X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marc Wilmots to be named Team Melli’s manager: report

Marc Wilmots to be named Team Melli’s manager: report

TEHRAN, May 13 (MNA) – According to Belgian media, Marc Wilmots is going to be announced as the new manager of Iran’s National Football Team, better known as Team Melli.

According to a report by RTBF, negotiations between the Belgian manager and the Iranian federation is going to be completed in a few hours.

Marc Wilmots would ask for $1,500,000 a year, as well as two Belgian assistants. For its part, the Iranian Federation would like Wilmots to accept an Iranian deputy in his staff which would probably be Javad Nekounam, former international and captain of Team Melli, and former player of Osasuna in Spanish Liga.

Wilmots has been unemployed since November 2017 and Ivory Coast's non-qualification for the Russian World Cup.

Carlos Queiroz stepped down as Team Melli coach after the 3-0 defeat against Japan in the semifinal of AFC Asian Cup on January 28. He left Tehran for Lisbon three days later after Iran’s Football Federation didn’t offer any proposal for extending his contract. He then signed with Colombian football federation to coach the South American team.

Bert van Marwijk, Vincenzo Montella, Julen Lopetegui, Hervé Renard and Dick Advocaat were among other coaches who had been linked with the Iran job.

The Iranian federation has not officially confirmed the deal but according to reports, it is doing preparations to reveal Wilmots in a special ceremony.

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/145209/...manager-report

lol a big downgrade from CQ and need to pay roughly the same for his services

Comment

Inshalal we will WIN and in World Cup 2022 we will go second round. We had to keep Carlos Quriouz we will know how good he was for us.

I still hope Carlos Quriouz would ve back after the World Cup 2022. But at least we need now to support Marc Wilmots for another 8 years?

Comment

Failing to qualify with all the talent in Ivory Coast really takes some skills!!!

thumbs down

IFF, keep looking, plz

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
          Failing to qualify with all the talent in Ivory Coast really takes some skills!!!

thumbs down

IFF, keep looking, plz
          Not saying that he is the perfect choice for us , to be fair I’m not too knowledgable on his management style or style of play but that was a tough group with Morocco who are a good team and Gabon with Aubameyang up front. Plus Ivory Coast have taken a while to get over losing their ‘golden generation’ with players like Drogba and the Toure brothers. Can see them qualifying for next World Cup though especially with Pepe coming through.

Comment

he sucks

Comment

depressing news if it's true

Comment

Middle eastern football federations and throwing money at mediocre whiteboys.

Name a better duo.

Comment

CQ did not have a good resume before joining us as well , so who knows ?
                  sigpic

Comment

I’m personally 100% behind him. Yes CQ was a supper star, however we never know how good our new coach is without seeing him inaction. Good luck. Cheers 🍻
                    sigpic
                    SUPPORT TEAM MELLI
                    IRAN
                    - IRAN - ONLY IRAN

IRAN OUT OF AFC NOW!

IRAN WILL ROCK IN ASIA AGAIN IF IRI IS OVERTHROWN... MUBARAK, BIN-ALI, NOW IT IS THE TURN FOR SEID ALI

Comment

Not a good pick. However, I am hopeful he will do better than his predecessor.

Comment

He is good enough. I doubt we can get someone much better with the current situation.

Comment

fail. only good news is javad neko

Comment

I remember we had the same negative impression before CQ was gonna come to Iran! Whether he's good for us or not depends on how good he can handle things with the authorities. the best head coach for us is not necessarily someone who's had a fantastic career outside Iran but someone who can manage to get hold of the things inside.

If you want to look at it from a Positive perspective: He failed with Ivory coast so he's hungry to prove himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Ab-Gosht View Post
                              fail. only good news is javad neko
                              For me that's not a good news! In before Nekounam takes over TM after him!

Comment

Working...
                              X