at the moment?
                      I know we all want to see quality friendlies, but being realistic with yourselves, what do you all think would happen if we play Sweden tomorrow? We are unprepared, our players do not have any chemistry together after being away from each other for months, and you want them to defend against Zlatan Ibrahimovic?
                      The entire game would be a replay of Brazil, with us having 9-10 men in the box at all times attempting to defend and save face to not have Zlatan score 5 on us.
                      I will not say either side of the argument on friendlies is wrong, but these are just questions that pop into my head. I am not attacking anyone personally or categorizing them in any way.
                      My personal opinion is that, for now, we are doing the right thing to play teams that are as weak or a little weaker than our competition at the group stage of AC 2015. We need to get used to teams that play compact defenses and are gritty, raw players. We need to learn and have chemistry in attack heading into the AC.
                      Realistically, do any of you think our offense would gain anything from playing Sweden? We are lacking in playmaking and goalscoring, not defense. Let's get those up to snuff, then maybe we can play Sweden and other better teams after the AC when our cohesion and confidence is higher if we have a good tournament.
                      If we play Sweden, we shouldn't park the bus as in the world cup but try to play our game without any fear, even if we have to concede 5 goals.

I respect Australia for having played Brazil and France 6 months before the WC (6/0 each time), they learnt about it and did a very good WC in a tough group.

Comment

I would take any praise from Sepp Blatter with a pinch of salt. The guy is looking for votes to get re-elected in the next election.

Comment

For decades we only play shit friendlies against third or fourth tier teams in the world. If stronger teams were available they brought B, C, youth or Burger King worker teams.

And now you complain about Portuguese clubs, South Korea, Kenya and Iraq? Sadly this is among the top lineups for AC prep I've ever experienced and you guys talk as if we play Italy and Argentina on regular basis.

Comment

Sv: TM-News-

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
                            For decades we only play shit friendlies against third or fourth tier teams in the world. If stronger teams were available they brought B, C, youth or Burger King worker teams.

And now you complain about Portuguese clubs, South Korea, Kenya and Iraq? Sadly this is among the top lineups for AC prep I've ever experienced and you guys talk as if we play Italy and Argentina on regular basis.
                            Before Kenya, Iraq, and probable friendlies in Africa, I was DEFINITELY NOT satisfied! But now, it's looking good with a filled out schedule, especially with planning for months in advance against Sweden and maybe Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
                              Comon mate, let's be objective. We played Russia, Brazil, Albania, and Montenegro, all as Friendlies since 2010. Even if what you say is true, the Burger King lineup from Brazil is better than any team you mentioned above.

We also had matches against Guinea, Mauritania, Mozambique, Belarus, Tunisia, Jordan, and Oman since 2012...and none of the teams you mentioned above, are significantly different than the teams I have listed.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                                If we play Sweden, we shouldn't park the bus as in the world cup but try to play our game without any fear, even if we have to concede 5 goals.
                                I respect Australia for having played Brazil and France 6 months before the WC (6/0 each time), they learnt about it and did a very good WC in a tough group.
                                Where is Australia now though? Have they had any tangible benefit from those 6-0 losses? They've been losing to Qatar and Arab teams the last few months. If they are your model for TM, I don't think we see eye to eye.
                                There is practicing wrestling or weight-lifting against someone your similar strength/in your weight class or less strong than you to build up your strength, but trying to out-lift guys involved in Strongman competitions or out-wrestle olympic caliber athletes right when you are starting out is not a great idea.

Like any sport, we need to practice to get better. Getting your ass whipped to prepare for a small Asian-only tournament that is 2 months away does not seem helpful to me. I wouldn't mind the ass-whipping in 4 months though, when we need to start preparing for WC, but at the moment, a 6-0 loss like Australia had will hurt us more than help us.

Comment

Working...
                                X